Things that never happened to you in other DAWs :o

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRAF
10730 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:37 pm

Well, I just had a WTF?! moment with Cubase yesterday evening.

I opened it, added some normal stuff to a project I've been toying with - new tracks, few clips, automation, etc. - and when I was closing it Windows blue screened on me. For 5-10 seconds I had no idea what's going on, because I DON'T REMEMBER SEEING WINDOWS BLUE SCREEN in the last couple of years, so it looked different to what I remembered.

So if that wasn't enough, when I booted back and launched Cubase, it acted as if I only just installed it - all my custom settings, keyboard shortcuts, colour palette, VST paths, etc. were gone! Luckily the templates and projects were still there. So I had to spend 1+ hours setting everything back like I want it... :dog:

Well, Cubase definitely is unique ;) :D
Stuff for sale: iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, incl. N3 Adv, O9 Adv, Tonal Bal. Ctrl 2, RX7 Std, Vocal Synth 2, Nectar 3, R4+Nimbus. PM me :)

Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRAF
6366 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:10 am

In Max/MSP it used to happen, if you change settings they are only saved when you quit. They are lost on crashes. I have the feeling, this is convenient for the devs, it can be a catastrophe for the users…
These apps need a setting to save settings when you set them…

KVRian
1175 posts since 23 Sep, 2004 from Kocmoc

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:26 am

antic604 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:37 pm
I DON'T REMEMBER SEEING WINDOWS BLUE SCREEN in the last couple of years
Might be something to do with the protection stuff?
I've not seen BSOD since 2013 I put this machine up :pray:
Soft Knees - Demoscene - Live 10 - Diva - Omnisphere - Slate Digital VSX - TDR - Kush Audio - Fabfilter - PA - Valhalla - Fuse - Pulsar - NI - OekSound etc...

KVRAF
23300 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:44 am

It seems doubtful Cubase deleted preferences from disk. BSOD more typically signals a hardware problem, Cubase causing it per se is absurd.

In Cubase, the key commands are in the highest folder of Preferences; there is a "UserPreferences' there, which is where the toolbar setup lives; in Presets there is a RAM Presets which is where CC lane presets live, and a Windows Layout in there, self-explanatory. Also there's a subfolder Project Templates (which I don't see any use in, these are just .cpr files).
So there are the ones I don't want to lose and have to set up all over again. There are around 70 Preference defaults I have to change as it is, rebuilding prefs

that said, if it's 11 and one's experience is like mine, it forgets some of this the majority of launches. Global Tracks in Key Editor (1 of 2 reasons I don't just use 10.5) rarely is correct coming back to a project.

KVRian
1214 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:04 am

antic604 wrote:
As in, “WTF am I booting up Cubase when I have Studio One?!” :hihi:
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:19 am

jamcat wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:04 am
antic604 wrote:
As in, “WTF am I booting up Cubase when I have Studio One?!” :hihi:
In that case, I'm in a constant state of WTF with Bitwig, Cubase, FL, Live, Reason & Studio One :D
Stuff for sale: iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, incl. N3 Adv, O9 Adv, Tonal Bal. Ctrl 2, RX7 Std, Vocal Synth 2, Nectar 3, R4+Nimbus. PM me :)

Music tech enthusiast

addled muppet weed
86127 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:45 pm

antic604 wrote:

I opened it, added some normal stuff to a project I've been toying with - new tracks, few clips, automation, etc. - and when I was closing it Windows blue screened on me. For 5-10 seconds I had no idea what's going on, because I DON'T REMEMBER SEEING WINDOWS BLUE SCREEN in the last couple of years, so it looked different to what I remembered.

So if that wasn't enough, when I booted back and launched Cubase, it acted as if I only just installed it - all my custom settings, keyboard shortcuts, colour palette, VST paths, etc. were gone! Luckily the templates and projects were still there. So I had to spend 1+ hours setting everything back like I want it... :dog:

just a warning, saw the title, thought it was an intrancer thread :shrug:
make of that, what you will.

KVRAF
3001 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:13 pm

^ Same hahahaha

KVRAF
3001 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:14 pm

Once I made a track in one DAW. :ud:

KVRAF
2427 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:50 pm

Beta testing....

THE INTRANCER - KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source A Styler Site | Program Resource | Music Gallery | Art | GUI Design | Films | Music Legend Docs | 80's Kids Shows | Games | DAW Tutorials | Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:57 pm

vurt wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:45 pm
just a warning, saw the title, thought it was an intrancer thread :shrug:
make of that, what you will.
Lol. I thought of that when I was writing it :D

I just didn't wanted to make it about Cubase specifically, because I believe it was some freak one-off fluke, but still wanted to write about it.

Music tech enthusiast

KVRAF
2427 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:03 pm

And I was just going to create a thread about how you can end up being locked in your cupboard after using the DAW you hate most.
THE INTRANCER - KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source A Styler Site | Program Resource | Music Gallery | Art | GUI Design | Films | Music Legend Docs | 80's Kids Shows | Games | DAW Tutorials | Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16

KVRist
119 posts since 13 Aug, 2017 from Gothenburg

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:36 am

If you run "perfmon /rel" in Win10 then it opens the Reliability Monitor app and you can click on the last BSOD crash and get more info about it. It usually tells you the Stop Code and you can look that up for more details.

It's likely to be a hardware or driver issue.

addled muppet weed
86127 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:11 am

THE INTRANCER wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:03 pm
And I was just going to create a thread about how you can end up being locked in your cupboard after using the DAW you hate most.
you should, im sure it's a very common issue.

KVRian
1175 posts since 23 Sep, 2004 from Kocmoc

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:38 am

PeterP_swe wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:36 am
If you run "perfmon /rel" in Win10 then it opens the Reliability Monitor app and you can click on the last BSOD crash and get more info about it. It usually tells you the Stop Code and you can look that up for more details.

It's likely to be a hardware or driver issue.
Or get WhoCrashed or similar which'll analyze and tell you the driver / hardware culprit
Soft Knees - Demoscene - Live 10 - Diva - Omnisphere - Slate Digital VSX - TDR - Kush Audio - Fabfilter - PA - Valhalla - Fuse - Pulsar - NI - OekSound etc...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”