A brief update on the future of Variety of Sound plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

v1o wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:03 pm I started using his plugins again about a year ago with a bit bridge. I'm much more interested in him making new things using the latest available knowledge and tech, rather than 64bit versions of his old plugins.
Everything good is old, but I can relate to this comment. And I'd certainly consider paying 5 dollars also. But the one thing people rarely touch on is the nature of rescue mk ii. It's the most efficient mid side enhancer ever made, frankly even the mono to stereo effect is using less than anything I've made.

While maybe My knowledge by trying to study Blumlein almost exclusively has improved and I've been gaining new techniques, like methods of denoising, de-essing and noise shaping with mid side rather than things like waveshapers; My efficiency is still like 0.25% (25%) less than Bootsy's.

It's very sobering, and I can say that I've spent weeks where I'd be learning every hour; coming back to code and more efficient math with every waking minute. Even when I'd eat I'd come to realizations that would allow for more efficient mathematics, and yet his rescue mk ii reminded Me that it's not new tech but old tech that he learned from.

Most would move on, but I found it flustering lol; and I've always been amazed by VOS's work.
JoshReiss wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:56 am
MogwaiBoy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:50 am OK that's aliasing :hihi:
It looks like aliasing and harmonic distortion
The reason for the strange harmonic resonance is due to the fact that thrillseeker uses haas that has a HP so there's less effect on the bass. If you were to compare it to most lauridsen haas techniques they'd be very similar.

The delay merely enhances the harmonic distortion, the only way to truly avoid the phenomenon would be to use truly split stereo without any form of interleaving / interlacing / summing / averaging.

It's when that happens that the wave looks damaged that way; the only way to avoid it is to split to dual mono which can be challenging. There's ways that work but by also catering to stereo it becomes more complicated.

I also feel that I should correct you furthermore because it is the lack of harmonic distortion that causes aliasing, especially in the case of the higher registers due to there being less complexity. It's often the result of mid side encoding for instance. Many often forget that there's nothing thicker than true mono, especially because it using double the bandwidth. But the sound is sometimes fuzzy and complex, less to be desired. Simple can sound light and nice.

64 bit ThrillseekerXTC mkII has been released

https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/20 ... -released/
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

ThrillseekerXTC mkII is a psychoacoustic audio exciter based on a parallel dynamic equalizer circuit. It takes our hearing sensitivity into account especially regarding the perception of audio transients, tonality and loudness.

The mkII version now introduces:

• Plugin operating level calibration for better gainstaging and output volume compensated processing.
• A reworked DRIVE/MOJO stage featuring full bandwidth signal saturation and a strong focus on perceived depth and dimension. It provides all those subtle qualities we typically associate with the high-end analog outboard gear.
• Special attention has been taken to the mid frequency range by introducing signal compression which improves mid-range coherence and presence.
• Relevant parts of the plugin are running at higher internal sampling frequencies to minimize aliasing artifacts.

Available for Windows VST in 32 and 64bit as freeware.
https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/20 ... -released/
It's easy if you know how

Awesome!
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Can't thank you enough for updating and improving your work, man.

:tu:

Great news, thanks for the updates!

The new Thrillseeker and Ferric are just beautiful processors. The saturation on Ferric is unmatched IMO - instant vibe on a mix.

Well, the saturation on Thrillseeker is also unmachted! 8)
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

so they are matched?

MogwaiBoy wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:21 am The new Thrillseeker and Ferric are just beautiful processors. The saturation on Ferric is unmatched IMO - instant vibe on a mix.
Why no one is talking about XTC mkII ? it is out for 3 days now and, well .... "silence of the labs" ? :neutral:

I always liked that one. Thanks Mr.Herbert.

Michey wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:03 pm Why no one is talking about XTC mkII ?
I don't talk about it because I'm sure no one wants to hear what I really think about it. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:45 pm
Michey wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:03 pm Why no one is talking about XTC mkII ?
I don't talk about it because I'm sure no one wants to hear what I really think about it. :shrug:
I'm curious.

hjkh
Last edited by codec_spurt on Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”