Spectrasonics build up to Sonic Extensions....

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark and Light Omnisphere 2 Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

noiseboyuk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:40 pm
pixel85 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:51 am It's not like Omnisphere got cheaper or went on a promo for $99 (or $29 :D) to reach hobbyists and people who can't justify spending so much on one plugin instrument.
Spectrasonics is a serious business for serious professional musicians ;) Something like "luxury" Apple and iPhone, but with actual real value in their products.
Ah - Apple don't give value but Spectrasonics do? You're the arbiter of value - good to know.

My only issue is their specific discounting model precluding people spreading out their purchasing power. Eric was asked about Rent To Own in the Q&A and he gave an emphatic, unequivocal NO. Never. However, he did say that retailers often offer payment options. Fine. But you can only buy the Extensions from their website, no retailer option, which actively works against any way of spreading out payment. Just feels disingenuous to me.
This is exactly how I am buying Omnisphere, finance, I see no reason why they couldn't have done the same. Obviously they aren't physical packs but some kind of rent to own would be nice as $149 is a lot for 1 pack. If they did promo's or black friday sales or such like, then wouldn't be an issue. Would be something to look forward to, be he said in the video, no sales ever. Kinda cutting your nose off to spite your face.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

LeVzi wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:16 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:52 am
LeVzi wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:59 amAnd they've happily said "No Sales EVER" which really p!ssed me off. I am using Omnisphere a LOT now I have it, offers me something different, but they need to revisit their pricing on these extensions.
That has been their policy for the last couple of decades, so you can't be surprised?

Which reminds me - people have said that the existence of a PROMO code suggests their comments are disingenuous. I could be wrong, but I think that box has always existed.

Yesterday they ran a contest and gave away all 4 expansions to one lucky winner. I expect he got a PROMO code. That, essentially, is what it will be for (not just this one guy I mean, but when they give away gratis copies for whatever reason).
My experience with Spectrasonics started 4 days ago.
Well nice you're using a lot in 4 days!

One of the things to learn about this industry how differently developers do things. Always worth doing a bit of research if possible before buying, as it will invariably determine what, when and how you buy. There's very few like Spectrasonics that NEVER do sales - they may even be in a category of one now, I can't recall any others right now.

The flip side is that they almost always add free content over time. Remains to be seen if this every happens with the Extensions of course.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:23 pm
LeVzi wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:16 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:52 am
LeVzi wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:59 amAnd they've happily said "No Sales EVER" which really p!ssed me off. I am using Omnisphere a LOT now I have it, offers me something different, but they need to revisit their pricing on these extensions.
That has been their policy for the last couple of decades, so you can't be surprised?

Which reminds me - people have said that the existence of a PROMO code suggests their comments are disingenuous. I could be wrong, but I think that box has always existed.

Yesterday they ran a contest and gave away all 4 expansions to one lucky winner. I expect he got a PROMO code. That, essentially, is what it will be for (not just this one guy I mean, but when they give away gratis copies for whatever reason).
My experience with Spectrasonics started 4 days ago.
Well nice you're using a lot in 4 days!

One of the things to learn about this industry how differently developers do things. Always worth doing a bit of research if possible before buying, as it will invariably determine what, when and how you buy. There's very few like Spectrasonics that NEVER do sales - they may even be in a category of one now, I can't recall any others right now.

The flip side is that they almost always add free content over time. Remains to be seen if this every happens with the Extensions of course.
Well thats one concern, its my understanding that with new updates for OmniSphere, you get more additional content. Will that still happen now, or is all new content for the core program going to come from these extensions ?

Either way, I hope SSonics offer some kinda discount, $149 a pop with more extensions on the way, is a lot to find on top of the price of the original.

The fireside discussion was interesting - I knew quite a few of the stories already, and always find them interesting, but there were a few takeaways for me. Spectrasonics are notoriously secretive about what they are working on (they "Haven't Forgotten About Rhythm" though), but they did talk about the development path of some of these things, including the SE expansions, that went in one direction, then didn't work out, so they went a different path, and they had to try a few ways before finally arriving on the best way to do it.

I like them acknowledging the development "failures" or dead ends along the way, and this is one reason I think they don't like to talk about what they are doing, in case things just don't work out, like they have done before.

