Apple announce new 14" & 16" MBP with M1Pro and M1Max

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

k-tronix wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:03 pm Does everyone agree, at least based on what we know now, that Max's GPU processing power won't benefit those of use in strictly music production scenarios (e.g., don't do video whatsoever). For example, is there any way to parse out non-graphics threads to the GPU?
I wouldn't expect it to be hugely relevant for music production. Graphic/video work? Sure. 3D rendering? Do they even use Mac's for that? If so, yeah, probably. Music production isn't highly GPU intensive.

SLiC wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:39 pm Hate the 'notch' and also like the touch bar, other than that looks pretty nice. $2499 also gets you a heck of a lot of PC though...

A lot of people have no interest in front facing cameras, this should be an option with no bloody notch!
I'd rather be without it too, but since it takes up so much less relative space compared to the phone and is on the long side, I think this will be less bothersome. MacBook displays are already taller than traditional 16:9, so I doubt it'll ever encroach upon full screen video. Also, if this allows the menu bar to be pushed further up than normal, it'll mean more screen real estate for the application content. :shrug:

I just realised the 120Hz from the iPads is finally there. Nice.
The speakers also must be by far the best in any laptop....? Good micro, and finally high impedance headphones support.
Prices are high but I really think Apple delivers not bad this time. Even a freaking SD card slot, HDMI and (the only thing I missed from ports) mag safe again. There is hope for future MacBooks.
But still I would hard miss that Touchbar...

pdxindy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:11 pm I also chose the M1 Pro rather than the Max version cause for me, the MBP staying cooler and not having the fans come on is a priority. Whether that matters in this case, don't know... but I did not want to order the Max only to later learn that the Pro was quieter
Unless you are using plugins that engage the GPU, then it won't matter (I know of none). The heat load and power consumption will be nearly the same for the Pro and Max when not doing heavy lifting on the GPU. The doubled memory bandwidth will generate a bit more heat, but I doubt it will be enough to make a difference.

I do use Davinci Resolv, and very large sample libraries (Hauptwerk), so the Max was a must for me.
Last edited by teilo on Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:24 pm
k-tronix wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:03 pm Does everyone agree, at least based on what we know now, that Max's GPU processing power won't benefit those of use in strictly music production scenarios (e.g., don't do video whatsoever). For example, is there any way to parse out non-graphics threads to the GPU?
I wouldn't expect it to be hugely relevant for music production. Graphic/video work? Sure. 3D rendering? Do they even use Mac's for that? If so, yeah, probably. Music production isn't highly GPU intensive.
Thanks, I am thinking the same and will stick with the Max.
It's the music that makes the science worthwhile.

Well, the thing about the notch is that you are still getting a 16:10 display beneath the notch. What I REALLY would like to see is the menu bar moved below the notch, and the notch area used for menu bar icons, clock, etc.

Here's hoping that Barkeeper or a similar extension will be able to pull this off.
Last edited by teilo on Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

32GB ram should be just enough for me.
but CPU is the hard decision.
so there are 3, not 2, CPU types:

M1 Pro with 10-core CPU, 16-core GPU
M1 Max with 10-core CPU, 24-core GPU
M1 Max with 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

The look nice but I like my external multi-touch monitor too much. I'm guessing plugging a MBP to that won't work very nicely. When is macOS finally going to support touch?

I wonder, though:
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/10/ ... ro-m1-max/

It says: 'And musicians can use up to 3x as many plug-ins for recording on the all-new MacBook Pro with M1 Max.'

If audio performance is only determined by CPU, why single out the M1 Max?
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

medienhexer wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:42 pm I wonder, though:

It says: 'And musicians can use up to 3x as many plug-ins for recording on the all-new MacBook Pro with M1 Max.'

So you buy the higher tier model and make them more $$$ lol.
| MacOS Ventura MBP 14 M1 Pro 32GB RAM | PC Win 11 7950x3D 64GB RAM | Ableton | Bigwig| RME Babyface Pro | Yamaha HS8 |

I wanted a new Mac Mini. I don't want a new laptop!!! I'm tired of laptops!

New mac mini will next!
| MacOS Ventura MBP 14 M1 Pro 32GB RAM | PC Win 11 7950x3D 64GB RAM | Ableton | Bigwig| RME Babyface Pro | Yamaha HS8 |

All these ports coming back…next model will have a DVD drive :lol:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

8TB drive? Holy sh**. I think this will be my first time not maxxing out on specs. Probably do 4tb though.

medienhexer wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:42 pm I wonder, though:

Because it's not just the CPU. Memory matters, and it has double the memory bandwidth of the M1 Pro. 400GB/s.

Wondering what 3X is compared to, though. The M1 or the i9 8-core?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”