Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
KVRAF
3668 posts since 8 Jul, 2008 from UK

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:48 am

The PA download manager doesn't tell you if there are updates though does it ? Or am I missing something ?
"Part Man, Part Machine, Part Bird, Part Drum - It's Robo-bongo-cuckoo-cop" - James Acaster

User avatar
KVRian
532 posts since 27 Aug, 2020

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:58 am

BTW, Dimitry has recently updated Thorn and fixed a few bugs.

User avatar
KVRAF
2165 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:02 am

LeVzi wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:48 am
The PA download manager doesn't tell you if there are updates though does it ? Or am I missing something ?
no, that is quite a lack of functionality.

only pa does send emals when there are updates, but not always, it seems.

the pa installer also doesn't take care of activations...

the only pre is: installing all your plugins of pa in one go...
take me as apple as reed-son as flesh-icon, immediately
shits the wise man. hero and blind. take me as
stick as tongue as dog... Music & Soundscraping

User avatar
KVRAF
2007 posts since 21 Mar, 2012 from ..from.. from.. FROM

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:15 am

crickey13 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:58 am
BTW, Dimitry has recently updated Thorn and fixed a few bugs.
Has he added any new features or really done anything with it? Since he went with PA, it seems like Thorn has sort of stagnated. Still a great synth, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
KVRian
532 posts since 27 Aug, 2020

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:19 am

EnochLight wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:15 am
Has he added any new features or really done anything with it? Since he went with PA, it seems like Thorn has sort of stagnated. Still a great synth, though.
DS Thorn - Changelog

Version 1.3.0 (Sep 17, 2021)
- fixed several crash bugs
- fixed artifacts when using low buffersizexs


Version 1.2.1 (Jun 6, 2019)
- fixed issues with Bitwig Studio on Mac in VST3
- fixed a crash in Cakewalk Sonar 2019.01 on Windows in VST3
- fixed a crash with Error c0000005 in Cakewalk on Windows in VST3
- fixed Thorn opens in Mono only in Studio One 4
- fixed issues with relocated Document folder on Windows
- fixed a crash in Reaper in VST3 when selecting the generic UI

Version 1.2 (Feb 7, 2019)
- Initial released version

KVRian
878 posts since 8 May, 2018 from Sweden

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:42 am

WasteLand wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:02 am
LeVzi wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:48 am
The PA download manager doesn't tell you if there are updates though does it ? Or am I missing something ?
no, that is quite a lack of functionality.

only pa does send emals when there are updates, but not always, it seems.

the pa installer also doesn't take care of activations...

the only pre is: installing all your plugins of pa in one go...
Glad I'm not the only one. I've taken to just occasionally run the manager to redownload everything, just in case there have been some updates. Can't be bothered to keep checking my email all the time. Of course if you forget to change from "All Products" to "My Products" you end up accidentally installing hundreds of plugins you don't have a license for and then you have another massive headache on your hands.

For a plugin manager, it does surprisingly little managing of plugins.

KVRAF
4686 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:01 am

furst: PA is having some problems caused by the floods in Germany if you didn't know. Their place was destroyed (including all their collectable gear). They are rebuilding rn.

second: if you havent updated in a while you should, because there has been improvements in thorn. it doesn't step through semi tones anymore for example (thank the lord). It's basically been smoothed and behavioral fixes.

third: it's not so much a plugin manager as it is a download manager, and it's surprisingly light.

User avatar
KVRist
247 posts since 10 Jun, 2007 from Netherlands

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:07 am

crickey13 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:19 am
EnochLight wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:15 am
Has he added any new features or really done anything with it? Since he went with PA, it seems like Thorn has sort of stagnated. Still a great synth, though.
DS Thorn - Changelog

Version 1.3.0 (Sep 17, 2021)
- fixed several crash bugs
- fixed artifacts when using low buffersizexs


Version 1.2.1 (Jun 6, 2019)
- fixed issues with Bitwig Studio on Mac in VST3
- fixed a crash in Cakewalk Sonar 2019.01 on Windows in VST3
- fixed a crash with Error c0000005 in Cakewalk on Windows in VST3
- fixed Thorn opens in Mono only in Studio One 4
- fixed issues with relocated Document folder on Windows
- fixed a crash in Reaper in VST3 when selecting the generic UI

Version 1.2 (Feb 7, 2019)
- Initial released version
Thanks.
PA messed up the changelog though. There was also a version 1.2.2. That was the one I had installed before I updated to 1.3.0.

User avatar
KVRAF
2007 posts since 21 Mar, 2012 from ..from.. from.. FROM

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:06 am

crickey13 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:19 am
EnochLight wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:15 am
Has he added any new features or really done anything with it? Since he went with PA, it seems like Thorn has sort of stagnated. Still a great synth, though.
DS Thorn - Changelog

Version 1.3.0 (Sep 17, 2021)
- fixed several crash bugs
- fixed artifacts when using low buffersizexs


Version 1.2.1 (Jun 6, 2019)
- fixed issues with Bitwig Studio on Mac in VST3
- fixed a crash in Cakewalk Sonar 2019.01 on Windows in VST3
- fixed a crash with Error c0000005 in Cakewalk on Windows in VST3
- fixed Thorn opens in Mono only in Studio One 4
- fixed issues with relocated Document folder on Windows
- fixed a crash in Reaper in VST3 when selecting the generic UI

Version 1.2 (Feb 7, 2019)
- Initial released version
Thanks for posting this! Yeah, development has definitely stagnated (though it's nice to see bugs getting fixed). Really hoping he has a 1.5 or 2.0 version in the works. :party:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
KVRAF
16437 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:14 am

You can of course just download the individual Thorn installer from your PA account. I've never installed the manager and I own several PA branded plugins.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

User avatar
KVRian
532 posts since 27 Aug, 2020

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:59 am

This kvr database is wrong, this is not a serial number activation though, just a regular C/R, requires computer ID to generate a license file.

User avatar
KVRian
891 posts since 14 Jul, 2018

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:12 am

WasteLand wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:04 am
by the way. it works only one time. but they will reset it after a few days...
is it combinable with the monthly 25er voucher ?
i.e.: 20+25 -> 45off ?

User avatar
KVRAF
2165 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:19 am

muki wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:12 am
WasteLand wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:04 am
by the way. it works only one time. but they will reset it after a few days...
is it combinable with the monthly 25er voucher ?
i.e.: 20+25 -> 45off ?
uh, that is new, or odd, or i didn't notice it before, a mega sale, while there is a monthly voucher... most of the times, or o well!

try it, the monthly voucher can be used for $32 and up....

should work...
take me as apple as reed-son as flesh-icon, immediately
shits the wise man. hero and blind. take me as
stick as tongue as dog... Music & Soundscraping

User avatar
KVRAF
6376 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:54 am

My monthly expired 26th… What a coincidence…; - )

User avatar
KVRian
891 posts since 14 Jul, 2018

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:17 am

Tj Shredder wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:54 am
My monthly expired 26th… What a coincidence…; - )
oops...correct...

Return to “Instruments”