Apple announce new 14" & 16" MBP with M1Pro and M1Max

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's some perspective on exactly how good these processors are.

Intel's fastest laptop processor is the 11980HK, which has the numbers below.

Single core Geekbench: 1115
Multi core Geekbench: 6469
TDP: 45w

AMD's fastest laptop processor is the 5900HX, which has the numbers below.

Single core Geekbench: 1532
Multi core Geekbench: 8346
TDP: 45w

Below are the numbers we are seeing on the new Apple processors, which should be the same for both Pro and Max.

Single core Geekbench: 1749
Multi core Geekbench: 11542

I couldn't find the TDP, but I think we can safely assume it will be significantly lower than the 45w of the Intel and AMD offerings.

Anyone who doesn't think these processors are incredible has no idea what they are talking about. Apple is at least one entire generation ahead of Intel and AMD.

If you look up the prices of laptops that use the flagship Intel and AMD mobile processors, you will also see that M1 MacBooks can be good value.
Last edited by echosystm on Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nan_wpg wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:52 pm Umm, iPhone on a tripod? I do that all the time. Works fine.

But the notch doesn’t bother me. First world problems I suppose.
First world indeed, because the complaint is almost entirely aesthetic. All users will benefit from the increased functional screen real estate. The display's aspect ratio is also taller than 16:9, so the notch won't be visible in almost all video content save for 4:3 hipsters like Zack Snyder. I already see top and bottom black bars on all of my devices. It might be kind of lame for gaming, but who honestly games on a Mac? I just think the idea that a large scale, mainstream computer manufacturer is going to sell a laptop without a webcam, especially these days, is ludicrous. No matter how much we think these computers are "overpowered" for certain types of users, there's a wide spectrum of professional workflows these cater to and many of them depend on regular online collaboration. The noise cancelling triple mic array in these systems are there for a reason.

Tronam wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:32 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:29 pm
Tronam wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:25 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:25 pm
dellboy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:03 pm Still, these look lovely (sans the notch) and if you use MAC exclusively and are a power user I am sure they are a no-brainer :tu:
Yeh, I have the iPhone 13 max 'with the smaller notch' and it's about the only thing I really don't like, no notch on my new M1 iPad pro or daughters M1 Air, so why on the top of the range M1X?
Would you prefer a big black bar just for the camera where 80% of that space goes unused?
Personally I would prefer no front facing camera at all on a 'pro' audio/video laptop, leave that for the your phone. I suspect if they sold a second version without a front facing camera and no notch it would be more popular.
In 2020/2021? Really? Ever tried video conferencing at even a moderate level of professionalism for an hour with a cellphone?
Seems pretty good with my iPhone 13 pro max- head track, cinematic blur - very professional results, I actually cant think of anything better! Personally I don't like cameras built in to my computer screen (notch or no notch!) but I realise its doesn't bother a lot of people.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

In Apple HQ: Let's get back ports and f keys but shouldn't we f*** up something else? What is next in the list? Screen? Ok, let's f*** up screen.
Murderous duck!

I just wish they hadn't wasted the resources and space on features I'll never use like an HDMI port and SD card reader. The internal speakers are also completely useless to me because I'm always wearing much better quality sounding headphones.

Tronam wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:04 pm I just wish they hadn't wasted the resources and space on features I'll never use like an HDMI port and SD card reader. The internal speakers are also completely useless to me because I'm always wearing much better quality sounding headphones.
That is the thing... I am very happy to have the SD card reader back as I use it all the time for photography.

Tronam wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:38 pm First world indeed, because the complaint is almost entirely aesthetic.
It is not even an aesthetic thing... it is just OCD expressing itself.

16GB to 32GB = +460€
32GB to 64GB = +460€

512GB to 8TB SSD = +2760€

Apple's pricing is so arbitrary and out of touch with reality, I'm actually laughing :D

Have fun with your new gadgets :tu:

pdxindy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:10 pm
Tronam wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:04 pm I just wish they hadn't wasted the resources and space on features I'll never use like an HDMI port and SD card reader. The internal speakers are also completely useless to me because I'm always wearing much better quality sounding headphones.
That is the thing... I am very happy to have the SD card reader back as I use it all the time for photography.
What? You have a different use case than mine? Why can't Apple cater exclusively to me and just make two versions of these laptops, one with an SD card reader and one without!?

Tronam wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:32 pm
pdxindy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:10 pm
What? You have a different use case than mine? Why can't Apple cater exclusively to me and just make two versions of these laptops, one with an SD card reader and one without!?
I know... Apple really sucks don't they!

paterpeter wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:25 pm 16GB to 32GB = +460€
32GB to 64GB = +460€

Apple's pricing is so arbitrary and out of touch with reality, I'm actually laughing :D
I'm not familiar with the market for stuff. Can you buy an 8TB SSD that is as fast as the ones in the new MBP's significantly cheaper?

32GB to 64GB = +460€

Help us get in touch then. I'd love a cheaper 7.4GB/s 8TB SSD alternative that exists in a less arbitrary reality.
Last edited by Tronam on Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

32GB to 64GB = +460€

This is by far the biggest issue with Apple. While the new processors are extremely impressive and the memory bandwidth and what it entails is extremely impressive (heck, even the SSD speeds are impressive!) the nickle and dime tactic of charging "silly prices" for expansion is frustrating to say the least. Especially when it comes to memory which can not be upgraded later nor substituted in any other way than getting what you actually need at the beginning.

SSD can be somewhat circumvented by purchasing an external SSD (it's what I did for my Mac Mini) but it'd be awesome if you could use 3rd party SSD within the computer.

Still, there's absolutely no denying that the new computers are absolutely mindbogglingly far ahead of the competition at this time. We'll see how long it lasts though.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

They look nice, and if they are expensive, they must be good....

I've never owned a laptop, so no idea myself...

Tronam wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:44 pm
32GB to 64GB = +460€

Help us get in touch then. I'd love a cheaper 7.4GB/s 8TB SSD alternative that exists in a less arbitrary reality.
I couldn't find any information saying that it's a single 8TB drive. I suppose they build in two 4TB drives. 4TB m.2 pcie 4 drives with 7GB/s transfer rates are sub-1000€. So that's at least 800€ premium.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”