DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

Hi Moss,

When using Push 2, is there a way to make footswitch 2 start audio recording on the currently selected clip? I would like to record audio loops in real time.

Right now footswitch 2 creates a new clip and enables overdubbing, which works for recording MIDI but does not seem to work for audio. I've also tried the Clip Based Looper option and that also doesn't seem to work for me.

I have been able to make this work using Flexi using the "Clip: Play" function. I am able to map a button on another controller to "Clip: Play" which starts audio recording on the currently selected record armed clip, and stops recording with another button press. However, I have noticed that it seems to stop working on any clip beyond scene 8. Clips in scene 1 - 8 work great, but nothing happens in scene 9 and beyond.

Is there a way to make "Clip: Play" in Flexi work on clips beyond scene 8, or even better, is there a way to add "Clip: Play" as a possible function for footswitch 2 on the Push 2 in the controller options? I believe this would make audio recording possible with footswitch 2, unless there is another way that works better. Thanks.

Hi,

I’m new to Bitwig (Studio, latest version) and I’m trying to set up a Presonus FaderPort (2018 single fader version) to work with it. I’ve installed drivenbymoss and added it in controller settings. Everything works (Arm, Solo, Mute, etc) except for the Prev and Next buttons. I tried binding those to the “Select Previous Track” and “Select Next Track” shortcuts which kind of works but only when used while certain tracks are selected and doesn’t seem to work after that first track selection. I’m on Windows 10, and I have the Faderport set to MCU (Logic).

If anyone has any insight into this I’d be greatly appreciative.

moss wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:33 pm I did some more testing: the bug that I can reproduce is when I click inside of a group (with more than 8 tracks) and click on a track which is not on the first page of the group. Is that the case too with your issue? I could not reproduce that with all tracks being flat.

EDIT: Just noticed that this bug is already documented: :roll:
https://github.com/teotigraphix/Framewo ... issues/251
ah amazing - thanks so much Moss! Do you have a Patreon or some way to donate?

Hi Jürgen. First of all, you are really doing a great job with your Bitwig extension! Thanks a lot for this. Now, when playing around a bit, I stumbled upon some little things, that are not quite clear for me, though I read a lot in your manual.
Perhaps I should mention also, that I use the Maschine Mk3 and the latest MacOS. So here are my questions:

1. When I have the Maschine Controller in Bitwig Mode, is there any other way to change the Controller Template than via the Controller Editor?
2. I could not find anything about the chord feature in the manual. Is there more about it, than that it creates simple triads?
3. Talking about chords, I realised, that in chord mode as well as in note repeat mode (using the mode "all"), the notes are not triggered all at the same time, but one after another. Is this normal or could there be an issue with my computer or anything else on my side?
4. When I use the "browser" key to load a device, is there a way to send "Ok" or "cancel" directly with the Maschine Controller? It seems, that when I hit the "Browser" key again, that the device will not be loaded, so this seems more like a "cancel". But can I send the "ok" other than over my computer keyboard?

Sorry for being here for the first time and asking so many questions at once
Thanks a lot again for your thorough work and help.

Kind regards, Kay

Hi Moss,
Are you aware of any problems with the Generic Flexi mechanism not retaining assigned controller mappings? I have a situation where I am trying to assign a bunch of FX Send values to the rotary controls on an Akai MIDIMix. I make the assignments and five minutes later, I come back and the assignments are missing. Most frustrating! The mappings to a bunch of Tool based presets remain intact.

In an attempt to set things back to zero in order track what was going on, I took the `.properties` file and cleared out all of the content apart from the initial two comment lines and then reloaded it, expecting all of the existing assignments to disappear. A whole bunch of them are still there.

What on earth is going on here? How do I clear out ALL of the existing assignments of physical controls to Bitwig functions. Also, why when I save the `.properties` file even after a couple of reassignments, does the file fill up with a couple of thousand lines in no discernible order, thus missing it impossible to track what is going on or do anything resembling debugging?
Bitwig 5.1.6 + Akai MIDIMix + Launchpad X + MuLab 9.3.18
Roli Lumi Keyboard x 2 + Universal Audio Apollo Twin X
Mac Mini M1 16GB/4TB + macOS 14.4 Sonoma

I am increasingly of the opinion that I am not using the Generic Flexi to its best advantage, and that I would be a lot more successful if I used the Slot Functions facility. The problem is that the device I want to control from an external controller knob is a Tool derivative, and as such does not appear on the available drop-downs.

I notice that there is a drop-down for MIDI CC; would it be possible to use the physical knob to control a MIDI CC value, and then have that CC values transferred to the "Tool" device, maybe by means of a MIDI modulator? I'm really just thinking aloud here. I've made an abortive effort to do this, but my modulator just hung when I pressed "Learn CC".

If anyone knows how to do this, or can provide me with an alternative means of controlling a device embedded within a track using the Slot Function facility, I would be immensely grateful!!

spanky69 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:32 pm Hi Moss,

I was wondering would it be possible to do a script for Native Instuments S8 controller for bitwig that makes use of its screens? I was thinking it would be cool controller for a dj/live setup if you could use the screen to view 8 channels of launched clips.

have you ever considered it or know if its possible? The screens use QML, im not sure if thats the same as Maschine or Komple Kontrol screens.
Sorry, no idea.

