Exponential Audio R4

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
User avatar
KVRAF
4644 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:22 pm

After a lot of auditioning of R4 and some other reverbs including those I own, also considered "top tier" software reverbs, I decided against R4. First of all, in terms of sheer sound and capability, its not worth $300US in my opinion. That is an incredible price to charge. I am not bought into the Exponential hype or fan-boydom and so I can't add any more rationale to the price other than what I experience first hand from R4 alone. Further, I can't justify the $150US NFR price. However if it were $150US with a transferrable license... maybe.

In the end, I decided to get FabFilter Pro-R which for the $120US I paid over-all has a more reasonable capability-to-price ratio. Pro-R also offers a unique take on reverb control (the decay time EQ) and an over-all very nice sound.

Maybe one day for me and Exponential but for now I will be happy with Phoenixverb.

It's really a shame about that NFR upgrade policy - for me, the Achilles Heel of plugin purchasing.

User avatar
KVRAF
32950 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:38 pm

It can make some nice reverb/delay hybrid spaces

https://soundcloud.com/kymeia/p-cloud

KVRAF
13133 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:45 pm

plexuss wrote:After a lot of auditioning of R4 and some other reverbs including those I own, also considered "top tier" software reverbs, I decided against R4. First of all, in terms of sheer sound and capability, its not worth $300US in my opinion. That is an incredible price to charge. I am not bought into the Exponential hype or fan-boydom and so I can't add any more rationale to the price other than what I experience first hand from R4 alone. Further, I can't justify the $150US NFR price. However if it were $150US with a transferrable license... maybe.
That's helpful. I agree that there's some hype here. I demoed Phoenix over the holidays and it was good, but I wasn't feeling the NFR thing which just rubs people the wrong way and I didn't think that it was covering ground that I couldn't already cover.

Since I can't get the $150 price anyway, it's a bit of a non-starter for me.

KVRist
128 posts since 10 Jan, 2005

Post Sun May 30, 2021 5:46 am

R4's tempo sync doesn't seem to work.
In both Logic and Live I get this:
Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 14.44.19.png
I've turned host sync ON.
Anyone else have this issue?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRAF
1865 posts since 24 Jun, 2006 from London, England

Post Sun May 30, 2021 7:13 am

You have to click either 'Tempo: Note' or 'Tempo: Ratio' in that dropdown to change the dial to become a 'tempo sync'd' value
N.B. This just affects the Pre-delay time rather than the actual reverb time

User avatar
KVRian
891 posts since 14 Jul, 2018

Post Sun May 30, 2021 9:29 am

as far as i can see:
even if the "note" and "ratio" items in the dropdownmenu are geyed out, they can be selected
and will be registered correctly
seems to be a grafic glitch - using: logic 10.5.1/mojave

KVRist
128 posts since 10 Jan, 2005

Post Sun May 30, 2021 12:19 pm

Ah yes, I was assuming because they were greyed out they weren't available - thank you!

KVRAF
21342 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Sun May 30, 2021 1:13 pm

I would not even call it a graphic-glitch - for all EA menue-entries greyed out means unselected.

KVRer
2 posts since 18 Jan, 2016

Post Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:01 am

I have the problem, that no EA-Effect stores new presets and it seems that it has to do with the fact, that my username contains a non-latin character, which is not very unusual for international buyers. Does anyone have a solution for that? I mean changing the username is no option, because than everything else would not work anymore and try that in W10 anyways... good luck with that :)

v1o
KVRAF
3046 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Post Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:31 am

R4 and I think most EA plugins are buggy in Studio One and Reason. Hopefully Izotope will update these plugins soon.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

KVRian
1431 posts since 18 Feb, 2012

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:10 am

v1o wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:31 am
R4 and I think most EA plugins are buggy in Studio One and Reason. Hopefully Izotope will update these plugins soon.
What kind of bugs did you encounter in S1?

KVRAF
30020 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:12 am

v1o wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:31 am
R4 and I think most EA plugins are buggy in Studio One
Can't confirm that...
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

v1o
KVRAF
3046 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:35 am

HcDoom wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:10 am
v1o wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:31 am
R4 and I think most EA plugins are buggy in Studio One and Reason. Hopefully Izotope will update these plugins soon.
What kind of bugs did you encounter in S1?
Pops and glitches while flipping between presets or changing preset settings. It's a known issue I've seen it mentioned a few times.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

KVRian
1003 posts since 30 Jun, 2014 from Pacific NW

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:09 am

v1o wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:35 am
HcDoom wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:10 am
v1o wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:31 am
R4 and I think most EA plugins are buggy in Studio One and Reason. Hopefully Izotope will update these plugins soon.
What kind of bugs did you encounter in S1?
Pops and glitches while flipping between presets or changing preset settings. It's a known issue I've seen it mentioned a few times.
I've had issues with it. I had to uninstall/stop using Nimbus and R4 in S1 awhile back. They'd crash S1 and/or create horrible, near-deafening noises or glitches.

Return to “Effects”