Spectrasonics says they have big news coming next Tuesday (19th October)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
6615 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Post Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:31 pm

Thats why companies laugh about the consumers, get them fight and argue each other :D.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

KVRist
81 posts since 10 Sep, 2015

Post Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:50 pm

I said it before, and I say it again.

There are people that have asked if the build-in FX stuff from Omnisphere/Keyscape/Trilian/Stylus (RMX) could be released as stand-alone plugins. So my guess is that we get a complete suite of (maybe hugely improved) plugins extracted from their instruments library (and maybe some MIDI goodies like their arps and timing stuff).

Let's see if my guess is in the right direction...

KVRAF
3446 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:57 pm

Caine123 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:31 pm
Thats why companies laugh about the consumers, get them fight and argue each other :D.
Yup. It's all good fun, and then someone comes along and says something a bit silly, then doubles down when called on it until it becomes monumentally, galactically dumb and - whoa, we're on page 11! And in the meantime, that headline in the forum posts right at the top keeps saying "Spectrasonics says they have big news coming next Tuesday (19th October)". Bam bam bam.

I've long quit on these teaser discussions, but Spectrasonics is rare and interesting enough that I've broken my own rule. And part of the interest when I think about it is that they are so idiosyncratic and do their own thing despite any and all advice and seeming common-sense. Some of their choices have been insanely baffling and irritate me to this day, but overall it works. And I do admire that - they do their own thing.

I'm still hedging on a new themed range of products, hosted in Omni but with free player option. I'm going with Horror and... um... let's say fantasy.

I'm saying "no" to effects, because I'm pretty sure they said their licensing precludes standalone. They could have started from scratch using all their own tech of course.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2019 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 10.5
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

KVRAF
6615 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Post Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:32 am

noiseboyuk wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:57 pm
Caine123 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:31 pm
Thats why companies laugh about the consumers, get them fight and argue each other :D.
Yup. It's all good fun, and then someone comes along and says something a bit silly, then doubles down when called on it until it becomes monumentally, galactically dumb and - whoa, we're on page 11! And in the meantime, that headline in the forum posts right at the top keeps saying "Spectrasonics says they have big news coming next Tuesday (19th October)". Bam bam bam.

I've long quit on these teaser discussions, but Spectrasonics is rare and interesting enough that I've broken my own rule. And part of the interest when I think about it is that they are so idiosyncratic and do their own thing despite any and all advice and seeming common-sense. Some of their choices have been insanely baffling and irritate me to this day, but overall it works. And I do admire that - they do their own thing.

I'm still hedging on a new themed range of products, hosted in Omni but with free player option. I'm going with Horror and... um... let's say fantasy.

I'm saying "no" to effects, because I'm pretty sure they said their licensing precludes standalone. They could have started from scratch using all their own tech of course.
im always heavily interested in all what spectrasonics releases :D, cannot wait till tomorrow! hope we dont get disappointed.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

KVRAF
1745 posts since 26 Aug, 2012

Post Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:33 am

All you people gettin' your hopes up, I'd laugh if it was some useless subscription thing. That would make it the biggest anticlimax of the year. :lol:

AnX
KVRAF
10136 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:34 am

I think your posts take that prize...

KVRAF
3446 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:48 am

Kinh wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:33 am
All you people gettin' your hopes up, I'd laugh if it was some useless subscription thing. That would make it the biggest anticlimax of the year. :lol:
I mean fair enough - it's not in the OP and by p11 you can't be expected to have read all the posts, but sadly for the lols Spectrasonics have ruled subs out already in the YouTube video comments.

Oh, and an addendum to my guesss - I think these will be relatively low-priced, not behemoths.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2019 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 10.5
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

KVRist
91 posts since 9 Sep, 2006

Post Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:13 am

It's Elvis, Jagger and Bowie as VSTis based on AI. You write the lyrics and they'll sing... maybe together.

KVRist
132 posts since 12 Nov, 2020

Post Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:21 am

noiseboyuk wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:57 pm
...

