2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pekbro wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:06 pm loopop made a vid on the RC-500 apparently, if you have a HW synth (or a few) you might consider
the RC-500 or similar, literally adds a new lvl of depth to your HW sound sources. Almost a mandatory
pairing. Of course it's basically Ableton lives looper in a box. *For me, Its pretty much controllable via the Pro 3 sequencer, which is awesome...

https://youtu.be/3Rr_9mdK1Rc
My issue with the R series has always been their lack of feedback control. Have they added it? It’s critical to how I use loopers, which is why I’ve stuck to Möbius and more recently MSuperLooper and Enso. I finally got around to installing Augustusloop on my machine today and was a bit irked that they wanted $4 to go iLok. :?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I was planning on getting a Waldorf M, but we had a bit of a tax disaster… looks like this might be a very sparse Christmas. I’ll be lucky to get a plugin.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:38 pm
pekbro wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:06 pm loopop made a vid on the RC-500 apparently, if you have a HW synth (or a few) you might consider
the RC-500 or similar, literally adds a new lvl of depth to your HW sound sources. Almost a mandatory
pairing. Of course it's basically Ableton lives looper in a box. *For me, Its pretty much controllable via the Pro 3 sequencer, which is awesome...

My issue with the R series has always been their lack of feedback control. Have they added it? It’s critical to how I use loopers, which is why I’ve stuck to Möbius and more recently MSuperLooper and Enso. I finally got around to installing Augustusloop on my machine today and was a bit irked that they wanted $4 to go iLok. :?
Hmm not sure what you mean by feedback control. The thing about the RC-500 is the way it works and the fact that you can customize it to your way of working. If your talking about the display, its options are pretty comprehensive i think. Its a very "standard" type looper that works just as you would expect without getting cute about it, and offering parameterization and control of most everything in the looping process. I imagine that most pedal loopers are not nearly as comprehensive as this one and require some good timing and estimation on the users part, with this unit theres none of that, you set it to do exactly what you want so you only need concentrate on what you want to add to the infinite overdub of each track. It will do the rest, unless you set it up not to.

Tbh this is my first HW looper, to me its very similar to the looper in ableton live except that your loop can be up to 90 mins long. :shrug:

pekbro wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:00 pm

Hmm not sure what you mean by feedback control. The thing about the RC-500 is the way it works and the fact that you can customize it to your way of working. If your talking about the display, its options are pretty comprehensive i think. Its a very "standard" type looper that works just as you would expect without getting cute about it, and offering parameterization and control of most everything in the looping process. I imagine that most pedal loopers are not nearly as comprehensive as this one and require some good timing and estimation on the users part, with this unit theres none of that, you set it to do exactly what you want so you only need concentrate on what you want to add to the infinite overdub of each track. It will do the rest, unless you set it up not to.

Tbh this is my first HW looper, to me its very similar to the looper in ableton live except that your loop can be up to 90 mins long. :shrug:
"feedback" to me suggest decay? as in it can fade out?
my digitech doesnt and i dont think the boss does.
tc their loopers did do that, and the canyon from ehx does too (only 2 mins though) so theyre nice for frippertronic type stuff.

it does fade in and out if you want... to me it works great for synths because it will auto record
everything based on the synths midi or audio output. Its always perfectly in sync, if your synth
can do that like the pro 3 with it's fancy sequencer can.
Last edited by pekbro on Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pekbro wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:42 pm it does fade in and out if you want...
ah does it??
im sure it didnt way back, could be wrong of course :shrug:

pekbro wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:00 pm

By “feedback” I mean it in the sense of a regular delay. Each time the loop comes round, a percentage of the signal gets fed into the loop. In this way, what you add in the loop is progressively getting quieter, as you add new things on top. It’s a great way to gently evolve a loop into something else. My old Lexicon JamMan did it, my Electrix Repeater did it, my Looperlative did it and my 28000 did it too. I went to software only looping (Möbius, MSuperLooper, Augustusloop, Enso, etc… I miss Ableton’s Looper that could set the tempo of the track) at one point because it was just a lot less to lug around.
Zerocrossing Media

pekbro wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:42 pm it does fade in and out if you want... to me it works great for synths because it will auto record
everything based on the synths midi or audio output. Its always perfectly in sync, if your synth
Fade is different than feedback. With feedback old signals are fading while newer ones get printed over it.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:26 am
pekbro wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:42 pm it does fade in and out if you want... to me it works great for synths because it will auto record
Fade is different than feedback. With feedback old signals are fading while newer ones get printed over it.
Hmm, yeah I can't find any evidence of RC-500 having that functionality. I couldn't find any available loopers that seemed to have it either. Maybe the CBA Blooper, which says this in the manual:

"Enables you to have layers gradually fade away, at a speed of
your choosing. The further counter-clockwise Repeats is set,
the faster layers will fade away. It’s important to note that
Repeats only has an effect while you are recording. If the loop
is in playback, it will never fade away. This has a number of
advantages you’ll discover as you begin to play around."

:shrug:

vurt wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:44 pm
pekbro wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:42 pm it does fade in and out if you want...
ah does it??
im sure it didnt way back, could be wrong of course :shrug:
btw: The looper thing wasn't really directed at you. I am aware of your fondness for audio looping
and other manipulations, what with all the Morphagene shenanigans and whatnot. :tu:

*Seemingly tho, I am the only one who didn't already have a dedicated looper pedal. Even my
friend the guitar collector who can't actually play the guitar, has a looper pedal apparently. :shrug:

pekbro wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:27 am
zerocrossing wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:26 am
Hmm, yeah I can't find any evidence of RC-500 having that functionality. I couldn't find any available loopers that seemed to have it either. Maybe the CBA Blooper, which says this in the manual:

"Enables you to have layers gradually fade away, at a speed of
your choosing. The further counter-clockwise Repeats is set,
the faster layers will fade away. It’s important to note that
Repeats only has an effect while you are recording. If the loop
is in playback, it will never fade away. This has a number of
advantages you’ll discover as you begin to play around."

:shrug:
the ehx canyon does that, only 2 mins though and mono, but the grand canyon does stereo and may be longer?
no midi though.

different loopers for different purposes really, the boss and digitech imo are more for setting up a rhythm track to play over, whereas the feedback loopers are more for building an ambient flowing piece (my uses im sure others have their own). :)

Ordered an official Melotus Versio, so it can sit next to my Desmodus Versio, which will probably be running the Lacrima firmware for the foreseeable future. :party:

Decent :tu:

possibly a playtime engineering blipbox :)

Just got a Korg Minilogue XD and, man, am I impressed with this little beast! I’ve already created half a bank of sounds and might have to release a commercial bank for it… hmmmmmm…
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”