LFOStep wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:14 am Hi Moss,

When using Push 2, is there a way to make footswitch 2 start audio recording on the currently selected clip? I would like to record audio loops in real time.

Right now footswitch 2 creates a new clip and enables overdubbing, which works for recording MIDI but does not seem to work for audio. I've also tried the Clip Based Looper option and that also doesn't seem to work for me.

I have been able to make this work using Flexi using the "Clip: Play" function. I am able to map a button on another controller to "Clip: Play" which starts audio recording on the currently selected record armed clip, and stops recording with another button press. However, I have noticed that it seems to stop working on any clip beyond scene 8. Clips in scene 1 - 8 work great, but nothing happens in scene 9 and beyond.

Is there a way to make "Clip: Play" in Flexi work on clips beyond scene 8, or even better, is there a way to add "Clip: Play" as a possible function for footswitch 2 on the Push 2 in the controller options? I believe this would make audio recording possible with footswitch 2, unless there is another way that works better. Thanks.
Sorry, currently "No" to both questions.

grok_music wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:18 am Hi,

I’m new to Bitwig (Studio, latest version) and I’m trying to set up a Presonus FaderPort (2018 single fader version) to work with it. I’ve installed drivenbymoss and added it in controller settings. Everything works (Arm, Solo, Mute, etc) except for the Prev and Next buttons. I tried binding those to the “Select Previous Track” and “Select Next Track” shortcuts which kind of works but only when used while certain tracks are selected and doesn’t seem to work after that first track selection. I’m on Windows 10, and I have the Faderport set to MCU (Logic).

If anyone has any insight into this I’d be greatly appreciative.
Did you enable the "Has only 1 fader" option in the Hardware Setup section of the settings?

present wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:23 pm
moss wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:33 pm I did some more testing: the bug that I can reproduce is when I click inside of a group (with more than 8 tracks) and click on a track which is not on the first page of the group. Is that the case too with your issue? I could not reproduce that with all tracks being flat.

EDIT: Just noticed that this bug is already documented: :roll:
https://github.com/teotigraphix/Framewo ... issues/251
ah amazing - thanks so much Moss! Do you have a Patreon or some way to donate?
No, just have fun with it :-)

:tu:

cremoer wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:29 pm 1. When I have the Maschine Controller in Bitwig Mode, is there any other way to change the Controller Template than via the Controller Editor?
Sorry, no. That does always happen when you activate the MCU mode (also when you select the MCU emulation from NI).
cremoer wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:29 pm 2. I could not find anything about the chord feature in the manual. Is there more about it, than that it creates simple triads?
See last sentence under 18.10.2, and yes that is all there is to it :-)
cremoer wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:29 pm 3. Talking about chords, I realised, that in chord mode as well as in note repeat mode (using the mode "all"), the notes are not triggered all at the same time, but one after another. Is this normal or could there be an issue with my computer or anything else on my side?
Yes, in Chord mode I have to use a function for generating the additional notes which seems to have a delay. But note repeat should work fine since this is generated by Bitwig itself.
cremoer wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:29 pm 4. When I use the "browser" key to load a device, is there a way to send "Ok" or "cancel" directly with the Maschine Controller? It seems, that when I hit the "Browser" key again, that the device will not be loaded, so this seems more like a "cancel". But can I send the "ok" other than over my computer keyboard?
Press the Encoder to confirm your selection and close the browser.
Press the browse button to discard your selection and close the browser.

carlca wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:07 pm I am increasingly of the opinion that I am not using the Generic Flexi to its best advantage, and that I would be a lot more successful if I used the Slot Functions facility. The problem is that the device I want to control from an external controller knob is a Tool derivative, and as such does not appear on the available drop-downs.

I notice that there is a drop-down for MIDI CC; would it be possible to use the physical knob to control a MIDI CC value, and then have that CC values transferred to the "Tool" device, maybe by means of a MIDI modulator? I'm really just thinking aloud here. I've made an abortive effort to do this, but my modulator just hung when I pressed "Learn CC".

If anyone knows how to do this, or can provide me with an alternative means of controlling a device embedded within a track using the Slot Function facility, I would be immensely grateful!!
Regarding your previous question I am not aware of any issues with saving the settings. Make sure to always save when you changed something!

The MIDI CC functions are only intended to be used with VST plugins (but mapping them to Bitwig remote controls should be preferred if possible). If you want to map specific parameters in Bitwig by using the Learn from the Context menu, assign one of the "User Parameter"s before using the learn function.

Hi Jürgen

First, thanks for the great software and the great support you provide to the users. I use both Bitwig and Reaper and have a few controllers that you support so more than doubly grateful.

Please can you provide HTTPS on the mossgrabers.de site? It is free with something like:
https://letsencrypt.org/
Most browsers now almost insist and many users prefer it that way.

Thanks again,
BB

Hi Moss, In Generic/Flexi, is there a way to assign a control to a particular named group track rather than just a numbered tracks?

Return to “Controller Scripting”