Songwriting. What does that word mean to you? and how do you do it?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Let me know what you think!

I have no problem using "song" to describe a discrete unit of music that I create, but I do not consider myself a "songwriter" at all.

"Songwriting" to me implies mainstream genres that I only have a casual interest in listening to and no interest in creating. Probably with lyrics, standard Western pop structure, etc. The cliche of someone sitting down with a guitar or piano and a notebook.

Composing is a more general term, but also not really what I do. I am all about improvisation.

(TBH, not really sure what I think of "producer" either. It implies a product, and used to mean some corporate type whose job was to keep the band focused on making a product that they can sell. The more modern meaning is kind of tied up in hip-hop and dance genres.)

Producer means you produced something. All songs put on a market are products,no matter how niche that product may be
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Writting music and lyrics that later will be arranged.

I’m mostly starting with chord progression on piano and than write top line melody, than do as much variations of both until I get sense of arrangement, than make rough sketch and send that out to someone to write lyrics or have someone working with me in room. Most often I already got chorus sorted out by myself and need someone to write verses/bridges based on theme.

If you get annoyed when someone says to you “ohhhh, you make beats?”, then you’re probably a songwriter :hihi:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I used to write poetry. I have a few songs in the strict sense, meaning to me they begin with lyrics. I didn't produce most of it or even set it up, because once I was really conversant with the DAW ways of getting a track together, music in a more absolute sense was far more compelling. I was writing words in lieu of pure music. One of them I turned into something sans voice (which was a spoken thing anyway).

songwriting is a kind of small box to me comparatively; the expectation is it's universal (relatable) to be any good, and definitely formally compact. Which for me aren't the very most interesting restrictions to have to meet. I'm hearing something other than singable melody over chords.

melomood wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:08 pm Producer means you produced something. All songs put on a market are products,no matter how niche that product may be
What if you produced something that is not intended for sale?

We don't call authors producers, we don't call painters producers, we don't call photographers producers, we don't call dancers producers, we don't call cabinetmakers producers, etc.

I just think that naming your work a "product" in advance gives you a certain preconceived notion about it that affects what goes into its creation. It becomes less of an artwork or a labor of love, and more something that is supposed to compete in a "market".

(I don't make music for business reasons, and I give it away for free. Is that still a "market?" If so... I don't care, because I don't think of it that way.)

doesnt matter what people call me, i do what i do anyway :shrug:
i wouldnt call it song writing though, more sonic tapestry.

foosnark wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:30 pm
melomood wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:08 pm Producer means you produced something. All songs put on a market are products,no matter how niche that product may be
What if you produced something that is not intended for sale?

We don't call authors producers, we don't call painters producers, we don't call photographers producers, we don't call dancers producers, we don't call cabinetmakers producers, etc.

I just think that naming your work a "product" in advance gives you a certain preconceived notion about it that affects what goes into its creation. It becomes less of an artwork or a labor of love, and more something that is supposed to compete in a "market".

(I don't make music for business reasons, and I give it away for free. Is that still a "market?" If so... I don't care, because I don't think of it that way.)
It doesn't matter if you didn't put it up for sale. You produced a product which is the result of being produced by an act of production

Don't sweat the navel gazery

The yorkies will guide us through the storm
so persistently they yap

melomood wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:39 pm
the little crappy dogs?

ah yes, you edited.

Help doeth cometh from places most unexpected

melomood wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:41 pm Help doeth cometh from places most unexpected
i dont see a pointless dog helping much in songwriting, but what do i know? im a cat dude.
as in i like not cats, not i am a cat human hybrid or anything cool.

I've lived here for 34 years and the only place they've guided me is to my wallet to pay for their drinks.

Errr..songwriting. I do it, but really have no clue how - string some vaguely related bits together then sing some drivel over the top is usually what happens.

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:04 pm

I've lived here for 34 years and the only place they've guided me is to my wallet to pay for their drinks.

Errr..songwriting. I do it, but really have no clue how - string some vaguely related bits together then sing some drivel over the top is usually what happens.
That's what those old Beatles interviews taught me

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”