One Synth Challenge #152: WhispAir by Full Bucket Music (Aiynzahev Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
WhispAir

I don't know what others do, but I vote as if i'm selecting records in the record shop skipping through a few seconds at a time. That gets the tracks ordered, then I'll do the same again to refine the selection. There's no chance i'll listen to every track in full, you can tell what you like within a few seconds usually.

OSC tracks are often more versatile than commercial music, and many times I found individual parts in them that influenced my assessment)
I didn't catch the problem with the filter, sorry. But try to increase the polyphony or really slightly reduce the ends of the notes. This will be realistic - usually a keyboard player cannot take the next chord until he releases the previous one)

I've posted in the developer thread and fullbucket's got back to me. It seems it could be a bug with multi-trigger mode for the Filter EG or Amp EG on repeated notes. Better demonstrated here where you hear the envelope re-open in the middle of the duplicated note even though there's nothing set in either a modulator or the envelope to do that only on repeated notes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FeOl5Misbk

on one hand, i agree that you shouldn't feel a need to compromise. make the music that you want to make.

on the other, there are few nine minute tracks out there that in my opinion wouldn't be significantly improved by shortening them to half or so, so if you're on the fence anyways, maybe lean towards that. :D

i can sort of relate to the purist approach of wanting to make a perfect generative patch that speaks for itself with no need for curation. not sure if that's where you're coming from or if it's just me... but as soon as you're recording one take of it and presenting it as "the track" you're already curating. might as well polish it.

hockinsk3 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:46 am It seems it could be a bug with multi-trigger mode for the Filter EG or Amp EG on repeated notes. Better demonstrated here where you hear the envelope re-open in the middle of the duplicated note even though there's nothing set in either a modulator or the envelope to do that only on repeated notes.
I can't say anything useful about this, but I'll look at it from the other side: the effect is really strange, but... beautiful! It took me a while to realize that it wasn't you playing the melody over the chords!) In OSC, if you can't beat the shortcomings of the synthesizer, then you can turn them to your advantage) It just sounds nice, experiment with it until Mr. Bjorn fixes it in the next update! :wink:

True, you can work with it of course as an effect. I just thought I'd post about it because I spent a lot of time in a puzzle trying to work out why all these pads I'm designing have these notes with a filter stuck open haha!

There's definitely songs I would have underrated if I just skimmed through a few seconds at a time

Having spent nearly every weekend of my teens and beyond travelling around London record buying records you get a feel for what is worth buying and not within about 5 skips through. It's even easier today, you can generally see from the waveform where you need to listen to each section, unless it's been smashed to an inch of it's life haha!

Having spent nearly every weekend of my teens and beyond travelling around London record buying, you get a feel for what is worth buying and not within about 5 skips through. It's even easier today, you can generally see from the waveform where you need to listen to each section, unless it's been smashed to an inch of it's life haha!

hockinsk3 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:35 am Having spent nearly every weekend of my teens and beyond travelling around London record buying records you get a feel for what is worth buying and not within about 5 skips through. It's even easier today, you can generally see from the waveform where you need to listen to each section, unless it's been smashed to an inch of it's life haha!
Hey, but every month I give 5 points to about 10-15 tracks and 4 points to another 15-30 tracks, while I download to my collection (conditionally buy) from 0 to 4 tracks! Voting in the OSC is more like the work of a music critic than going shopping for your favorite records. It's like a real job where you are given a certain amount of music once a month, which you should evaluate and, if possible, write (at least short :hihi: ) reviews for (at least some :hihi: ) tracks.
Of course, no strict control and deprivation of bonuses (because there is no salary), but it is a personal interest, when your track is also in the list, and you like everyone wants to have an objective assessment (as possible) and more reviews. :phones: :tu:

P. S. I don't want to say, Hockinsk3, that you (or someone else) to vote biased, and all of the above my large IMHO! So if someone throw stones, choose the ones that are smaller and smoother! :pray:

I think you just have to do the best you can in the available time you have free. I have a few hours spare a month to do a track and vote.My main reason is to simply sketch tracks to work on later though, a competition actually gets me out of the loop not arranging anything just ideas.

Ouch did submission ended? Missed it then :/ good luck guys
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:37 am Ouch did submission ended? Missed it then :/ good luck guys
No, voting hasn't started. The discussion of voting arose out of a discussion about piece length. You have until the end of the month for submissions.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

OK friends, I made some edits to the arrangement and now have a decent length, not too short, not painfully long. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/gorgorgathgorgor ... 53acc0c25e

Gorgorgathgorgorgor - AI Overlords

9 instances of Whisp Air in VCV Rack via the Host module.

FX:

I used 9 instances of Britson Channel and one of Britson Buss. These were my only commercial effects.

I used TDR Kotelnikov and Slick EQ, and Loudmax on the Master Bus.

I used Density mkIII on the kick.
I used TAL-Dub on the "diving" sound.
I set up VOS Epic Verb and NastyDLAmkII on mixer auxes.

I also used a few effect modules from VCV and their contributing developers.

The Bass sound was driven by the Audio Instruments Random Sampler (based on Marbles)
Three instances of Alright Devices Chronoblob delay on various voices.

numerous LFO, Clock, Bernouli switch, sequencer and other utility modules.

The soundcloud image is an image of the actual VCV Rack.

My entry for this month:
https://soundcloud.com/aiyn-zahev/aiyn- ... 99a62ff0a9

Some 70 instances or so. I used commercial FX for compression, reverb and delay.

I want to thank the developer for such a well behaved free synth

Good luck to everyone
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Return to “Instruments”