Waves 13

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Three more HiDPI updates? The speed is dizzying. It's time for me to say goodbye to Waves.

Woohoo, Scheps Omni Channel finally got a sharp interface! Except... there's still one knob (or a group of knobs) that seems to have the old crappy resolution (the EQ gain knobs, and other knobs that look like them). Anyone else notice the same, is it an installation issue, or did Waves just forget to update the whole GUI? (Mac, Logic Pro X, OS X Catalina).

elxsound wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:54 pm
chrisstiles wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:50 pm
elxsound wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:36 pm And you're not getting anything new upgrading Metafilter... These are maintenance fixes and OS compatibility upgrades.
That was just an example; my point was that for any generic Waves plugin it's not clear what you are getting by upgrading (and in most cases the tangible answer is actually 'very little' or 'doesn't crash as much').
No worries, I got it. I’m just adding on because you’re right… there should be a change log. Otherwise it’s like you said, basically a subscription.
Yes and I guess to your point they are actively disincentivising you from buying their bundles over the specific plugins you (unless it’s a fairly significant amount of the bundle - in which case they are penalising you and the payment works much more like a traditional subscription).

kelvyn wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:10 pm I have to sat that even in Rosetta mode the Waves V13 plugins seem a little snappier and load faster.
You sure that's not just a placebo effect? I would not expect to see much difference in Rosetta mode, but it is possible if they improved the underlying code in a meaningful way (which is suspect with Waves).

Which V13 plugins are you seeing this with? And do you have any interest in quantifying your subjective opinion with some data? The one thing that might convince me to WUP would be clearly improved performance on an M1 of v13 over v12.

chrisstiles wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:34 pm
elxsound wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:54 pm
chrisstiles wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:50 pm
elxsound wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:36 pm And you're not getting anything new upgrading Metafilter... These are maintenance fixes and OS compatibility upgrades.
That was just an example; my point was that for any generic Waves plugin it's not clear what you are getting by upgrading (and in most cases the tangible answer is actually 'very little' or 'doesn't crash as much').
No worries, I got it. I’m just adding on because you’re right… there should be a change log. Otherwise it’s like you said, basically a subscription.
Yes and I guess to your point they are actively disincentivising you from buying their bundles over the specific plugins you (unless it’s a fairly significant amount of the bundle - in which case they are penalising you and the payment works much more like a traditional subscription).
Agree with both of you and it's this sort of thing that has contributed to the long-term erosion of goodwill towards Waves and WUP.

mcbpete wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:17 pm
Iva wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:53 am W11 support.
What the hoohaaa does that even mean - Just loaded up a whole load of v11 versions of my Waves plugins in Windows 11 and ... well they work !
It means that when you call their support when you have problems with v13 in W11, you'll get their support. If you call and you say V12 or lower on W11, they will tell you to upgrade to v13 and then call them back.

Support =/= compatibility

kidslow wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:32 pm
kelvyn wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:10 pm I have to sat that even in Rosetta mode the Waves V13 plugins seem a little snappier and load faster.
You sure that's not just a placebo effect? I would not expect to see much difference in Rosetta mode, but it is possible if they improved the underlying code in a meaningful way (which is suspect with Waves).

Which V13 plugins are you seeing this with? And do you have any interest in quantifying your subjective opinion with some data? The one thing that might convince me to WUP would be clearly improved performance on an M1 of v13 over v12.
Maybe you are correct... I’m no statistician and therefore purely subjective. But whereas there was always a little hesitation when instantiating with V12 on my M1... now it pops.
Sorry! But that’s the best I can give you.
I can say that the upgrade with Waves Central was totally trouble free.

I'll probably just WUP the one Waves plugin I still use and leave the rest behind, keeping them around merely for loading old projects. With so many of their older plugins now decades old, it's odd they still haven't implemented internal oversampling as an option to help improve their output on modern computers.

Anyone else having problems with V13 and Studio One? None of my V13 plugins load. They load fine in other DAWs, just not Studio One.

courtjestr wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:00 pm Anyone else having problems with V13 and Studio One? None of my V13 plugins load. They load fine in other DAWs, just not Studio One.
Look for jinotsuh's post on page 2.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I’d wonder how v13 works under [the supported] Mojave on an i7 Mac? I’m still under WUP for my version 12 so should take advantage of getting 13 while it’s still free for me. Anyone tried these on an i7 Mac, more CPU hit?

I was still eligible to get V13 for free, since I bought a bunch of plugins from them last year.

I updated everything to V13, but found out that I had some issues on my system/DAW with V13, so after a bunch of hassle and a long time, I managed to uninstall everything and I reinstalled everything again, but I'm choosing to stay with V12 for now.

I guess I'll install V13 when I get a new Mac Mini Pro next week. If there is a new one next week.

macmuse wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:31 am I’d wonder how v13 works under [the supported] Mojave on an i7 Mac? I’m still under WUP for my version 12 so should take advantage of getting 13 while it’s still free for me. Anyone tried these on an i7 Mac, more CPU hit?
Well, I tried that last night and ended up downgrading again to V12.

I'm still on Mojave, not i7 though, i3.

But when I opened up Logic, it seemed to want to scan hundreds of Waves plugins everytime I opened it, and I don't have time to sit around and wait for that of course.

So for now, I have downgraded again to V12 and all of my stuff is working again.

The issue I think is that perhaps Logic on Mojave is too old for it, because when you look at the Waves site, they recommend a newer version of Logic for V13, but you are not able to install the newest version of Logic on Mojave.

There are a few utilities built into the Waves Central app for repairing installations and permissions which have helped me in the past. Sometimes I’ll need to remove any old Waveshells in the AU/VST/VST3 folders first.

courtjestr wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:00 pm Anyone else having problems with V13 and Studio One? None of my V13 plugins load. They load fine in other DAWs, just not Studio One.
It will be fixed in V14.

When does your WUP lapse? V14 will come out after that.

Return to “Effects”