Arp Speed Zebra 2

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a way to freely modulate/freely control the arp speed in Zebra 2, or is it always locked to the host tempo? I´d like to have an arpeggio speed up and slow down organically without having to draw a tempo map in the DAW which would affect the rest of the arrangement, which should just stay in the same tempo.
Confessing weakness isn´t one of my strenghts.

The arp speed can't be modulated inside the patch, you'd have to rework the patch to use MSEGs and/or MMAPs to create single notes and pitches. MSEGs and MMAPs can be sped up or slowed down.

Cheers!
Viktor

The unshushable Coktor wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:40 am The arp speed can't be modulated inside the patch, you'd have to rework the patch to use MSEGs and/or MMAPs to create single notes and pitches. MSEGs and MMAPs can be sped up or slowed down.

Cheers!
Viktor
Yeah but beware because if you're using multiple MSEGs those will slowly drift out of sync until you press a key again.

Thanks! I will try that.
Confessing weakness isn´t one of my strenghts.

I doubt the OP is concerned with syncing issues since he/she is trying to modulate the tempo inside the patch, which would break all syncing anyway.

The unshushable Coktor wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:09 am I doubt the OP is concerned with syncing issues since he/she is trying to modulate the tempo inside the patch, which would break all syncing anyway.
Yes, it would break the sync with the DAW, but MSEGs also break sync among themselves.

pierb wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:04 pm ...but MSEGs also break sync among themselves.
I can't confirm that, I did a test with several different MSEGs playing several voices, so that MSEG 1 would play several times in parallel, and MSEG 2 as well, all at the same time. I tested over a time period of 30 minutes without retriggering the first few notes, they did not drift out of sync at all between themselves.
How did you test this? Do you have an example?

Viktor

The unshushable Coktor wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:03 pm I can't confirm that, I did a test with several different MSEGs playing several voices, so that MSEG 1 would play several times in parallel, and MSEG 2 as well, all at the same time. I tested over a time period of 30 minutes without retriggering the first few notes, they did not drift out of sync at all between themselves.
How did you test this? Do you have an example?

Viktor
I actually contacted U-He support about this and sent a demo patch. They told me it was a known issue that wouldn't be fixed.

It's pretty evident on MSEGs with sharp short peaks.

I'll send you a patch and demo later.

Yes, as you said it can break sync with the DAW after a while, and notes need to be retriggered.
But that's a different thing.

You mentioned that MSEGs also break sync among themselves, and that part I can not confirm. When disregarding DAW sync and only looking at how synchronized they run among each other, there is no synching issue between the MSEGs.

Viktor

The unshushable Coktor wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:03 am Yes, as you said it can break sync with the DAW after a while, and notes need to be retriggered.
But that's a different thing.

No I didn't?

This is what I wrote on my email:
In this patch there is an MSGE that lasts 8/16 and another that lasts 1/16. After a couple of bars you will notice the sound is less bright because the MSEG2 which is modulating the OSC pitch seems to lose sync with MSEG1 which is modulating the OSC volume.
Nothing about DAW sync mentioned here...

Aha! I misinterpreted your "it would break the sync with the DAW" from a prior post then.
(I didn't read your emails for my replies though since I don't know which emails are from in our support system.)
But my test from yesterday didn't show anything of the sort, perhaps my quick "test setup" didn't involve specific factors that were present in your own tests - all my MSEGs had roughly the same or very similar lengths.
That's why I asked for an example from your tests. So you used MSEGs with very different lengths, true, that can produce some drift over longer times. The number of repetitions would be vastly different between the MSEGs after a few minutes, which would accentuate tiny differences per loop.

The unshushable Coktor wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:04 pm Aha! I misinterpreted your "it would break the sync with the DAW" from a prior post then.
(I didn't read your emails for my replies though since I don't know which emails are from in our support system.)
But my test from yesterday didn't show anything of the sort, perhaps my quick "test setup" didn't involve specific factors that were present in your own tests - all my MSEGs had roughly the same or very similar lengths.
That's why I asked for an example from your tests. So you used MSEGs with very different lengths, true, that can produce some drift over longer times. The number of repetitions would be vastly different between the MSEGs after a few minutes, which would accentuate tiny differences per loop.
I inspected my patch again and you're absolutely right. My bad.

That change in timbre I was attributing to a sync bug is instead probably caused by the change in phase on long notes.

I created a new patch to try to reproduce this and everything worked as expected. Sorry for the confusion!

Return to “u-he”