Any point in me getting Win11?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lotus2035 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:59 am
audiojunkie wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:50 pm Those of us who are on Arch have no need for Windows 11. ;-)
And no music software either. :party:
I have sufficient for my needs. 8)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Don't you want to add it to your sig? That way everyone knows, everywhere, wherever you post.

audiojunkie wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:12 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:50 pm Those of us who are on Arch have no need for Windows 11. ;-)
I would switch to Linux in a heartbeat if the selection of music software was even 50% of what is available on Windows/Mac but sadly it's far less.
It's very cool that Reaper has a native Linux version though, more companies should follow suit.

chk071 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:25 pm Don't you want to add it to your sig? That way everyone knows, everywhere, wherever you post.
There’s no space because of my rant against intrusive copy protection. 😜
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

lotus2035 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:09 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:12 pm
I would switch to Linux in a heartbeat if the selection of music software was even 50% of what is available on Windows/Mac but sadly it's far less.
It's very cool that Reaper has a native Linux version though, more companies should follow suit.
It’s getting better. Slowly, but surely. This has by far been the best year yet. Companies like Uhe and TAL-Software and DiscoDSP make it even better. I’d like to see more software companies support Linux, but there need to be customers first. I’ve seen a huge influx of Linux Pro Audio users in the past year, so hopefully it will get even better soon. 🙂

lotus2035 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:09 pmI would switch to Linux in a heartbeat if the selection of music software was even 50% of what is available on Windows/Mac but sadly it's far less.
Why?
Why? I'd prefer it if companies concentrated on a single platform and fully exploited everything on offer. That's a big part of what makes 3DS Max such a great piece of software - it only runs on Windows so it is free to take full advantage of all the funcitonality Windows has to offer. OTOH, another Autodesk product, Combustion, was totally hamstrung by the need to run on both Mac and PC. So instead of getting Direct X support, everything had to work with OpenGL instead. Urgh!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Don't know if there is "any Point" for you. For me it is simply the continuation from Windows 10 and that's how Microsoft recommends it. I installed Windows 11 on the 6th of October and did not notice any lag or a 15% slowing down. I don't Benchmark. Windows 11 just works normal. I'm still on the release Version Build 22000.194.

Later this day I'll get the optimized Chipset driver from AMD and make some Updates,
BONES wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:12 am I read a review the other day that I found quite concerning. They have reduced the size of right-click menus for some weird reason and that means things that I've been doing for 20 years are gone, like right-clicking on the Taskbar to open Task Manager. In other places they have put extra entries in a flyout labelled "More" so some things that were previously a simple two-step process - right-click to bring up the menu and left click to select an option - are now fussy three click affairs.

I've been on the cutting edge for a decade now, since the first Windows 8 public betas went live, but I have no intention of updating to Windows 11 for the foreseeable future. It seems to me like a massively dumped-down experience for the smartphone obsessed generation, at the expense of people who need to get shit done.
You can open the Task Manager ( and several other settings ) with right click on the Start Button. That's great, I often had problems to open the Task Manager when the Task Bar was full.
There is much more Space on the Task Bar too because the ( tabs are now- ) Icons are smaller on Win 11 in oppose to the Win 10 tabs.
I was confused where are the copy and paste, rename, recycle bin and send to Menu on Win 11 when right clicking. They are right there, they just transformed into an Icon. :lol:
For now, I don't see anything bad with the right click Menu. "fussy three click affairs", but only with menus that are not needed all the time. I don't miss anything beside that copy and paste must be there, for sure.

