Arturia Pigments 3 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
3478 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:09 am

ALV and P3 both 12 secs here in standalone (specs in sig).

EDIT - in Cubase 2 secs to load P3 and 3 secs to open the GUI.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2019 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 10.5
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

KVRAF
16439 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:29 am

tactile_coast wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:55 am
P3 15 seconds, ALV 20 seconds on an i5 4690k double that on an i5 6200u both on SSDs. I'm fairly sure it was much less than that back on P2 and AL4.
I just tried on my studio system an i7 8700K but with an HDD and it does appear to be the graphics that are causing the slow load.

In FL Studio it takes 10-12 seconds but FL automatically loads the plugin's GUI when starting the plugin. In Cakewalk the plugin itself loads in about two seconds (can be played, makes sound) but CW doesn't automatically load the GUI to the screen. Clicking to load the GUI then adds the ten seconds.

Still Pigments is the slowest loading plugin I tried today. In FL Studio, Rapid loads in two seconds gui and all. After their first loads subsequent loads of Hive 2 and DUNE 3 are just a second or two. Subsequent loads of Pigments are a bit faster as well but it's still the slowest. I use large sizes for all the plugins. Again I've only owned Pigments 3 so can't say if older versions were faster or slower.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRAF
2168 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:49 am

3 seconds, counting out load, and taking some + margin, so no stopwatch... standalone, in cubase somewhat faster, for example.

on my old desktop it was also not that slow, but slower. yes, now, NVME boot drive, and well...

and patches don't wouldn't play, MPE, stuff, but extreme perhaps, but play again great.

even @Teksonik patch, in overload mode (granular on, on second engine, 256 grains, size does still, with high density kill the cpu, but me thinks it was also on poly 32... o well not important... but will size not that extreme, but still nice, it played, lost them, reinstalled, because, well new stuff in it, and not a lot was installed in the 'trial and error' phase, balancing the cores..).

they can optimize it, Pigments 3, or they optimized the sound quality. still high density with high size for example, and 256 grains, is mostly chaos, and me like that. but mostly not necessary.

still it can kill, a cpu, that is quite up-to-date. it depends also on the soundinterface, my cheapest one, o well second to cheapest (what i have payed for it), performs better, than my most expensive one, but that is an old MOTU, perhaps i made an error. shall check it.
take me as apple as reed-son as flesh-icon, immediately
shits the wise man. hero and blind. take me as
stick as tongue as dog... Music & Soundscraping

KVRAF
2038 posts since 16 May, 2004 from Soviet Union

Post Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:31 am

muki wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:50 am
anybody noticed, that the new version (v3.1.0.1552, dated july2021)
takes a lot longer (ages) than the older ones (about 10 times...) to load ?
I did compare just now 3_0_0_1375 vs 3_1_0_1552, hm no it seems all the same for me. Loading time (about 20 sec first time, next more quickly), and RAM usage. Empty DAW 400mb (Studio One 4) become 900mb, in both P3 cases. But HDD here (no SSD).

KVRAF
4311 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:21 pm

Just found out that Pigments have terrible memory consumption, 500 MB per instance (default preset). So suddenly I ran out of 16 GM RAM in my system and apps started to crash...

Now, don't try to run this on a laptop.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

KVRist
224 posts since 9 Oct, 2020

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:48 am

Anyone with a Ryzen 5950X running polyphonic 256-voice granular able to share any information?

KVRAF
4311 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:54 am

I'm at Ryzen 3900X (88200 Hz) and granular pads already cause CPU to choke, as well. I thought I'm beyond that. Pigments is a real CPU hog :(
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

KVRer
7 posts since 26 May, 2021

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:03 am

DJ Warmonger wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:54 am
I'm at Ryzen 3900X (88200 Hz) and granular pads already cause CPU to chocke, as well. I thought I'm beyond that . Pigments is a real CPU hog :(
Yep, crazy heavy on CPU. I'm on a 64gb RAM i9 MBP too.

KVRAF
2491 posts since 31 Jan, 2003 from Ghent, Belgium

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:41 am

DJ Warmonger wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:21 pm
Now, don't try to run this on a laptop.
If I keep polyphony low enough, it's usable on my i5 2nd gen (8GB) laptop. Sometimes even without ever freezing/rendering. But sure, I could use a PC upgrade. :)

KVRAF

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:50 am

E_Anderson wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:48 am
Anyone with a Ryzen 5950X running polyphonic 256-voice granular able to share any information?
Pigments 3 can even choke a 5950X.... i have a 5900X, and Pigments 3 is mainly a one core plugin..
polyphonic 256 grains is possible + 512 partials, even 16 voices. but density and size of grains; well high density with long size grains, will choke... i don't have any examples now, but i tried to overload Pigments 3, it is easy, but still, you can do a lot... more than on my oldy... it seems not that optimized, also with several instances, not only memory consumption, they seem to get in the way of eachother, again must recheck that.

and with MPE, well, 256 grains.... 2 granular engines.... it can work...

i squeezed 2 days ago, an extra 200Mhz out of my 5900X, that won't do the trick... but it is combination, and high density + high size, well; a high grain count isn't always necessary...

