Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

Ploki wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:21 pm Why is the PA version download non native then? And you cant get it anywhere else
No idea. I am as confused as you are :ud:

It appears there is a mistake in the communications coming from DS/PA.

EnGee wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:43 am I bought Thorn when it was heavily discounted for $39 from PA.
BeneathClouds wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:43 am It is currently on sale for $39.99.
Oh snap! Well that's an incredible deal. Looks like us early adopters got the shaft and ended up funding Dmitry's venture. :o :party: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Ploki wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:32 am and demo from PA does is NOT apple silicon native - i just tested it.
Did you test this by installing on an M1? It's very possible the installers only install the architecture for the machine you are on. Possible, but also a very stupid move.

I looked at the installer packages, but unfortunately, PA uses some sort of private bundle format that I could find no way to decompress and examine to see if there were both native and x64 binaries.

It is notable that the GUI now shows: "AU x64 v1.3.0", so that tends to make me think that they don't have universal binaries.
Last edited by teilo on Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I paid like 15 bucks for it .. like the current 39.99 deal minus $25 with a voucher .. absolute bargain

teilo wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:21 pm
Ploki wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:32 am and demo from PA does is NOT apple silicon native - i just tested it.
Did you test this by installing on an M1? It's very possible the installers only install the architecture for the machine you are on. Possible, but also a very stupid move.

I looked at the installer packages, but unfortunately, PA uses some sort of private bundle format that I could find no way to decompress and examine to see if there were both native and x64 binaries.

It is notable that the GUI now shows: "AU x64 v1.3.0", so that tends to make me think that they don't have universal binaries.
I did install on M1 today.

Ploki wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:32 pm
teilo wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:21 pm

I did install on M1 today.
In that case, my guess is that Dmitry is ready for Apple Silicon, but the PA framework is not, so they dropped the native support until the PA framework is ready.

f**k PA. Incompetent

Just bought it and didn't read manual yet,so sorry if it's my mistake,but is it filter section of 1.3 changed?
If i remember correct from demo first releases had serial and parallel switch..
Sorry if it's mistaken memory,human brain do it sometime when stop consume alcohol :)
Cheers :)

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:28 pm Just bought it and didn't read manual yet,so sorry if it's my mistake,but is it filter section of 1.3 changed?
If i remember correct from demo first releases had serial and parallel switch..
Sorry if it's mistaken memory,human brain do it sometime when stop consume alcohol :)
you can input to filter2 from OSC or Filter1, so it's a series/parallel switch - just named differently.

few thoughts after buying it:
- i bought it because dmitry is a really nice guy
- its a pretty cool WT synth with a few neat tricks up its sleeve. I can do zebra-esque WT mod stuff without being dragged by zebra's overwhelming UX - which is not a critique of zebra, but its simply not quick for simple stuff.
- totally worth the current price, well maintained, sounds good, good filters, lots of character.

and bones is probably gonna lose it because he likes Thorn - but workflow reminds me of Hive a lot, so it took me right about f**k-all minutes to feel at home with it.
Not going to replace my go-to, but it has a cool interface, cool sound, enough variety and is quick and fun to work with.

had memory of such switch knob when first came out the demo,might be just may confused brain,had to stop alcohol for like 6 months hihihihi :)

I contacted Dimitry about the missing Apple Silicon/ARM binaries through the contact form at his web site and less than an hour later he emailed me a link to download the binaries. Now that's support! :D :tu:

This synth is very easy to work with and capable of getting some very exciting sounds. The harmonic filter is nifty, and in general I agree that the filters are great - their driven behavior stands out to me as sounding considerably better than average. The oscillator effects are great sound design tools. I feel like its modulation system is as easy to set up as anything, though it doesn't have modern visualization the matrix is very easy to parse. It's quickly becoming a well-loved tool in my kit.
Last edited by Agreed on Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DMuzik wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:37 am I contacted Dimitry about the missing Apple Silicon/ARM binaries through the contact form at his web site and less than an hour later he emailed me a link to download the binaries. Now that's support! :D :tu:
same experience. I bought the synth immediately after receiving an answer from here - that kind of support is a breath of fresh air.

also works flawlessly on my M1

Agreed wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:51 pm This synth is very easy to work with and capable of getting some very exciting sounds. The harmonic filter is nifty, and in general I agree that the filters are great - their driven behavior stands out to me as sounding considerably better than average. The oscillator effects are great sound design tools. I feel like its modulation system is as easy to set up as anything, though it doesn't have modern visualization the matrix is very easy to parse. It's quickly becoming a well-loved tool in my kit.
Agreed, Agreed.

But seriously, I had Thorn for over a year before I got wise to how nice it is. Which is pretty ridiculous considering how much I love Diverson. It was like getting a brand new great softsynth, Thorn sounds really good.

Return to “Instruments”