TDR version of the Molot compressor is out - Molotok (free) and Molot GE

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRian
889 posts since 29 Oct, 2015 from Jupiter 8

Post Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:42 am

Well, seems like Slayer wasn't right, at least in your case, after all... :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khTw53g5Xmk
There's no Logic to Windows

KVRAF
2403 posts since 26 Mar, 2002 from london

Post Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:46 am

Just picked up Molot GE in the sale. It's remarkable how aggressive it sounds with settings that would sound much softer in other compressors, even after blending much of the unprocessed signal back in.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

KVRist
161 posts since 25 Apr, 2021

Post Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:16 pm

I have a question to those who own Molot GE.
Could you turn the saturation completely off on it? Or it still colours the sound when Saturation is set to zero?

KVRian
889 posts since 29 Oct, 2015 from Jupiter 8

Post Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:20 pm

saturation can be completely disabled, but it still will never be an ultra transparent compressor in my book. Not that this has to be a bad thing of course. Molot (Hammer) is quite fitting.

But there's of course a demo so you can see if it meets your expectations
There's no Logic to Windows

User avatar
KVRian
1042 posts since 14 Apr, 2008 from /* whitenoise */

Post Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:25 am

Dark Lights wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:16 pm
I have a question to those who own Molot GE.
Could you turn the saturation completely off on it? Or it still colours the sound when Saturation is set to zero?
Yes you can disable the saturation but as the one posted before me: this is a character (colorful) compressor. Tons of possible sounds to shape the dynamics and the tone in a good way. For a clean compressor you may look at Kotelnikov - probably no way to have cleaner compression.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

KVRAF
4234 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Post Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:00 am

Because of this thread I tried Molotok GE demo today. Seriously this has to be most buttery compressor ever created ?!?!

I mean I know I am late to the party but this seriously is something else + ton of good functions not found anywhere else, like a properly created bypass option. But the sound?!? Man...?!?!? Awesome!!!

Where can I get this on sale?

KVRist
161 posts since 25 Apr, 2021

Post Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:23 am

noiseresearch wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:25 am
Dark Lights wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:16 pm
I have a question to those who own Molot GE.
Could you turn the saturation completely off on it? Or it still colours the sound when Saturation is set to zero?
Yes you can disable the saturation but as the one posted before me: this is a character (colorful) compressor. Tons of possible sounds to shape the dynamics and the tone in a good way. For a clean compressor you may look at Kotelnikov - probably no way to have cleaner compression.
You are both right. As for Kotelnikov, I always had an impression that It's a master comp. So it would be good for track compression?

KVRist
161 posts since 25 Apr, 2021

Post Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:25 am

kmonkey wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:00 am
Because of this thread I tried Molotok GE demo today. Seriously this has to be most buttery compressor ever created ?!?!

I mean I know I am late to the party but this seriously is something else + ton of good functions not found anywhere else, like a properly created bypass option. But the sound?!? Man...?!?!? Awesome!!!

Where can I get this on sale?
At some point is was 25 dollars at AudioDelux. Wait for black Friday now.

User avatar
KVRAF
5213 posts since 15 Dec, 2011 from Bucharest, Romania

Post Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:25 am

kmonkey wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:00 am
Where can I get this on sale?
Right now, you can get it discounted only if you're lucky to find it second-hand.

KVRian
680 posts since 8 Jan, 2017

Post Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:08 pm

Dark Lights wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:23 am
noiseresearch wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:25 am
Dark Lights wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:16 pm
I have a question to those who own Molot GE.
Could you turn the saturation completely off on it? Or it still colours the sound when Saturation is set to zero?
Yes you can disable the saturation but as the one posted before me: this is a character (colorful) compressor. Tons of possible sounds to shape the dynamics and the tone in a good way. For a clean compressor you may look at Kotelnikov - probably no way to have cleaner compression.
You are both right. As for Kotelnikov, I always had an impression that It's a master comp. So it would be good for track compression?
It works for mixing and mastering, it's just that Kot is so clean that most engineers don't like using it on mixes because it lacks "color".

KVRist
128 posts since 19 Jun, 2021

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:43 pm

heavymetalmixer wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:08 pm
It works for mixing and mastering, it's just that Kot is so clean that most engineers don't like using it on mixes because it lacks "color".
I think mixing without adding distortion all over is an unexplored avenue at this point.

KVRist
161 posts since 25 Apr, 2021

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:55 pm

attention ♥ wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:43 pm
heavymetalmixer wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:08 pm
It works for mixing and mastering, it's just that Kot is so clean that most engineers don't like using it on mixes because it lacks "color".
I think mixing without adding distortion all over is an unexplored avenue at this point.
As for myself, I have already enough "mojo" added on the track (pre-comp), so the character compressor would be an overkill.
Old producers didn't have so many "mojo" plugins back then, so let's forgive them for their comp obsession at present.

KVRAF
1885 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:22 am

Dark Lights wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:23 am
You are both right. As for Kotelnikov, I always had an impression that It's a master comp. So it would be good for track compression?
It's a great track compressor. But it excels at transparency, whereas people often want obvious mojo from track compression. I like it for exposed acoustic instruments.

With the Gentleman's Edition there is also the frequency-dependent ratio feature which can be used to compensate or exaggerate the character change that comes with gain reduction.

User avatar
KVRAF
6752 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:26 am

Molotok is a great compressor :)
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

KVRist
161 posts since 25 Apr, 2021

Post Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:30 pm

Molotok GE is 25 Dollars on Audiodeluxe right now.

Return to “Effects”