Soothe 2 vs Gullfoss vs DS-EQ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Krakatau wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:20 am
sokoleski wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:00 pm There is also , SKnote's Soundbrigade , from which i get good results , now and then. Exxelent price as well.
It was indeed a very exciting little plugin...too bad that sknote did not upgrade it to apple silicon (yet ?)
Well actually it's getting upgraded for apple silicon, and getting som improvements as well... as we speak. :love:

adl wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:21 am I use Soothe in single Tracks and busses while Gullfoss on the Masterbus.
If you can only afford one I'd say get Soothe, as it can do more, even Sidechaining (slap it on the Melodybus and sidechain that with vocals to make frequency specific room for the vocals to not clash with the melody. You can even apply that only to the mono signal, so reverb or effects which are on the side doesn't get affected that much.
Gullfoss on the other hand can really enhance and optimize a track in a very natural way, wouldn't miss if either. But Soothe is currently on sale, so I'd definitely get that now.

Gullfoss also has a sidechain input

emilrueegg wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:10 pm
adl wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:21 am I use Soothe in single Tracks and busses while Gullfoss on the Masterbus.
If you can only afford one I'd say get Soothe, as it can do more, even Sidechaining (slap it on the Melodybus and sidechain that with vocals to make frequency specific room for the vocals to not clash with the melody. You can even apply that only to the mono signal, so reverb or effects which are on the side doesn't get affected that much.
Gullfoss on the other hand can really enhance and optimize a track in a very natural way, wouldn't miss if either. But Soothe is currently on sale, so I'd definitely get that now.

Gullfoss also has a sidechain input
Yeah, it was implemented with a more recent update. It wasn´t there, when i wrote that.
proud to produce warezless!
my Trap beatz:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4J14A ... -FzS9TNa2w

Eine Alte Oma wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:34 pm DSEQ linear phase eq
V3.5 update implemented a natural phase option which does not produce pre ringing.

sokoleski wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:45 pm
Krakatau wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:20 am
sokoleski wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:00 pm There is also , SKnote's Soundbrigade , from which i get good results , now and then. Exxelent price as well.
It was indeed a very exciting little plugin...too bad that sknote did not upgrade it to apple silicon (yet ?)
Well actually it's getting upgraded for apple silicon, and getting som improvements as well... as we speak. :love:
interesting, ...but where is it specified ?

MogwaiBoy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:44 pm
Aloysius wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:08 pm Forgive me for being a dummy but how do you set it so it only cuts, instead of both cutting and boosting?
--edit-- I see you had ended up going for Soothe which seems very similar, but I'll leave this up for future seekers--

This is literally DSEQs jam-- cut-only and there is one knob for frequency selectivity i.e., how much adjacent bands are affected. Set at its highest, it can literally follow and tame harmonics in a screechy violin solo. Set lower, it becomes more of a gentle NOVA-style multiband compressor and that's before you even touch the side chain eq to reduce or accentuate band-related thresholds.
Then there is a slope function, an "A.I. learn" to automatically optimize you settings, dynamic threshold to keep the fc balance at any volume level, dead easy to use with one knob if you wish, default setting usually gets you 90% there, but flexible enough for laser surgery if necessary.
And it doesn't kill your sound! Very transparent (esp at higher sample rates and FFT blocks, of course). LInear Phase and Natural Phase filters...Also reasonable priced for what it does. If I want that "bouncy" sound that the others have ( which has it's place) I have Fab Pro MB for that.
So obviously, I'm a fan. :love:

@Brookwood

Thank you for this!! I have DSEQ, and this reminded my why :love:

Brookwood wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:17 pm
MogwaiBoy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:44 pm
Aloysius wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:08 pm Forgive me for being a dummy but how do you set it so it only cuts, instead of both cutting and boosting?
--edit-- I see you had ended up going for Soothe which seems very similar, but I'll leave this up for future seekers--

This is literally DSEQs jam-- cut-only and there is one knob for frequency selectivity i.e., how much adjacent bands are affected. Set at its highest, it can literally follow and tame harmonics in a screechy violin solo. Set lower, it becomes more of a gentle NOVA-style multiband compressor and that's before you even touch the side chain eq to reduce or accentuate band-related thresholds.
Then there is a slope function, an "A.I. learn" to automatically optimize you settings, dynamic threshold to keep the fc balance at any volume level, dead easy to use with one knob if you wish, default setting usually gets you 90% there, but flexible enough for laser surgery if necessary.
And it doesn't kill your sound! Very transparent (esp at higher sample rates and FFT blocks, of course). LInear Phase and Natural Phase filters...Also reasonable priced for what it does. If I want that "bouncy" sound that the others have ( which has it's place) I have Fab Pro MB for that.
So obviously, I'm a fan. :love:

soothe2 is great, just for what it is. i use it in mastering, just to 'take the edge off', and it does that, but i don't feel i am losing high end.

taking it to extremes shows what it can do, and i've used it a few times in logic to sort out some poorly-recorded vocals (and it helped).

Return to “Effects”