Any point in me getting Win11?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As the message says, really. Apparently my laptop and even our desktop (bought a 2nd hand ex-business PC for general household duties) are both compatible with Win11. I've had a quick look at the Win site and can't say I see anything that applies to me really - Win11 improvements seems to be all about connecting up to social media/remote crap and gaming. None of which I do or have any intention of doing. But I'm not against Win11 if it provides just general stability/usability improvements. I even surfed around Steinberg.net and they recommend not going for Win11 (at least not yet) as they haven't tested/tweaked compatibility with Cubase etc yet.

Anything else Win11 does that I missed, that I might want? (I'm not a coder in any way). Anybody had issues with Win11 and Steinberg programs? TBH my laptop is really only for music and for playing TV into the big telly in the lounge.

I'd wait for issues to be resolved.
Windows 11 is slowing down more Ryzens, and more updates are on the way
https://www.randrlife.co.uk/windows-11- ... n-the-way/
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

If it doesn’t offer any features you need or want, and your current system is stable, why bother?

The Noodlist wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:27 am I'd wait for issues to be resolved.
Windows 11 is slowing down more Ryzens, and more updates are on the way
https://www.randrlife.co.uk/windows-11- ... n-the-way/
I’d avoid information from a writer that doesn’t understand the purpose of a question mark.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I read a review the other day that I found quite concerning. They have reduced the size of right-click menus for some weird reason and that means things that I've been doing for 20 years are gone, like right-clicking on the Taskbar to open Task Manager. In other places they have put extra entries in a flyout labelled "More" so some things that were previously a simple two-step process - right-click to bring up the menu and left click to select an option - are now fussy three click affairs.

I've been on the cutting edge for a decade now, since the first Windows 8 public betas went live, but I have no intention of updating to Windows 11 for the foreseeable future. It seems to me like a massively dumbed-down experience for the smartphone obsessed generation, at the expense of people who need to get shit done.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

^^^
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

I think like any computer thing, if you’re in the mood to futz around, go for it. Make sure you do a full restore point, but see how it goes. If you actually want to make music, stick with what you have. I’ve heard that they did things to make it better for processing audio, so I’m curious. Bitwig supports it, but I’ve not yet seen a peep from UAD, so I’m going to wait until they make an official announcement.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

A used computer dedicated to 11 will be cheaper than your man-hours lost getting it into your old one, and then getting up top the learning curve, and then getting your software moved over.

Or maybe get an external bootable drive, if 11 can be installed on them without breaking the win 10 boot process.
Good luck!

Those of us who are on Arch have no need for Windows 11. ;-)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

glokraw wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:14 pmA used computer dedicated to 11 will be cheaper than your man-hours lost getting it into your old one, and then getting up top the learning curve, and then getting your software moved over.
Windows isn't like Linux. All you have to do is initiate the update process, go and make yourself a cup of coffee and some toast with jam and when you get back to your computer Windows 11 will be waiting for you to log in. The learning curve will be practically zero because they've not made any big changes to the way anything works, beyond dumbing it down for morons.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Written by a Linux enthusiast and someone who strikes me as somewhat of a Microsoft hater, but...
Computerworld wrote:If you're using Windows 11 Home, you must have both an Internet connection and a Microsoft account to run Windows 11 at all. No, Internet, no Microsoft account, no Windows 11. You can't set up a local user account or use your PC at all.
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... pdate.html

I'm not interested enough to confirm this, but maybe someone else is.

He is correct. Just as you do for any smartphone or tablet, you have to have an account and an internet connection for Windows 11. I assume that's so Microsoft can provide you with all the same conveniences you get from your smartphone, like storing passwords and log-ins across multiple devices, being able to start working on something on your phone and finishing it on your laptop and other stuff like that. I can't see any sinister intent in it.

I'd wait it out . Wifes iPhone drops Bluetooth in the car after ios15.0.1 and 15.0.2 ... She says she hates Apple and threatened to banish all Apple from the house . Lolz . Oh and Windows11 ... The moral of my story is new shiny new releases are buggy . Wait it out maybe a year or 6 months ?

BONES wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:08 am He is correct. Just as you do for any smartphone or tablet, you have to have an account and an internet connection for Windows 11.
You need an account for Home 11, not for Pro 11. But after that, you can just leave it offline.

If you live in a cave.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”