Secondly, there was one point where Eric was talking about the development path of the instruments, and sort of went "this was also true when developing R... then he realises he doesn't want to talk about "RMX", and clunkily stumbles around for words, changing to "our.. our, our instruments...". If he hadn't of fairly obviously got stuck into an awkward place he needed to get out of carefully, I would have just taken the first first "R" as "our" and then him just losing his conversational thread, but the stumbling for words was uncharacteristic of his presentation, and I took it as a clear sign he stopped himself from saying something he didn't want to say. (Even if it was something we all know, and is clearly implied - they *are* working on future versions of RMX, and have been for some time - how many years now have they had to say they haven't forgotten about rhythm...)

I'm pretty sure they the Sonic Extensions thing will be their platform going forward to sell expansion content that's outside of the scope of their current factory libraries (they said this themselves) and that this concept will roll out to all their instruments. Everyone wants a platform they control these days - Kontakt, UVI, Soundpaint etc all sell expansion content for their platform and this makes business sense. And not all of that content is going to appeal to the same set of people (although there are commercial users who will just hoover up anything Spectrasonics immediately and get the value from that content in their work.)

And they also said they will continue to add free updates and content to their instruments too, that won't change either.

Anyway, so here's looking forward to our... our... our-em-ex too... eventually... ;)
Last edited by beely on Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeVzi wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:33 pmWell thats one concern, its my understanding that with new updates for OmniSphere, you get more additional content. Will that still happen now, or is all new content for the core program going to come from these extensions ?
In the Q&A they said there would be more free - and paid - updates coming for the main products (as Beely just said above). So there may well be more significant freebies on the way, but next whole point updates might be on the cards too.

Incidentally just realised something - I think a product called Guitarscape is now very unlikely. Nylon Sky wouldn't exist if there were a huge guitar-based library in development.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

You know when you activate a license with Spectrasonics they ask you what are you interested in? What do you put?

I have a hard time believing anyone put I want expansions at $150!!!

noiseboyuk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:40 pm
pixel85 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:51 am It's not like Omnisphere got cheaper or went on a promo for $99 (or $29 :D) to reach hobbyists and people who can't justify spending so much on one plugin instrument.
Spectrasonics is a serious business for serious professional musicians ;) Something like "luxury" Apple and iPhone, but with actual real value in their products.
Ah - Apple don't give value but Spectrasonics do? You're the arbiter of value - good to know.

My only issue is their specific discounting model precluding people spreading out their purchasing power. Eric was asked about Rent To Own in the Q&A and he gave an emphatic, unequivocal NO. Never. However, he did say that retailers often offer payment options. Fine. But you can only buy the Extensions from their website, no retailer option, which actively works against any way of spreading out payment. Just feels disingenuous to me.

Buy it with PayPal credit, spread it over 6 months.

Judging by the quality of the sound alone the expansions are worth every single cent. I understand when people say $150 is a lot of money but this is not a collection of sound packs. It feels more like perfectly crafted sample libraries or instruments. Good sample libraries are always expensive and cost more than $150.
Adding the option to edit the sound within Omnisphere unleashes a sound design universe.
Nylon Sky is a dream if you love ambient music. And unlike most other guitar libraries, it can be played across the whole keyboard range.

Guys I'm on the verge of buying them all. It's taken me two days but I'm almost there.

noiseboyuk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:59 pm
LeVzi wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:33 pmWell thats one concern, its my understanding that with new updates for OmniSphere, you get more additional content. Will that still happen now, or is all new content for the core program going to come from these extensions ?
In the Q&A they said there would be more free - and paid - updates coming for the main products (as Beely just said above). So there may well be more significant freebies on the way, but next whole point updates might be on the cards too.

Incidentally just realised something - I think a product called Guitarscape is now very unlikely. Nylon Sky wouldn't exist if there were a huge guitar-based library in development.
I messed up the times for the Q&A but thats good to know that the core program will continue to get updates. And i'll wait for these extensions to come, see what else they offer.

LeVzi wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:49 pmI messed up the times for the Q&A
You're in luck! Next time you have a spare 2 1/2 hours...

https://youtu.be/hPZkkFTh2y0
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

hoxclab wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:06 pm Guys I'm on the verge of buying them all. It's taken me two days but I'm almost there.
I quick bought them all before I chickened out. I knew if I didn't get them now, I'd want them later. Might as well go for the 30% off discount.

After checking it out, I have most of this current material covered with other products. I wouldn't mind a "vocal engine" themed expansion.

Well, the sounds are excellent (of course...). You get around 2000 of them for each expansion, plus new effects which sound quite good, which all in all is a lot.
How many of us has spent 150 (or more) for and effects suite, or just a mastering tool? :P
I think many of us... don't you? So, I think about it. I love to spend money when I am pretty sure it is quality stuff, I feel happy then! :pray:

Return to “Instruments”