Arturia SQ 80 V

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
machinesworking
KVRAF
3888 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:28 pm

mholloway wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:19 pm
Ok I finally found it. On mac its:

HD/Library/Audio/Presets/Arturia/Presets/SQ80 V/User

If you look in your User/Library/Audio/Presets path, there's no Arturia folder.

Some companies use the User path, some use the system path. Wheee.
Here anyway the Mac OS preset path is HD/Library/Arturia/Presets/SQ80V/User

There is no rhyme or reason to where a company decides to store presets.

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
10547 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:07 am

mholloway wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:13 pm
T-CM11 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:11 pm
mholloway wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:02 pm
I might be missing something obvious, but I can't seem to import your SQ-80 V presets. They are greyed out in the OSX finder when I go to "import" in the SQ-80 V menu and then look at your folder.
The import function is for non-native presets like sysex, right?
I don't see a function to add native presets in the UI either - I assume that you need to copy the files to the user banks/presets folder on your hard drive. (I think that it's (on Windows) common files/arturia/something something). :wink:
I'm on Mac and trying to figure out where they heck they are... Arturia should really make this more clear in the browser, but it totally abstracts file saving and gives no indication of where things are stored, that I've seen anyway.
It's in Library:Arturia:Presets, if I remember well. Bear in mind that Library is an hidden folder (wonders of the macOS, and the way Apple treats users as morons).

Most companies use the main Library folder, because that's common to all users. If they used the User:Library, any other user would have errors when trying to use the instrument.
Fernando (FMR)

User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
16439 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:18 am

Mark Peters wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:41 pm
DosWasBest wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:10 pm
I bought the SQ80v. Question for you guys. I can't find an answer via google or Buchty.

In 2010 before my esq-m died, I made mdx dumps of my voice crystal cartridges and internal to my windows computers at the time. To this day, I don't know how to get those mdx things converted to read in the sq80v...or sq80l ....preferably by someone else as I don't have linux or savvy for it.

Lke I say, I've read the Buchty site. I get it that he wouldn't want to do the conversions, but I sort of thought by now in time, I'd hear of someone somewhere who can/will.

Any tips? It'd be cool to get the cartridge sounds into the sq.
I think changing the extension to .syx will do the trick.
If that doesn't work KVR member glokraw is an avid Linux user. Maybe send him a PM:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=43573

I have a couple of Linux systems but I'm not really a "power user" so I'm not sure I could get the SQ80 Toolkit working.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

tactile_coast
KVRist
72 posts since 14 Nov, 2020

Post Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:37 pm

A fascinating 3 minutes for fans of the software/hardware.

Bill Mauchly & John Senior | Ensoniq meets SQ80 V

https://youtu.be/q-DfUolbNc4

User avatar
DrGonzo
KVRAF
2715 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from A Swede Living in Budapest

Post Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:44 pm

machinesworking wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:28 pm
There is no rhyme or reason to where a company decides to store presets.
Truly... every company has their own idea of where to put their presets and additional files. And Arturia is slightly "weirder" than most. For example, they have a special folder for samples (for Pigments / Mellotron etc) - but no matter how many user samples you drag in - this folder is empty until the moment you Export the bank - and re-import it. Until that moment, the samples are located in their original locations.

But once you got a hang of their MO, it's quite easy to deal with.
Plughugger Sound Design
ELEMENT 27 - MODAL COBALT8 sounds for OMNISPHERE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

ghostwhistler
KVRist
479 posts since 31 Dec, 2020

Post Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:03 am

How close could this synth get to recreating the Synclavier gong sound (specifically the versoin used on Kiew Mission by Tangerine Dream)?

I gave up trying it using the actual Synclavier V :D

It wasn't for me, no hating on the product. It just wasn't something I could make work

User avatar
machinesworking
KVRAF
3888 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:32 am

DrGonzo wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:44 pm
machinesworking wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:28 pm
There is no rhyme or reason to where a company decides to store presets.
Truly... every company has their own idea of where to put their presets and additional files. And Arturia is slightly "weirder" than most. For example, they have a special folder for samples (for Pigments / Mellotron etc) - but no matter how many user samples you drag in - this folder is empty until the moment you Export the bank - and re-import it. Until that moment, the samples are located in their original locations.

But once you got a hang of their MO, it's quite easy to deal with.
It's annoying as hell. Arturia store presets in a Presets folder in the root library alongside other folders all labeled with the synth etc. names, outside of the Application Supoprt folder most plug ins store settings and presets in. NI attempts to go to a shared folder in your User area, others even use the folder the application is in, and a few die hards use a folder in your VST plugins folder. Then a few use your Documents folder...

