Ableton Live 11.1 - Apple Silicon support public beta now available

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

I don't like the notch aesthetically, but the alternative is wasted screen real estate dedicated to a thick black bar where only 10% of it is being used for anything functional. On an iPad thicker bezels make sense so that there's something to grip onto, but I'm okay with non-touchscreen laptop bezels being as thin as possible.

Dalle wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:58 pm You get a bezel AND a notch. That’s innovation!
If they had a punchout for the camera people would complain there's a hole in the screen.

They gave us more screen. I'll take it.

SLiC wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:41 pm
Dalle wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:35 pm No redesign needed, full-screen looks like this15CEB408-0813-4CF3-A51C-99C335E07B70.jpeg
Ooh, massive Bessel…nice design Apple!
Thats not the bezel.

rezoneight wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:53 pm
Dalle wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:35 pm No redesign needed, full-screen looks like this15CEB408-0813-4CF3-A51C-99C335E07B70.jpeg
Thats not the bezel.
No, you are correct, it’s slightly more annoying to me than a normal bezel if it’s anything like the one on my iPhone max
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Dalle wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:58 pm You get a bezel AND a notch. That’s innovation!
It’s a notch that can turn in to a bezel :dog:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:10 pm
rezoneight wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:53 pm
Thats not the bezel.
No, you are correct, it’s slightly more annoying to me than a normal bezel if it’s anything like the one on my iPhone max
Then I guess don't run apps in full screen?

Given that they put a much better camera in the notch, and the display is ridiculously good, I'll take the notch. Prefer it? Of course not but its there and they're giving a lot more in that display. I look at the screen, not the bezel or the notch so for me no issue at all. Even more because I won't be buying one but waiting for a bigger screen iMac with one of these chips for my musical use ;)

Full screen apps will look just like they do right now on the current MacBooks, with a continuous solid black bar at the top of the screen.

Tronam wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:23 pm Full screen apps will look just like they do right now on the current MacBooks, with a continuous solid black bar at the top of the screen.
Well, that's pretty stupid, no? With DAWs in particular and on a small laptop screen, you want to use the screen real estate to its fullest, to see more tracks, etc. But then again I often see Apple users in particular having this huge dock at the bottom, menu bar at the top and more often than not Live's welcome panel despite them using Live for years...
Last edited by antic604 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:38 pm
Tronam wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:23 pm Full screen apps will look just like they do right now on the current MacBooks, with a continuous solid black bar at the top of the screen.
Well, that's pretty stupid, no? With DAWs in particular and on a small laptop screen, you want to use the screen real estate to its fullest, to see more tracks, etc. But then again I often see Apple users in particular having this huge dock at the bottom, menu bar at the top and more often than not Live's welcome panel despite then using Live for years...
It doesn't seem that stupid to me, especially with a brand new design like this. Up until now all MacBooks have always had a straight black bezel at the top of the screen, so it's business as usual out the gate without any compatibility issues. Personally, now that the menu bar can be moved up into an area that always used to be blocked off, I won't likely ever use fullscreen mode. I do believe developers can update their apps though so that fullscreen mode can take advantage of the extra screen area, as long as it can shift any top center UI elements to either side of the camera.

Tronam wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:51 pm...I do believe developers can update their apps though so that fullscreen mode can take advantage of the extra screen area, as long as it can shift any top center UI elements to either side of the camera.
Which is all I was saying...
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:59 pm
Tronam wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:51 pm...I do believe developers can update their apps though so that fullscreen mode can take advantage of the extra screen area, as long as it can shift any top center UI elements to either side of the camera.
Which is all I was saying...
I’m pretty sure most DAWS could find something useful to display there rather than just drawing on a black bar of nothing.

11.1b5 is out, and it finally fixes the drum racks issues. Yay!

https://www.ableton.com/en/release-notes/live-11-beta/

11.1b5 Release Notes

New features and improvements:

• Updated the bundled Max build to version 8.2.0
Bugfixes:
  • Fixed an issue on Apple silicon computers where Drum Racks nested inside of an Instrument Rack could produce CPU overload and audio dropouts even when many of the nested chains were silent.
  • Selecting time on return tracks in Arrangement View now works as expected.
  • Fixed an issue in several Control Surface scripts that resulted in incorrect LED button states when deleting tracks.
  • Control Surfaces are now represented by their LOM ID as expected when retrieving the list of control_surfaces via live_app in Max for Live.

seems like everything is taking shape for apple silicon support, might finally make the move..now just gotta decide if m1pro or m1max. Also can't wait to try the new pitchshifter, but i guess i'll wait for a stable release.

polycrome wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:41 amnow just gotta decide if m1pro or m1max
I think that particular decision is pretty easy, as the important difference is only related to GPU cores (32 vs. 16) and max RAM (64 vs. 32). If you're doing video/photo editing and maybe plan on gaming, then Max might be reasonable; but for exclusively audio work Pro should be more than enough.
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”