Ableton Live 11.1 - Apple Silicon support public beta now available

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
User avatar
KVRAF
2395 posts since 9 Dec, 2011 from falling

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:00 am

The amount of screen real estate reclaimed by the way all Clip view properties are now displayed in tabs instead of additional panels is a big space-saving change. This is nice.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10696 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:05 am

billcarroll wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:00 am
The amount of screen real estate reclaimed by the way all Clip view properties are now displayed in tabs instead of additional panels is a big space-saving change. This is nice.
Not gonna lie - as a laptop user that's what I'm looking forward to the most :)
Stuff for sale @ Knobcloud: 1 year of Reason+, iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, Cubase Pro 11



Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10696 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:07 am

billcarroll wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:00 am
Andy also worked on the Wavetable filters...
It's not clear, but to me it sounds like the new high-quality mode is the default mode as it was in 10.x and 11.0, whereas now the new default mode is lower quality filters, that saves ~25% of CPU? Together with new options of disabling CPU meter it's clear they're trying to improve PERCEPTUAL performance of Live, which was the subject of many complaints ;)
Stuff for sale @ Knobcloud: 1 year of Reason+, iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, Cubase Pro 11



Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRAF
2395 posts since 9 Dec, 2011 from falling

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:11 am

antic604 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:05 am
billcarroll wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:00 am
The amount of screen real estate reclaimed by the way all Clip view properties are now displayed in tabs instead of additional panels is a big space-saving change. This is nice.
Not gonna lie - as a laptop user that's what I'm looking forward to the most :)
The new Clip view properties tabs are a nice improvement.

Image

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10696 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:41 am

billcarroll wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:11 am
The new Clip view properties tabs are a nice improvement.

Image
Looks good!

Can you please post those new FX devices: Shifter and Align Delay? Also what's changed with Shaper? I thought it was always triggered by MIDI?
Stuff for sale @ Knobcloud: 1 year of Reason+, iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, Cubase Pro 11



Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRAF
2395 posts since 9 Dec, 2011 from falling

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:08 am

antic604 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:41 am
...
Can you please post those new FX devices: Shifter and Align Delay? Also what's changed with Shaper? I thought it was always triggered by MIDI?
"Shifter" is labeled "Frequency Shifter" and shows up under Audio Effects, although it can be inserted on Audio or MIDI tracks.
Image

Align Delay is a Max for Live device which I can't seem to find at them moment. Same goes for MIDI Shaper.

User avatar
KVRAF
20418 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:25 am

Nice update!

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10696 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:27 am

billcarroll wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:08 am
"Shifter" is labeled "Frequency Shifter" and shows up under Audio Effects, although it can be inserted on Audio or MIDI tracks.
Image
Nice! Thank you! :)
Stuff for sale @ Knobcloud: 1 year of Reason+, iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, Cubase Pro 11



Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRist
48 posts since 20 Mar, 2016

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:36 am

Some additional info/screenshots here as well:

https://cdm.link/2021/09/ableton-live-1 ... n-support/

Dan
Windows/Mac | Studio One, Live, Logic | Push 2, Maschine MKIII, Atom SQ | Presonus Quantum 2, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, | Fender, Godin, Taylor

User avatar
KVRian
1042 posts since 14 Apr, 2008 from /* whitenoise */

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:08 am

Nice Update. I bet we will see up to 11.5 a complete overhaul of the devices which still in pre-11 status (beside AAS and Softube stuff) so better Push integration and MPE more refinements on the UI + more shortcuts. Exciting. A next generation Operator and a quick bounce in place are my biggest wishes.

I do not like to use Bitwig but I like that there is competition for non-traditional DAW on the market.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

KVRist
428 posts since 4 Apr, 2006

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:48 am

great update, too bad they still won't give us back the old pen behaviour - I hate having to hold alt to change velocity, it was so slick to just drag down to change the velocity in all the previous versions. boohuu

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10696 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:05 am

docbot wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:48 am
great update, too bad they still won't give us back the old pen behaviour - I hate having to hold alt to change velocity, it was so slick to just drag down to change the velocity in all the previous versions. boohuu
I'm not sure what you mean? When in pencil mode, you can draw velocities without any modifier (in current stable v11.0.1, at least) - just make sure no note is selected.

Image
Stuff for sale @ Knobcloud: 1 year of Reason+, iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, Cubase Pro 11



Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRist
428 posts since 4 Apr, 2006

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:54 am

antic604 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:05 am
I'm not sure what you mean? When in pencil mode, you can draw velocities without any modifier (in current stable v11.0.1, at least) - just make sure no note is selected.
That's not what I mean, in all the previous versions before 11 you could click in a note and drag down to adjust the velocity in the same step/click. now you have to click in the note and then select it again holding "alt" and drag down to change a notes velocity (on the note). But nobody really seems to care about more clicks and presses, otherwise they would have already changed it back, but what I love about Ableton, is that it's exactly not as convoluted as other daws and straight to the point.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10696 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:07 am

docbot wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:54 am
antic604 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:05 am
I'm not sure what you mean? When in pencil mode, you can draw velocities without any modifier (in current stable v11.0.1, at least) - just make sure no note is selected.
That's not what I mean, in all the previous versions before 11 you could click in a note and drag down to adjust the velocity in the same step/click. now you have to click in the note and then select it again holding "alt" and drag down to change a notes velocity (on the note). But nobody really seems to care about more clicks and presses, otherwise they would have already changed it back, but what I love about Ableton, is that it's exactly not as convoluted as other daws and straight to the point.
Really? Wouldn't that just move the note in arrow mode and delete it in pencil mode? In every other DAW changing velocity always requires modifier key (although S1 in t.2 or 5.3 added a gesture that doesn't need modifier that's available if you're zoomed enough vertically).
Stuff for sale @ Knobcloud: 1 year of Reason+, iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, Cubase Pro 11



Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRAF
8236 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:11 am

billcarroll wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:08 am
Align Delay is a Max for Live device which I can't seem to find at them moment. Same goes for MIDI Shaper.
Takes a while, just leave Live open and they will appear!
PC + S49 MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”