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
10547 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:51 am

DrGonzo wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:44 pm
machinesworking wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:28 pm
There is no rhyme or reason to where a company decides to store presets.
Truly... every company has their own idea of where to put their presets and additional files. And Arturia is slightly "weirder" than most. For example, they have a special folder for samples (for Pigments / Mellotron etc) - but no matter how many user samples you drag in - this folder is empty until the moment you Export the bank - and re-import it. Until that moment, the samples are located in their original locations.

But once you got a hang of their MO, it's quite easy to deal with.
Regarding the samples, this is to prevent users to go thorugh the dreadful "unable to locate sampler" message, and also to fill the system disk with samples, every time we import a sample to use in a preset. This way, every preset points to the samples in their original location.

But if you want to avoid this, be sure to copy any sample you want to use to the Arturia/samples folder before using it. This way, the sample will be read from that location since the very beginning.
Fernando (FMR)

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
10547 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:55 am

ghostwhistler wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:03 am
How close could this synth get to recreating the Synclavier gong sound (specifically the version used on Kiew Mission by Tangerine Dream)?
It should be able to recreate it up to a point of you being unable to identify which is which. But if the TD sound resides on a sample, or a resynthesized sample, then you will have a hard time doing it unless you have access to that sample.
Fernando (FMR)

User avatar
DrGonzo
KVRAF
2715 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from A Swede Living in Budapest

Post Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:11 am

fmr wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:51 am
DrGonzo wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:44 pm
machinesworking wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:28 pm
There is no rhyme or reason to where a company decides to store presets.
Truly... every company has their own idea of where to put their presets and additional files. And Arturia is slightly "weirder" than most. For example, they have a special folder for samples (for Pigments / Mellotron etc) - but no matter how many user samples you drag in - this folder is empty until the moment you Export the bank - and re-import it. Until that moment, the samples are located in their original locations.

But once you got a hang of their MO, it's quite easy to deal with.
Regarding the samples, this is to prevent users to go thorugh the dreadful "unable to locate sampler" message, and also to fill the system disk with samples, every time we import a sample to use in a preset. This way, every preset points to the samples in their original location.
Yeah - but the problem with this is that every other maker of plugins do this differently, thus creating a different MO/standard for each manufacturer. Some copy the samples directly to their home folder to make sure everything is stored in one place.

Not saying one is better than the other. Just saying it a big bloody mess. But you learn to live with it. Just like you learn to live with the insane tagging conventions every manufacturer invents.

:party:

/C
Plughugger Sound Design
ELEMENT 27 - MODAL COBALT8 sounds for OMNISPHERE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Mr Arkadin
KVRAF
1878 posts since 11 Mar, 2003

Post Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:15 am

machinesworking wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:32 am
It's annoying as hell. Arturia store presets in a Presets folder in the root library alongside other folders all labeled with the synth etc. names, outside of the Application Supoprt folder most plug ins store settings and presets in. NI attempts to go to a shared folder in your User area, others even use the folder the application is in, and a few die hards use a folder in your VST plugins folder. Then a few use your Documents folder...
Oh yeah, Users/AppData/Roaming anyone? WTF? I have a huge tower, it ain't roaming anywhere. Some even use the ProgramData folder (which is hidden by default in Windows).

We need a MIDI-style consortium of music manufacturers to get together and decide on one standard.
Last edited by Mr Arkadin on Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

ghostwhistler
KVRist
479 posts since 31 Dec, 2020

Post Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:26 am

fmr wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:55 am
ghostwhistler wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:03 am
How close could this synth get to recreating the Synclavier gong sound (specifically the version used on Kiew Mission by Tangerine Dream)?
It should be able to recreate it up to a point of you being unable to identify which is which. But if the TD sound resides on a sample, or a resynthesized sample, then you will have a hard time doing it unless you have access to that sample.
AFAIK TD used the synclavier. It wasn't a sample of that sound they used.

Psyclapse
KVRist
267 posts since 8 Jul, 2004 from UK

Post Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:27 am

As someone once wrote "The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from". :wink:

[Tanenbaum writing about computer networks 40 years ago]

User avatar
Biome_Digital
KVRAF
1586 posts since 9 Jan, 2014 from Worldwide

Post Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:39 am

I am liking this idea of all Devs putting presets and samples in the same locations!

User avatar
Aloysius
KVRAF
34943 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from another dimension

Post Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:27 am

Diversity is our strength.
Hi-de-Hi!

Return to “Instruments”