TDR version of the Molot compressor is out - Molotok (free) and Molot GE

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, seems like Slayer wasn't right, at least in your case, after all... :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khTw53g5Xmk
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Just picked up Molot GE in the sale. It's remarkable how aggressive it sounds with settings that would sound much softer in other compressors, even after blending much of the unprocessed signal back in.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

I have a question to those who own Molot GE.
Could you turn the saturation completely off on it? Or it still colours the sound when Saturation is set to zero?

saturation can be completely disabled, but it still will never be an ultra transparent compressor in my book. Not that this has to be a bad thing of course. Molot (Hammer) is quite fitting.

But there's of course a demo so you can see if it meets your expectations
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Dark Lights wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:16 am I have a question to those who own Molot GE.
Could you turn the saturation completely off on it? Or it still colours the sound when Saturation is set to zero?
Yes you can disable the saturation but as the one posted before me: this is a character (colorful) compressor. Tons of possible sounds to shape the dynamics and the tone in a good way. For a clean compressor you may look at Kotelnikov - probably no way to have cleaner compression.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Because of this thread I tried Molotok GE demo today. Seriously this has to be most buttery compressor ever created ?!?!

I mean I know I am late to the party but this seriously is something else + ton of good functions not found anywhere else, like a properly created bypass option. But the sound?!? Man...?!?!? Awesome!!!

Where can I get this on sale?

noiseresearch wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:25 am
Dark Lights wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:16 am I have a question to those who own Molot GE.
Yes you can disable the saturation but as the one posted before me: this is a character (colorful) compressor. Tons of possible sounds to shape the dynamics and the tone in a good way. For a clean compressor you may look at Kotelnikov - probably no way to have cleaner compression.
You are both right. As for Kotelnikov, I always had an impression that It's a master comp. So it would be good for track compression?

kmonkey wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:00 pm Because of this thread I tried Molotok GE demo today. Seriously this has to be most buttery compressor ever created ?!?!

I mean I know I am late to the party but this seriously is something else + ton of good functions not found anywhere else, like a properly created bypass option. But the sound?!? Man...?!?!? Awesome!!!

Where can I get this on sale?
At some point is was 25 dollars at AudioDelux. Wait for black Friday now.

kmonkey wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:00 pm Where can I get this on sale?
Right now, you can get it discounted only if you're lucky to find it second-hand.

Dark Lights wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:23 pm
noiseresearch wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:25 am
You are both right. As for Kotelnikov, I always had an impression that It's a master comp. So it would be good for track compression?
It works for mixing and mastering, it's just that Kot is so clean that most engineers don't like using it on mixes because it lacks "color".

heavymetalmixer wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:08 am It works for mixing and mastering, it's just that Kot is so clean that most engineers don't like using it on mixes because it lacks "color".
I think mixing without adding distortion all over is an unexplored avenue at this point.

attention ♥ wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:43 pm
heavymetalmixer wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:08 am It works for mixing and mastering, it's just that Kot is so clean that most engineers don't like using it on mixes because it lacks "color".
I think mixing without adding distortion all over is an unexplored avenue at this point.
As for myself, I have already enough "mojo" added on the track (pre-comp), so the character compressor would be an overkill.
Old producers didn't have so many "mojo" plugins back then, so let's forgive them for their comp obsession at present.

Dark Lights wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:23 pm You are both right. As for Kotelnikov, I always had an impression that It's a master comp. So it would be good for track compression?
It's a great track compressor. But it excels at transparency, whereas people often want obvious mojo from track compression. I like it for exposed acoustic instruments.

With the Gentleman's Edition there is also the frequency-dependent ratio feature which can be used to compensate or exaggerate the character change that comes with gain reduction.

Molotok is a great compressor :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Molotok GE is 25 Dollars on Audiodeluxe right now.

Return to “Effects”