Ableton Live 11.1 - Apple Silicon support public beta now available

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

I was expecting a more significant boost in performance. It’s not 30% faster during playback which is what they say native versus Rosetta 2 should be. Maybe half that so far and that’s being generous.

jonljacobi wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:25 pm
Tronam wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:15 am The only peculiar thing I've noticed so far on M1 is that CPU usage relative to buffer size seems backward to how it's always been in the past. The lower I set it, the lower the CPU usage, all the way down to 32 samples. :nutter:
Just tried this. The lower the buffer size, the worse the performance. As per normal.
I don't have an explanation for it. I know there are still issues with drum racks right now, but when running various M1 native plugins at a 512 samples buffer size my test project uses an average 24% CPU utilization. At 32 samples it hovers around 4% and it's a relatively steady downward progression between them. Some plugins are performing better than others. For example the new Polysix v2.2.1 update is about 80% more performant compared to running under Rosetta, at least for me in Live 11.1b4 so far. Other plugins by devs like Fabfilter and Valhalla seem nearly as efficient under Rosetta as native, so it can vary a bit.
Last edited by Tronam on Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ableton just just released Live 11.1b4
https://www.ableton.com/de/release-notes/live-11-beta/

New features and improvements
:
Updated the Clip View display options in the View menu.
Updated Clip View info texts and warp mode info texts.
Added support for keyboard shortcuts on French keyboard layouts for macOS versions 10.14 and older. Keyboard shortcuts that have numbers can be accessed without having to press Shift to access the number keys.
When switching between panels in Clip View using the keyboard shortcuts ALT + 1/2/3, the panel header that was switched to will be selected.
If Clip View is arranged horizontally when Live is first opened and either the Audio or Notes tab is selected, the corresponding panels in both audio and MIDI clips will remain unfolded when switching to Clip View’s vertical arrangement.
The waveform displays in the Max for Live devices Envelope Follower and Shaper now appear as expected.
Updated the bundled Max build to version 8.2.0 Beta 6465d36.

Tronam wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:46 pm
jonljacobi wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:25 pm
Tronam wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:15 am The only peculiar thing I've noticed so far on M1 is that CPU usage relative to buffer size seems backward to how it's always been in the past. The lower I set it, the lower the CPU usage, all the way down to 32 samples. :nutter:
Just tried this. The lower the buffer size, the worse the performance. As per normal.
I don't have an explanation for it. I know there are still issues with drum racks right now, but when running various M1 native plugins at a 512 samples buffer size my test project uses an average 24% CPU utilization. At 32 samples it hovers around 4% and it's a relatively steady downward progression between them. Some plugins are performing better than others. For example the new Polysix v2.2.1 update is about 80% more performant compared to running under Rosetta, at least for me in Live 11.1b4 so far. Other plugins by devs like Fabfilter and Valhalla seem nearly as efficient under Rosetta as native, so it can vary a bit.
I hear spooky music in the background... :o I ran nothing but native Live plugins and one of their demos so I’d guess it’s plug-in related.

That must be the difference then. I've been mostly testing with 3rd party plugins.

antic604 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:56 pm
spaceman wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:50 amAbleton are galloping away form the competition, if you ask me
What makes you say that? They're not the first to add Apple Silicon support, nor even the best in terms of how it works (e.g. no support for mixed Intel and native VSTs).
I meant Ableton Live in general
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Is the beta icon purple ? If yes, I'll wait.

Jolaff wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:31 pm Is the beta icon purple ? If yes, I'll wait.
:D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

The newest beta updates also Max/MSP to 8.2 . This brings us a new object live.adsr~ / live.adsrui "These are two new objects for generating and visualizing sample-accurate Attack-Decay-Sustain-Release envelopes". Hope we can loop them from start without objects. Great to see improvements here too. I love Max4Live, just wish the crossgrade to MAX would be a bit lower in price :D Can't wait to get my hands on 11.1 as I do not beta (although I like purple) :D
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

I think Ableton will need to patch Live for new MacBook Pros, because I can't see it being usable full-screen with that "notch" :D

18_apple_macbook_pro_14_i_macbook_pro_16_nowe_laptopy_z_ukladami_arm_m1_pro_oraz_m1_max_poznalismy_specyfikacje_oraz_ceny_0.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:42 pm I think Ableton will need to patch Live for new MacBook Pros, because I can't see it being usable full-screen with that "notch" :D

18_apple_macbook_pro_14_i_macbook_pro_16_nowe_laptopy_z_ukladami_arm_m1_pro_oraz_m1_max_poznalismy_specyfikacje_oraz_ceny_0.png
Maybe fullscreen mode will work differently where the universal menu bar will be pushed up and the application window itself will stop beneath the notch.

Tronam wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:46 pm
antic604 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:42 pm I think Ableton will need to patch Live for new MacBook Pros, because I can't see it being usable full-screen with that "notch" :D

Maybe fullscreen mode will work differently where the universal menu bar will be pushed up and the application window itself will stop beneath the notch.
That defeats the goal of full-screen though :)
Music tech enthusiast

No redesign needed, full-screen looks like this
15CEB408-0813-4CF3-A51C-99C335E07B70.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dalle wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:35 pm No redesign needed, full-screen looks like this15CEB408-0813-4CF3-A51C-99C335E07B70.jpeg
Ooh, massive Bessel…nice design Apple!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

You get a bezel AND a notch. That’s innovation!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”