I've long quit on these teaser discussions, but Spectrasonics is rare and interesting enough that I've broken my own rule.
LOL! "rare and interesting enough". Wow! You "broke your own rule", stunning and brave...
noiseboyuk wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:57 pm
And part of the interest when I think about it is that they are so idiosyncratic and do their own thing despite any and all advice and seeming common-sense. Some of their choices have been insanely baffling and irritate me to this day, but overall it works. And I do admire that - they do their own thing.
Wow - "they do their own thing" - which means absolutely NOTHING. When you say some of their choices have been "insanely baffling", do you mean like having terrible customer service and not allowing people to SELL their own software which they own? Do you mean like taking MONTHS to allow somebody to transfer Spectrasonics software to somebody else? Still making excuses for that, no doubt... After all, there are just SO many copies of Omnisphere for sale second hand on KVR every year. At least two.

User avatar
KVRAF
1953 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Post Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:34 am

noiseboyuk wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:57 pm
I'm saying "no" to effects, because I'm pretty sure they said their licensing precludes standalone. They could have started from scratch using all their own tech of course.
Yes, that was their original licensing agreement from the developer of the audio FX in their instruments. Of course, that was a while ago now, and it's possible that that agreement has expired, or Spectrasonics have renegotiated those terms, or that they have developed something from scratch free of those constraints.

However, I'm not sure they would really want to get into the crowded audio FX plugins market, it just doesn't seem like something they'd be interested in. Their core competencies are in sampling and sound design, and they've built their own instruments as a platform for that. It's possible of course, and perhaps due to their slow release rate they need a platform of smaller things to keep the revenue coming in, but in the main, their product strategy seems to be fewer massive products with a lot of scope, at reasonably high prices, and they've mostly shied away from paid preset/expansion packs as a revenue source, choosing instead to put new samples/presets etc in for free to owners.

Who knows though (apart from @vertibration, obvs) - one of the things might be something completely out of left field, or it might be something a bit less interesting (eg, Keyscape V2 with new pianos, Omnisphere 3 with some new wavetable/synthesis stuff).

We'll find out soon enough. In the meantime, there's the Apple event today to fill the time... ;)
Last edited by beely on Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
addled muppet weed
85889 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:34 am

zimmerabc wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:13 am
It's Elvis, Jagger and Bowie as VSTis based on AI. You write the lyrics and they'll sing... maybe together.
please god no!
the last time jagger and bowie sang together, was not good :scared:

KVRian
1168 posts since 23 Sep, 2004 from Kocmoc

Post Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:10 am

vurt wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:34 am
zimmerabc wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:13 am
It's Elvis, Jagger and Bowie as VSTis based on AI. You write the lyrics and they'll sing... maybe together.
please god no!
the last time jagger and bowie sang together, was not good :scared:
but was sexy
Soft Knees - Demoscene - Live 10 - Diva - Omnisphere - Slate Digital VSX - TDR - Kush Audio - Fabfilter - PA - Valhalla - Fuse - Pulsar - NI - OekSound etc...

KVRAF
9337 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:16 am

Yes their effects are licenses and can not be sold standalone. However they developed their own granular engine, which works like an effect on any sound source, including dsp oscillators, so it's conceivable that they could have made an effect out of that. Also going by the demo which sounds like a granular effect on vocals. Although more like their old granular effect with larger chunks of audio.

I'm skeptical that I will care actually. They specifically said it isn't the two things I'd be interested in. But still curious.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

KVRAF
3446 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:32 am

beely wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:34 am
noiseboyuk wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:57 pm
I'm saying "no" to effects, because I'm pretty sure they said their licensing precludes standalone. They could have started from scratch using all their own tech of course.
However, I'm not sure they would really want to get into the crowded audio FX plugins market, it just doesn't seem like something they'd be interested in. Their core competencies are in sampling and sound design, and they've built their own instruments as a platform for that. It's possible of course, and perhaps due to their slow release rate they need a platform of smaller things to keep the revenue coming in, but in the main, their product strategy seems to be fewer massive products with a lot of scope, at reasonably high prices, and they've mostly shied away from paid preset/expansion packs as a revenue source, choosing instead to put new samples/presets etc in for free to owners.
Agree on FX, but I suppose they have done the odd other expansion thing - the New Orleans RMX pack and the Moog Tribute library. It's odd that they didn't continue the full RMX expansions, my theory is that way back then they instead started to put their efforts into a new product that - yes - we're still waiting for, 86 years later.

Did anyone here suggest iOS versions of Omni / Keyscape or something? I don't think that's likely but not impossible I guess....
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2019 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 10.5
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

KVRAF
9337 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:37 am

Maye they'll make Omnisphere actually multi-touch compatible like they've been marketing for years. Because it isn't. At all. I am not expecting hat either so that must be it.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

Return to “Instruments”