Is Omnisphere 2 still worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark and Light Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

Spectrasonics - Sonic Extensions - Unclean Machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tbr9z7aANE

The perfect synth does not exists. All have plus and minus (i'd love more modulation flexibility with envelopes, just to mention one, also... a random button with that huge sample content could be a killer feature...). Omnisphere is huge in sample content, very easy to learn and program, has great flexible all modulatable effects, is super good in the overall sound quality.
It all depends on what someone is looking for. Omnisphere covers many genres, but will not be perfect for all needs. That's why we all have many plugins...

If anyone's interested, I'm selling my license for Omnisphere 2 due to medical reasons/costs (has nothing to do with the latest Spectrasonics news). If you're interested, feel free to PM me.

Love this synth and still use it!

Don't want to create a new topic, but would appreciate a quick advice here:

After Omnisphere 2, I am possibly interested in getting Trilian or Keyscape. Which one would you recommend first in general?

I play keyboards, but I am not sure I need such big collection of keyboards since the keys won't be focused in the songs that much anyway. Not trying to compare, but I have keys covered in Kontakt libraries, Arturia, etc. stuff. And I am possibly getting the Unclean Machine Sonic Extension, which will add some more keys and bells stuff.

For bass, I have all NI Kontakt libraries and EZbass.

I am leaning towards Trilian (one reason being it will be cheaper) but need a quick help to decide whether I need it and which one would make a better choice in your opinion. I see that Trilian 1.5 has added some great patches for Omnisphere 2 in the form of Trilian Creative.

Any good video recommendations that can help in decision making would be appreciated too.

LoveEnigma18 - it's always very hard to weigh in on the decisions of others like this...

In fact, Trilian Creative was simply a re-badge of the original "VIP" patches for those who owned Trilian and Omni. IIRC they originally came in two batches. There's around 200 of them, and this compares to 1,200 patches in Keyscape Creative. In general, I'd say Keyscape does feel like a bigger product all round, which I guess explains the cost discrepancy.

But it's harder to quantify the relative worth of each when stacked against other products you already own. I have Trilian, the NI Basses, MODO Bass, a few others like OT's Cherry and I play a real bass. Of those, I find myself playing real bass 70% of the time, and the other 30% is Trilian. Trilian just sounds incredible and has this broad range, and of course has that fantastic upright. MODO bass is a wonderful product, but I simply don't need it and shouldn't have bought it - if I want complete realism, I just play the real bass. The NI basses seem well done too, but again I don't need them. Trilian is the only one which offers me something over and above my real bass, and that's 100% the tones. Those basses are classics.

As for Keyscape, I guess I do routinely turn to it for electric pianos now, even though I still love the Scarbee / NI collection. It's very well done, and the various versions - amped and treated in various other ways - are great. I personally don't love the tone of the huge C7 as much as some, but I do occasionally use it. I really like the hybrid patches, and some of the old digital pianos like the MKS20 are evergreen.

When I'm generally searching for patches in Omni, it's pretty common for me to find results from either product.

All of which means - they're both good and it's hard to pick one, which is the sort of vague and unhelpful advice you probably weren't after!
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk: Thank you for your advice. I absolutely understand your point, but actually getting some sort of opinion actually helps me in the process. I don't take decisions solely based on the suggestions but rather use them as a different perspective and to make sure I don't spent a big amount for something I can't demo and need to rely on audio demos, videos, or other's opinions.

I appreciate the comparisons you made, and before I read your post, while I was taking shower after posting my comment, I'd almost decided that I just got a bit excited and I don't really need Trilian or Keyscape despite they being amazing. After reading your post, I think I can pass them, at least for now. I forgot to mention I do have MODO Bass (apart from many other products I got during their recent Group Buy) and Output products.

It is hard to pick one for sure, so I just need to prioritize based on need and budget, like I did with Sonic Extensions (from choosing two/three to only one). So, if at all I decide to buy one of them in future, it will probably be Trilian first.

