Apple announce new 14" & 16" MBP with M1Pro and M1Max

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:30 am I see. So "made up", then. Hardly compelling evidence, is it?
Nope.

I'll take a simple example. Tell me the model of your laptop and I'll tell you the last time it had a CVE for the CPU and how long it took Dell to fix it (if they fixed it at all). I predict it will be at least twice as long as Apple, assuming they fixed it at all.

I split some posts into a thread here. Possibly some others could have been put into that thread too, but I'm going to bed, so that'll have to do. If you want to argue [edit: or discuss without arguing] Mac vs. PC, please go to that thread. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

thank you...

Anyway, a developer found some code in Monterey referring to a "High Power Mode" option specifically for the new 16" when M1 Max equipped. I don't remember ever seeing anything like this in macOS before. No one knows exactly what it's for yet, but the implication is that the 16" might have the more capable cooling system and it'll be an option for those who don't mind cranking up the fans full blast for maximum sustained performance. It'll probably require that chunky 140W gallium nitride MagSafe charger too since USB-C PD maxes out at 100W.

Tronam wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:36 am Anyway, a developer found some code in Monterey referring to a "High Power Mode" option specifically for the new 16" when M1 Max equipped. I don't remember ever seeing anything like this in macOS before. No one knows exactly what it's for yet, but the implication is that the 16" might have the more capable cooling system and it'll be an option for those who don't mind cranking up the fans full blast for maximum sustained performance. It'll probably require that chunky 140W gallium nitride MagSafe charger too since USB-C PD maxes out at 100W.
I guess the high power mode is overclocking the cpu...

Otherwise it would mean that the cpu is normally throttling itself to keep the heat and fan noise down... which would not be a pleasing thing to learn

pdxindy wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:29 am I guess the high power mode is overclocking the cpu...

Otherwise it would mean that the cpu is normally throttling itself to keep the heat and fan noise down... which would not be a pleasing thing to learn
I suspect this mode will only make sense for certain types of users who will be pushing the CPU and GPU simultaneously for long sustained workloads. I doubt music oriented users will ever even hear the fans. It's never spun up even once with my M1 MacBook Pro when only running audio applications.

rezoneight wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:37 pm
4damind wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:25 pm The new Macbooks sound very interesting. I think I'll wait for the next generation of Mac Minis and then possibly switch from PC to Mac. There are already rumors about a M1X. But since I will change only next year or the year after, perhabps there should be a M2 by then :D
I think M1 Pro/Max ARE the M1X ;) Rumor now is that new iMac will be early next year with these chips which would be fantastic. Thats what I'm waiting on.
Yes, possibly that is really the case ;) In any case, these are very interesting systems not only for music but also for video.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:29 am Otherwise it would mean that the cpu is normally throttling itself to keep the heat and fan noise down... which would not be a pleasing thing to learn
this already happens on intel processors: it's what "turbo mode" is all about. those processors are eminently capable of doing 4ghz but the power envelope means that it isn't a practical option for much of the time. intel just rebranded it, presenting it as though they're doing you a favour by making turbo mode appear as an extra. the arm architecture isn't magic: it just happens to be, on average, more power-efficient much of the time but if you want to crank up the clock, they are going to cook themselves.

the finfets in today's processors can switch really fast but they chew up a lot of power doing so, so they are always going to be clock-limited unless you dip them in liquid refrigerant. but processors have been thermally limited for the past 15-20 years so it's not exactly new.

4damind wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:35 am
rezoneight wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:37 pm
4damind wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:25 pm The new Macbooks sound very interesting. I think I'll wait for the next generation of Mac Minis and then possibly switch from PC to Mac. There are already rumors about a M1X. But since I will change only next year or the year after, perhabps there should be a M2 by then :D
I think M1 Pro/Max ARE the M1X ;) Rumor now is that new iMac will be early next year with these chips which would be fantastic. Thats what I'm waiting on.
Yes, possibly that is really the case ;) In any case, these are very interesting systems not only for music but also for video.
Totally. These new systems are beasts. Looking forward to getting something besides my 8GB M1 Mini to replace my i9 iMac.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:29 am I guess the high power mode is overclocking the cpu...

.. it's very common practice with any mobile device CPU and GPU.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

So with apps and vsts that are not yet M1, how well are they running? I guess it varies, but in general would I be worse off than with my i9 MBP?
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:31 pm So with apps and vsts that are not yet M1, how well are they running? I guess it varies, but in general would I be worse off than with my i9 MBP?
According to various reports, you would not be worse off. That is assuming those apps and vst's run fine in Big Sur and then they should be fine in Rosetta.

I just received shipping notice on my 16" MBP M1 Pro. I decided only to install Apple Silicon native apps and plugins. It will be a good house cleaning and 90% of what I actually use is already AS native.

I was checking my apps and most stuff i use is already running natively and a few are very likely to come very soon and have even been hinted by the developers.
I will miss Sound Forge, but i still have a Win 7 laptop to run it and i'm soon going to try out Acon Acoustica, which is M1 native and very inexpensive, as the standard version already seems to do what i need. Magix updates are way too expensive for my likings and SF for Mac is said to run very unstable and sluggish compared to Windows and even misses quite a few features and i'm not even sure if i'm eligible for an update price, since SF for Mac and PC seem to be two completely unrelated products, according to Magix, so full (of it's very expensive) price for something cut down, unreliable and sluggish is a big FU from my side.

I just hope that FXpansion is still keeping the promise of an M1 native version of Geist2, but regarding their current situation i'm not holding my breath.
Hopefully it will run well enough on Rosetta
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Got an email this morning that the 16" MBP I ordered is shipping and will arrive on November 3rd, a few days ahead of my initial Nov 5-10 delivery window. These things are on the way!

Mine was supposed to come around Nov 26th to Dec 3rd when i placed my order.
Haven't got any updates yet though
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”