Don't know where the negativity comes from. I don't read Computer sites,only if it is necessary and a lag that is found by a Benchmark seems not necessarily necessary to me ( great word btw. :hihi: )
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

The Windows 11 update
http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msd ... 1ad009.msu
http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msd ... 23c923.msu

The latest ChipSet drivers, fix UEFI CPPC2 in Windows 11 build 22000.189 (or newer) on AMD processors
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/am ... t-drivers/

t3toooo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:07 pmYou can open the Task Manager ( and several other settings ) with right click on the Start Button. That's great, I often had problems to open the Task Manager when the Task Bar was full.
Yeah, I saw that the other day when I was playing around with it in a shop.
There is much more Space on the Task Bar too because the ( tabs are now- ) Icons are smaller on Win 11 in oppose to the Win 10 tabs.
Really? Because that's one area of concern I still have - the Taskbar on the laptop I was looking at was something like twice the height of my current W10 Taskbar, which is unacceptable. If I can reduce the size I'll be happy enough. Whilst I'd prefer to have the labels, I'm sure I can live without them.
I was confused where are the copy and paste, rename, recycle bin and send to Menu on Win 11 when right clicking. They are right there, they just transformed into an Icon. :lol:
For now, I don't see anything bad with the right click Menu. "fussy three click affairs", but only with menus that are not needed all the time. I don't miss anything beside that copy and paste must be there, for sure.[/quote]
I'm feeling a lot more comfortable after using it for myself but I want to go back and have another look, just to see how small I can make the Taskbar and how right-click menus work in Explorer and a couple of little things like that, before I take the plunge.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:37 am Right, because Windows is so well known for bugs.
I was nodding along in agreement until I realized you were being facetious.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Well, I can't say I've ever encountered one outside of betas and even in betas they are rare. Windows always just works.

That's weird, because everyone knows the Windows BSOD intimately.

I have nothing but problems from Windows.
Typical sorts of problems:

Windows randomly claims network gateway is 0.0.0.0. Sometimes for days on end.
Windows suddenly stops noticing when hotswap drives/USB drives are plugged in.
Files that are copied to USB drives just aren't there when the drive is plugged back in if you don't wait some unreasonable amount of time before unplugging the drive after copying, and there is no "safely eject drive" feature for USB.

And then there are all the things that people have relied on for years that Microsoft arbitrarily decides to remove from Windows, and then when some good soul figures out how to hack it back in, Microsoft rips the supporting code for it out completely in the next build, because f**k you.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I last saw a BSOD in 2003, when I first installed Windows XP, and that was down to a third party driver that needed updating, not a bug in Windows.

The network and hot-swap issues are not things I have ever seen, either at home or at work. To be fair, I've never used a hot-swappable drive but my laptop always sees a USB drive when I plug it, as long as I plug it in properly. And, honestly, it must be more than a decade since I've even had to think about networking stuff, let alone do anything, It all just works these days.

Of course there is a way to safely remove a USB drive - right-click on the icon in Explorer and select "Eject".

What has Microsoft ever taken out that anybody still needed? They just don't do that. You still get Internet Explorer and WMP, FFS. You can even still use Control Panel if you want to.

jamcat wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:04 am That's weird, because everyone knows the Windows BSOD intimately.
Not since Windows Me here....

Well, I've seen it under Windows 10... but, exclusively when I didn't install the vendor's drivers, but instead relied that Windows 10 installs all drivers itself, which sometimes leads to old, or non-optimized drivers being installed, which isn't Windows 10's fault, if the vendors don't offer decent drivers on Windows Update (Microsoft and the vendors have to work together there).

I'm sure that you also get BSOD's when, like many clueless Windows users, you install all those great system optimizer, tuner, security, or privacy tools, which dig so deep into the system, when you operate them cluelessly, that they simply can mess things up. They can even prevent Windows from updating.

That's also the big difference between Windows and Mac users: Mac users simply won't (and won't have to) install drivers, or useless system optimizers, tuners, security suites, and what not. Which makes it obvious that there are less such issues on Mac OS.

Someone wrote here not too long ago that in 99% of the cases, the issue is the guy sitting in front of the screen. Well... with more control (Windows) comes more responsibility, and the more need to at least halfway have a clue what you are doing.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”