Pigments 3 simply kills every CPU, me thinks. but also Music Developments Syne does that...

EDIT: because Pigments 3 seems to utitlize mainly one core, a zen (1) or 2 gen will not perform that well, single core performance isn't that impressive, or not impressive, not on intel level... zen 3 is on par with intel now, but in 6 years, the single core performance hasn't doubled, as before....
the core race has to with low single core performance, but zen 3 and newer intel's have pushed it, but still not what you would expect.

KVRAF
32950 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:27 am

WasteLand wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:50 am

EDIT: because Pigments 3 seems to utitlize mainly one core, a zen (1) or 2 gen will not perform that well, single core performance isn't that impressive, or not impressive, not on intel level... zen 3 is on par with intel now, but in 6 years, the single core performance hasn't doubled, as before....
the core race has to with low single core performance, but zen 3 and newer intel's have pushed it, but still not what you would expect.
Might be worth seeing if it works better in Analog Lab as Analog Lab is multicore (turn on in settings)

KVRAF

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:33 am

aMUSEd wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:27 am
WasteLand wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:50 am

Might be worth seeing if it works better in Analog Lab as Analog Lab is multicore (turn on in settings)
that is an idea, but multicore, it uses the same soundengine (file...), but perhaps. it is worth a try.

(and o my grammar! the core race was also because of low single core performance.. it was easier to add more cores..... but times can change... don't know the single core performance of a M1 Pro or X, and the new intel's.)

EDIT: some more general remarks, the famous DAWbench, that also considers the efficiency of the drivers (i think mainly it are the drivers, or a combination of used chips, AD/DA conversion always introduces latency, but 1ms or so, in RTL 2ms??? broad lines), well it is most 'scientific', or most reproducable Benchmark. but benchmarks have always there limitations; PRIME for instance, the AVX routines it uses for burn-in, can never be real life...

and in the end a plugin such as Pigments 3, can blow up a complete project, how many cores you have doesn't matter, a RME interface (i have one now, although it is 19 years old, but well, PCI... bridged.. efficient drivers, very low latency, but i can go up 2048 sample buffer size, and play Pigments 3....), all benchmarks, and your beatiful CPU, will.... yes... fill in yourself...

perhaps contact support, i still have one issue that isn't resolved (i think), or perhaps Pigments 3 is a CPU hog, because, well, Voltage Modular, to take an example, because i was testing it for performance for a certain new module, is quite easy on the CPU, i can do some multi-theading, low level, but high level not, audio still is one process, a soft modular, no solution yet for it...
i didn't maxed out anything, but saw high CPU usage, and it sometimes not thát predictable.
my MPE patches are now very easy on the CPU with Voltage Modular. i thought they were the CPU killers..

well that does not add a lot of info....

you yes, forget to mention, that patches i make, are MPE... that adds to 256 grains/512 partials, a lot...

i mean, perhaps it is the design of Pigments 3 that is quite heavy on the CPU, also morphing a wavetable synthesizer, with MPE, modulating 2 or 3 oscillators, well... i can do it now, with a higher voice count. still, it is quite heavy.

polyphony and unison, are always, not always..., CPU killers...
Last edited by WasteLand on Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

KVRAF
32950 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:36 am

tbh Analog Lab multicore is probably likely to work only if you have more than one synth or effect loaded but can't hurt to try.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
8746 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:39 am

Diva has multicore that works. Does also depend on how your DAW works if you host it in one.

KVRAF

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:49 am

aMUSEd wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:36 am
tbh Analog Lab multicore is probably likely to work only if you have more than one synth or effect loaded but can't hurt to try.
yes, indeed. i never install Analog Lab, but now i have also a boot drive, that, well i have a lot of room left, at last, so Analog Lab i can install... maybe it can be easier on the CPU, you never know...

worth a shot, as always.
WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:39 am
Diva has multicore that works. Does also depend on how your DAW works if you host it in one.
there are more multicores out there. so to speak. why Pigments 3, seems not that multi-core, or multi-process, it can be that it calculates like a soft modular, 1 sample at a time, and that costs a lot.

EDIT: multi-core isn't always prefered, Biotek 2 (great synth!!!! granular! FM! MPE! etc. etc.), can do mult-core, but it uses all cores... i don't know if that is really efficient, with other plugins in the same project... so i let it work on one core, which doesn't limit the possibilites, even with MPE. yet...
the best multi-core setting: that you can set the number of cores...

EDIT 2: the Benchmark patch here in this thread, the Teksonik patch, does not work on my laptop at 512 sample buffer, on my desktop, i can outmax that patch, with 256 grains extra, and 16 voice polyphony, but easy on the size of the grains... and didn't not really matter which soundinterface, and i can test, or better could test 5, i lost count, soundinterfaces, and i did (again coincidence that i have so many, or had so many...)...
only difference, the latency of course, at a certain sample buffer size.

Return to “Instruments”