Your plugin collection vs starting over again

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Having bought and sold so much stuff, abandoned stuff I don't use and can't resell, I'm curious what others' plugin collections would look like if starting over (meaning, you've got nothing, and have to buy the things you want/need/use).

I still have things installed that I'm in the process of figuring out if I really want/need them. But, considering I went from 850GB of stuff (samples, instruments, effects, NI stuff, etc) and around 50 instruments, I'm now down to 50GB and 20 VST instruments. But, I may reduce further. Some of the stuff on the chopping block - if I had to rebuy them, I would not.

for synths, u-he and microtonic. it's what i use 99% of the time
i could live on that.

Synths included with host, could easily survive with those.

Use the synth/instrument for whatever genres interest you, and then keep instruments, effects, samples that apply. Simple but could take years to figure it out.
<List your stupid gear here>

Softube Modular & Model 84, Oberhausen, Pigments and Maschine (if it can be considered as an instrument). But sooner or later I'd end up in the same place where I am now, unless I joined GAS Anonymous or something like that.

I guess it depends on your mentality. Could I weed my collection down to a few synths and effects? Of course, but I love having this kind of crazy “attic” full of things. Maybe things I’ve not used in years, but still have value and provide a sort of bit of friction to the process. The act of recollection and getting back up to speed with a plugin puts me into a very different mindset than I am when I go to something that I’ve used a billion times and know inside and out. It’s like a slightly more awake feeling. I’ll force myself to go to plugins that I’ve not used in a while just to get out of the kinds of ruts I tend to go down if I’m sort of on auto pilot.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I sold a few soft synths and fx in my life, but, I probably wouldn't part with anything I have right now, so, that's that. :)

I have a dozen or so bought plugins out of the 40 total in the virtual side of my studio, and I would buy them again.

The question for me is rather whether or not I would buy something on top of what I have right now. I'm less and less inclined to do so.

Well... if Spire 2 would be released tomorrow, I'd probably buy it in a heartbeat. ;)

itanever wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:39 pm Softube Modular & Model 84, Oberhausen, Pigments and Maschine (if it can be considered as an instrument). But sooner or later I'd end up in the same place where I am now, unless I joined GAS Anonymous or something like that.
I joined Gas Anonymous. They just taught me to blame all my plugin purchases on the dog.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I would buy no Ilok, no Waves and no IK. Basically anything that does not bust my balls with copy protection: Melda, U-He, Klanghelm, TDR, Hornet, Kuassa Audio Assault I'm probably covered just there except for more instruments I'll add Kontakt and Toontrack that needs to be online but it works fine.

I'm also slowly building a Linux only DAW, almost there with only Ugritone, U-He and Audio Assault. It's refreshing to have only a few plugins.
Last edited by Boone777 on Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

jamcat wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:35 pm
itanever wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:39 pm Softube Modular & Model 84, Oberhausen, Pigments and Maschine (if it can be considered as an instrument). But sooner or later I'd end up in the same place where I am now, unless I joined GAS Anonymous or something like that.
I joined Gas Anonymous. They just taught me to blame all my plugin purchases on the dog.
Looks like I'm going to have to get a dog.

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:48 pm I guess it depends on your mentality. Could I weed my collection down to a few synths and effects? Of course, but I love having this kind of crazy “attic” full of things.
Yeah, a bit the same here.

For instruments I really could be fine without any VSTs, just my hardware and Bitwig. But I'd probably still pick up Aalto, Chipsounds, OPS7, Fundamental, maybe Arturia Buchla Easel V.

For FX the list would be considerably longer.

foosnark wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:41 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:48 pm I guess it depends on your mentality. Could I weed my collection down to a few synths and effects? Of course, but I love having this kind of crazy “attic” full of things.
Yeah, a bit the same here.

For instruments I really could be fine without any VSTs, just my hardware and Bitwig. But I'd probably still pick up Aalto, Chipsounds, OPS7, Fundamental, maybe Arturia Buchla Easel V.

For FX the list would be considerably longer.
That’s why we’re the coolest.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

If I were starting over, I am sure I would be fine with just Reaktor.

Return to “Instruments”