If I want to be able to get lo-fi/8-bit-esque Flying Lotus sounds, is Omnisphere pretty much my only choice? I've looked at like Nexus 3 and Massive X, but I'm not a sound designer and all I'm really missing from my collection is that kind of lo-fi bleeps and bloops stuff.

beleca wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:43 pm If I want to be able to get lo-fi/8-bit-esque Flying Lotus sounds, is Omnisphere pretty much my only choice? I've looked at like Nexus 3 and Massive X, but I'm not a sound designer and all I'm really missing from my collection is that kind of lo-fi bleeps and bloops stuff.
i'm not entirely sure why you think omni is your first choice for this. there's nothing wrong with using omni to do that style but i'm sure there are plenty of other options.

gaggle of hermits wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:18 pm
beleca wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:43 pm If I want to be able to get lo-fi/8-bit-esque Flying Lotus sounds, is Omnisphere pretty much my only choice? I've looked at like Nexus 3 and Massive X, but I'm not a sound designer and all I'm really missing from my collection is that kind of lo-fi bleeps and bloops stuff.
i'm not entirely sure why you think omni is your first choice for this. there's nothing wrong with using omni to do that style but i'm sure there are plenty of other options.
Eh, I've looked, listened to literally every preset on a few of them and I've asked several people who own Omnisphere, Nexus 3, Massive X, some of the U-he stuff and a few others and I was told almost unanimously that the new Omnisphere extension is my best bet. I'm talking in terms of presets. Obviously it's possible to use lots of synths if you're gonna be editing wavetables and learning modular stuff, creating your own patches, etc. but I'm not going to spend all that time figuring that stuff out.

For anyone that has it, how is the ILIO Patch Bundle for Omnisphere 2?

https://www.ilio.com/patch-bundle-for-omnisphere-2

I am pretty sure it will go on sale for $99 ($199 right now) just before Black Friday, as it does every year. I heard some demos and they sound awesome to me. A good complimentary set to go with Unclean Machine for me I think.

(I already have their brilliant The Fame Series Bundle for Omnisphere 2™, which should also go on sale for $79 during BF: https://www.ilio.com/fame-series-bundle ... nisphere-2)

You are correct that the Patch Bundle will go on sale for Black Friday @LoveEnigma18. :)

As the producer of both The Fame Series and the ILIO Patch Bundle, I'm happy to read this and even more happy that you enjoy the ILIO Patch Libraries you currently own!

The 7 Pack (Patch Bundle) has a lot of variety and is a great value for the price. I realize I'm a little biased saying that, but everyone should know that a LOT of very meticulous programming goes into all our patch libraries and that's one of the things that sets us apart in the third-party patch world!

midihead wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:17 pm You are correct that the Patch Bundle will go on sale for Black Friday @LoveEnigma18. :)

As the producer of both The Fame Series and the ILIO Patch Bundle, I'm happy to read this and even more happy that you enjoy the ILIO Patch Libraries you currently own!

The 7 Pack (Patch Bundle) has a lot of variety and is a great value for the price. I realize I'm a little biased saying that, but everyone should know that a LOT of very meticulous programming goes into all our patch libraries and that's one of the things that sets us apart in the third-party patch world!
I really appreciate the work you have done on these libraries, so a big thanks to you and anyone else involved. I enjoyed the video demonstrations too.

I have listened to audio demos of a lot of Omnisphere libraries and I feel ILIO ones are somehow more suitable for the type of music I make. I absolutely love The Fame Series and I highly recommend it to those who have Omnisphere 2.

Looking forward to getting the Patch Bundle, or at least 2-3 libraries from that bundle that suit best, to complete my ILIO collection. :)

Keep up the great work and best wishes. :tu:

That bundle does look interesting. Thanks for heads up.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Not the right topic, but thought it is worth mentioning: Stylus RMX finally has a resizable GUI. :o

Get the free update from your account. :tu:

Return to “Instruments”