Things that never happened to you in other DAWs :o

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, I just had a WTF?! moment with Cubase yesterday evening.

I opened it, added some normal stuff to a project I've been toying with - new tracks, few clips, automation, etc. - and when I was closing it Windows blue screened on me. For 5-10 seconds I had no idea what's going on, because I DON'T REMEMBER SEEING WINDOWS BLUE SCREEN in the last couple of years, so it looked different to what I remembered.

So if that wasn't enough, when I booted back and launched Cubase, it acted as if I only just installed it - all my custom settings, keyboard shortcuts, colour palette, VST paths, etc. were gone! Luckily the templates and projects were still there. So I had to spend 1+ hours setting everything back like I want it... :dog:

Well, Cubase definitely is unique ;) :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

In Max/MSP it used to happen, if you change settings they are only saved when you quit. They are lost on crashes. I have the feeling, this is convenient for the devs, it can be a catastrophe for the users…
These apps need a setting to save settings when you set them…

antic604 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:37 am I DON'T REMEMBER SEEING WINDOWS BLUE SCREEN in the last couple of years
Might be something to do with the protection stuff?
I've not seen BSOD since 2013 I put this machine up :pray:
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

It seems doubtful Cubase deleted preferences from disk. BSOD more typically signals a hardware problem, Cubase causing it per se is absurd.

In Cubase, the key commands are in the highest folder of Preferences; there is a "UserPreferences' there, which is where the toolbar setup lives; in Presets there is a RAM Presets which is where CC lane presets live, and a Windows Layout in there, self-explanatory. Also there's a subfolder Project Templates (which I don't see any use in, these are just .cpr files).
So there are the ones I don't want to lose and have to set up all over again. There are around 70 Preference defaults I have to change as it is, rebuilding prefs

that said, if it's 11 and one's experience is like mine, it forgets some of this the majority of launches. Global Tracks in Key Editor (1 of 2 reasons I don't just use 10.5) rarely is correct coming back to a project.

antic604 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:37 am Well, I just had a WTF?! moment with Cubase yesterday evening.
As in, “WTF am I booting up Cubase when I have Studio One?!” :hihi:
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:04 pm
antic604 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:37 am Well, I just had a WTF?! moment with Cubase yesterday evening.
As in, “WTF am I booting up Cubase when I have Studio One?!” :hihi:
In that case, I'm in a constant state of WTF with Bitwig, Cubase, FL, Live, Reason & Studio One :D
Music tech enthusiast

I opened it, added some normal stuff to a project I've been toying with - new tracks, few clips, automation, etc. - and when I was closing it Windows blue screened on me. For 5-10 seconds I had no idea what's going on, because I DON'T REMEMBER SEEING WINDOWS BLUE SCREEN in the last couple of years, so it looked different to what I remembered.

So if that wasn't enough, when I booted back and launched Cubase, it acted as if I only just installed it - all my custom settings, keyboard shortcuts, colour palette, VST paths, etc. were gone! Luckily the templates and projects were still there. So I had to spend 1+ hours setting everything back like I want it... :dog:

just a warning, saw the title, thought it was an intrancer thread :shrug:
make of that, what you will.

^ Same hahahaha

Once I made a track in one DAW. :ud:

Beta testing....

KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

vurt wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:45 pmjust a warning, saw the title, thought it was an intrancer thread :shrug:
make of that, what you will.
Lol. I thought of that when I was writing it :D

I just didn't wanted to make it about Cubase specifically, because I believe it was some freak one-off fluke, but still wanted to write about it.
Music tech enthusiast

And I was just going to create a thread about how you can end up being locked in your cupboard after using the DAW you hate most.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

If you run "perfmon /rel" in Win10 then it opens the Reliability Monitor app and you can click on the last BSOD crash and get more info about it. It usually tells you the Stop Code and you can look that up for more details.

It's likely to be a hardware or driver issue.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:03 am And I was just going to create a thread about how you can end up being locked in your cupboard after using the DAW you hate most.
you should, im sure it's a very common issue.

PeterP_swe wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:36 am If you run "perfmon /rel" in Win10 then it opens the Reliability Monitor app and you can click on the last BSOD crash and get more info about it. It usually tells you the Stop Code and you can look that up for more details.

It's likely to be a hardware or driver issue.
Or get WhoCrashed or similar which'll analyze and tell you the driver / hardware culprit
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”