Nest : replaying the connections ?

Official support for: sugar-bytes.de
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

It would be superb if the wire connections made during the playing of a song were recorded then played afterwards, like automation would for a regular parameter.

Something to do with the expansion of the already present undo/redo feature.

The effect would be that the Nest performance would be recorded. All of the wires being plugged and unplugged during a song would be recorded and replayed as a performance.

Something like a Eurorack performance but recorded. Or an old Tangerine Dream concert with wired synths.

Or is it already possible ?

Just record the result, either Midi or audio in addition to a screen capture… ; - )

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:44 am Just record the result, either Midi or audio in addition to a screen capture… ; - )
So if I put a wire to a NOR input, it will be recorded ?

On screen capture to remember what you did and the resulting Midi if you feed it into a Midi track to record and if the Midi drives a synth you can record the audio into an audio track…
To playback the Midi track, you don‘t need Nest anymore btw…
I doubt that recording patching will be possible. Sounds extremely complicated to implement. You would need a automatable switch for every f**king possible connection, which could go into thousands if not millions…

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:10 pm On screen capture to remember what you did and the resulting Midi if you feed it into a Midi track to record and if the Midi drives a synth you can record the audio into an audio track… To playback the Midi track, you don‘t need Nest anymore btw…"
I haven't yet explored the MIDI option. I figured for the time being that it was for sending notes to a drum kit like MODO Drums or such.

But the idea is to record the 'playing' of Nest as one can easily record the playing on a keyboard. With a keyboard the hands move and the notes they hit are recorded. On Nest the hands would move to move a mouse to make connections.

Tangerine Dream, for one, used to do that in concert. One musician would take a wire from a synth and plug it elsewhere and that would change the music being produced in some aspect.
Tj Shredder wrote: I doubt that recording patching will be possible. Sounds extremely complicated to implement. You would need a automatable switch for every f**king possible connection, which could go into thousands if not millions…
Well, SB already has the object to encapsulate everything that matters. That object is used for Undo/Redo.

TD just recorded the audio while playing. You can do that even with equipment that never heard about Midi. (The synths TD played back then for example…)
The only drawback, you can‘t edit the patching afterwards, but TD couldn‘t do that either, they could only try to redo it, as you can do as well…
mevla wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:34 am Well, SB already has the object to encapsulate everything that matters. That object is used for Undo/Redo.
Thats a good point, but a completely different and more complex thing as automation. It could only be stored within the plugin, and it would be a pain to even think about implementing it…

... Especially the part about editing the recorded connections. Although if feasible it could be quite interesting. Thanks for the comments.

Return to “Sugar Bytes”