Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

The PA download manager doesn't tell you if there are updates though does it ? Or am I missing something ?
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

BTW, Dimitry has recently updated Thorn and fixed a few bugs.

LeVzi wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:48 am The PA download manager doesn't tell you if there are updates though does it ? Or am I missing something ?
no, that is quite a lack of functionality.

only pa does send emals when there are updates, but not always, it seems.

the pa installer also doesn't take care of activations...

the only pre is: installing all your plugins of pa in one go...

crickey13 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:58 am BTW, Dimitry has recently updated Thorn and fixed a few bugs.
Has he added any new features or really done anything with it? Since he went with PA, it seems like Thorn has sort of stagnated. Still a great synth, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:15 pm Has he added any new features or really done anything with it? Since he went with PA, it seems like Thorn has sort of stagnated. Still a great synth, though.
DS Thorn - Changelog

Version 1.3.0 (Sep 17, 2021)
- fixed several crash bugs
- fixed artifacts when using low buffersizexs

Version 1.2.1 (Jun 6, 2019)
- fixed issues with Bitwig Studio on Mac in VST3
- fixed a crash in Cakewalk Sonar 2019.01 on Windows in VST3
- fixed a crash with Error c0000005 in Cakewalk on Windows in VST3
- fixed Thorn opens in Mono only in Studio One 4
- fixed issues with relocated Document folder on Windows
- fixed a crash in Reaper in VST3 when selecting the generic UI

Version 1.2 (Feb 7, 2019)
- Initial released version

WasteLand wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:02 am
LeVzi wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:48 am The PA download manager doesn't tell you if there are updates though does it ? Or am I missing something ?
no, that is quite a lack of functionality.

only pa does send emals when there are updates, but not always, it seems.

the pa installer also doesn't take care of activations...

the only pre is: installing all your plugins of pa in one go...
Glad I'm not the only one. I've taken to just occasionally run the manager to redownload everything, just in case there have been some updates. Can't be bothered to keep checking my email all the time. Of course if you forget to change from "All Products" to "My Products" you end up accidentally installing hundreds of plugins you don't have a license for and then you have another massive headache on your hands.

For a plugin manager, it does surprisingly little managing of plugins.

furst: PA is having some problems caused by the floods in Germany if you didn't know. Their place was destroyed (including all their collectable gear). They are rebuilding rn.

second: if you havent updated in a while you should, because there has been improvements in thorn. it doesn't step through semi tones anymore for example (thank the lord). It's basically been smoothed and behavioral fixes.

third: it's not so much a plugin manager as it is a download manager, and it's surprisingly light.

crickey13 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:19 pm
EnochLight wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:15 pm Has he added any new features or really done anything with it? Since he went with PA, it seems like Thorn has sort of stagnated. Still a great synth, though.
DS Thorn - Changelog

Thanks.
PA messed up the changelog though. There was also a version 1.2.2. That was the one I had installed before I updated to 1.3.0.

crickey13 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:19 pm
DS Thorn - Changelog

Thanks for posting this! Yeah, development has definitely stagnated (though it's nice to see bugs getting fixed). Really hoping he has a 1.5 or 2.0 version in the works. :party:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

You can of course just download the individual Thorn installer from your PA account. I've never installed the manager and I own several PA branded plugins.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

This kvr database is wrong, this is not a serial number activation though, just a regular C/R, requires computer ID to generate a license file.

WasteLand wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:04 am by the way. it works only one time. but they will reset it after a few days...
is it combinable with the monthly 25er voucher ?
i.e.: 20+25 -> 45off ?

muki wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:12 pm
WasteLand wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:04 am by the way. it works only one time. but they will reset it after a few days...
is it combinable with the monthly 25er voucher ?
i.e.: 20+25 -> 45off ?
uh, that is new, or odd, or i didn't notice it before, a mega sale, while there is a monthly voucher... most of the times, or o well!

try it, the monthly voucher can be used for $32 and up....

should work...

My monthly expired 26th… What a coincidence…; - )

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:54 pm My monthly expired 26th… What a coincidence…; - )
oops...correct...

Return to “Instruments”