Decent Sampler: long sample release time

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
KVRist
187 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from Mountain View, CA

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:23 am

I downloaded a few of the Pianobook pianos today. Strangely, all of the Decent Sampler instruments that I tried have an unrealistically long release time, maybe 100-200ms. When I play the sfz version of the same instrument (e.g. https://www.pianobook.co.uk/library/family-grand/), the release time is much shorter, like you'd expect from a real piano.

Is anyone else hearing the same thing? Is there a release time setting somewhere that I'm missing? I poked around in the instrument settings and couldn't find anything that adjusts the amplitude envelope release time.

KVRAF
4195 posts since 31 Oct, 2004

Post Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:56 pm

If I remember well, the release time can be adjusted in the script. It is the developer's work to fix it. The end-user can't do anything about it unless you're willing to edit the script yourself.

KVRist

Topic Starter

187 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from Mountain View, CA

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:45 pm

Yeah, that's what I figured. Weird that I tried several Decent Sampler pianos and they all had the same issue with release time. I guess I'll stick with SFZ instruments for the time being.

KVRAF
4195 posts since 31 Oct, 2004

Post Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:33 pm

bburtin wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:45 pm
Yeah, that's what I figured. Weird that I tried several Decent Sampler pianos and they all had the same issue with release time. I guess I'll stick with SFZ instruments for the time being.
It's because most indie devs don't fine-tweak their Decent Sampler instruments. I'm currently working on a Decent Sampler instrument, and according to the documentation, the release can be set up to 25 seconds. It's overkill for a piano.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”