Any point in me getting Win11?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:12 am I read a review the other day that I found quite concerning. They have reduced the size of right-click menus for some weird reason and that means things that I've been doing for 20 years are gone, like right-clicking on the Taskbar to open Task Manager. In other places they have put extra entries in a flyout labelled "More" so some things that were previously a simple two-step process - right-click to bring up the menu and left click to select an option - are now fussy three click affairs.
That was my first (actually only so far) Win11 tweak. Luckily it's just the case of opening the terminal and typing (or copy/pasting) the below to get back the 'original' right-click behaviour:

Code: Select all

reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" /f /ve
(and if you want it back for some reason later type the following:

Code: Select all

reg delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}" /f
Source: https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page ... ns_11.html

BONES wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:13 pm If you live in a cave.
That's great for adding some natural reverb to recordings. :ud:

I have internet on other PCs/devices. Does it add something to my music?

Well Mr Bones. Sone of us do not have high speed internet access. We can tether our phones and use up data. Or, most of us in that situation go to a wifi hotspot or a friends hose to use decent inet.

Maybe one day when inet is truly everywhere we wont have that problem. This house has been in my family for 3 generations and I have no intention of getting another house just to get high speed inet.

So. No. If I have to have inet to use win11 at all. They can keep it. There are other options.

Cave or no cave.

James

airbrush wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:57 pm Maybe one day when inet is truly everywhere we wont have that problem.
Internet-everything will happen before that. Just look at Steam and the size of many modern PC games. Physical movie releases are on their way out too.

You say that there are options - you're right, if you're fine with their differences/limitations.

T-CM11 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:41 pmI have internet on other PCs/devices. Does it add something to my music?
I imagine that depends how up to date you like to be. Personally, I am much happier letting Native Access And Arturia Software Centre and all those other product managers keep my stuff up to date, rather than having to go and do that stuff for myself. As I type this, for example, Softube Central is updating all my Softube products. In the end, it gives me more time for making music so it is definitely beneficial.

OTOH, I can't see how being on line might hurt your music so why go to all the effort to keep your DAW off the 'net?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I'm the wait and see guy. Wait awhile,see what kind of complaints come rolling in. Let the first round of bug fixes happen, or if I end up with a new pc with 11 already installed,if that happens first,fuggit.
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

You should wait until Windows 11 shows its hand with bugs, etc. if you're on the fence.

Right, because Windows is so well known for bugs. In 27 years of use, I cannot think of a single bug I have ever encountered in any version of Windows. I remember that they broke WMP in Windows 7 but the OS itself always just works.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

If you’re on Ryzen - wait. There are widespread reports of up to 15% performance loss between Windows 10 and 11.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-r ... -cache-bug

S950 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:23 am If you’re on Ryzen - wait. There are widespread reports of up to 15% performance loss between Windows 10 and 11.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-r ... -cache-bug
It is already fixed in the BETA build 22000.282
https://forums.mydigitallife.net/thread ... st-1697287

UPDATE: I spoke too soon...
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/amd-r ... st-5956683

https://www.igorslab.de/professionelle- ... schlimm/7/
Last edited by Pictus on Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I had Win11 on a used laptop I bought.
Desktop pic looked cool.
But then I just installed Linux Mint over it, without even looking inside what it had to offer.
So, the Linux is so sweet and quick and smooth and does exactly what it should.
Just serve me.......................Love it:)

Unless you want to actually do anything with that computer, of course. And the fact that you didn't even bother to check out the Windows install before you overwrote it means you have nothing of value to contribute here.

I had a bit of a play around with Win11 on a laptop in a shop yesterday, now that lockdown is lifted and shops can open again. I have to say things aren't as dire as I had thought they might be. The big menu you get when you right-click on Start is still there and that's the one I was worried about. I also got a glimpse of how I might be able to make the new Start work for me, although it will never be as good as Win10 so I might end up with a Stardock utility to bring it back. There are a few more things I want to check out before I make a decision but I am now at least open to the possibility that Win11 might be OK. I'm not in a hurry to upgrade, though, but I won't be going out of my way to avoid it, either.

audiojunkie wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:50 pm Those of us who are on Arch have no need for Windows 11. ;-)
And no music software either. :party:

I'll be happy to stay on Windows 10 until 2025 and by then Windows 12 will be out and Windows 11 will be the new Windows 8. :P

I don't think so. As I said, it's not as horribly different as I thought it would be and this time they didn't get rid of the Start button, which was what cruelled them with Win8. It was the dumbest decision anyone could have made and they only did it on the last beta before RC. Whoever made that call probably cost Microsoft billions of dollars.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”