Waldorf M Wavetable Synthesizer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy thanks a lot ! really helpfull as i can t try the synths before buying .
i was like living in a cave since some years :D and it s crazy all the synths that went out.. behringer get decent sounding analog synth almost at price of a plugin wtf ! and korg Xd is kinda interesting with the "open source "oscillator and fx , crazy day we live in at all points.. still the M for me is the sound that i like the most and i can t cover at all with plugin.. what a sound

kobal wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:37 pm pdxindy thanks a lot ! really helpfull as i can t try the synths before buying .
i was like living in a cave since some years :D and it s crazy all the synths that went out.. behringer get decent sounding analog synth almost at price of a plugin wtf ! and korg Xd is kinda interesting with the "open source "oscillator and fx , crazy day we live in at all points.. still the M for me is the sound that i like the most and i can t cover at all with plugin.. what a sound
I was immediately enthused by the sound demos of the M... since receiving the M, my expectations based on hearing the sound demos have been exceeded.

I have a Waldorf Quantum too. It is an excellent synth in its own way. I spent 45 minutes making a kind of struck sound that morphed a bit on decay. With reverb it sounds pretty good.

I also made a similar sound on the M which took under 10 minutes. Then I compared the M sound and the Quantum sound both dry (no fx). The Q sound is plain by comparison. And every time I play a note, it sounds the same... even though it is a fundamentally pleasing sound, it is unnaturally perfect. So I spend more time to add modulation for variation but it is just not the same as ...

The M sound has all these nuances. And the nuances are dynamic... play a fifth up and the sound has some difference in the nuances. The M is obviously not an acoustic instrument, but it has a similar kind of organic complexity which is just what I look for. Notes are not just carbon copies at a different pitch. That is not the result of any programming on my part. I played that particular preset across 7 octaves and at every octave it sounded fresh and interesting. Down low at C-1, C0, G0... the low end is amazing.

It might not be someone else's favorite. This synth was made for me. :tu:

chk071 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:27 am IMO, all of Waldorf synths have sort of a signature sound though. Not all the same, but, similar. AND, the Largo has all of the wavetables of the original Microwave, and also the option to change the wavetable resolution, so that it's closer to the way the original Waldorf synths resolved the waveforms. It surely will be the closest you can get in software.

If you need exactly that sound, there probably isn't a way around getting the M.
I own an original MicroWave and Largo (along with Nave and PPG 3.V). To my ears, none of the Waldorf wavetable plugins sound anywhere near as good as the MicroWave I. Largo and PPG 3.V both have the option to reduce the bit rate of the their wavetables. IMO, that does very little to improve the overall sound quality or make these plugins sound more like the MicroWave.

The MicroWave I is my favorite synth by far. It's just magic.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

New firmware update is out today for the M...

Fixed a few issues with the multi-mode

also added random init functionality... you can make randomized presets with some control over parameters ranges in settings.
plus 3 new modulators - inverse, coin flip and random (very useful!)

really nice update !
something i m wondering ( i need to check the manual more in details ) is it possible to make full stereo patch ? like by panning one voice left one right , or by using 2 parts ?

kobal wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:04 am really nice update !
something i m wondering ( i need to check the manual more in details ) is it possible to make full stereo patch ? like by panning one voice left one right , or by using 2 parts ?
Yes, you can pan the voices on one part. Actually, using the new inverse modulator or the random modulator gives you two ways of doing it... the inverse modulator would alternate back and forth between two values and random would randomly place each voice somewhere between 100% left and 100% right.

I tried it last night :)

thnaks it s great and that random init preset might be fun

there is a guy who make a sort of similar synth , he share the development stage into a french forum , it s 6 voice with 2 12 bit wav table oscillators with analog filter, it s not the M but it seems very promising for the price , he used that sort of "mod matrix " interface to reduce cost at maximum, it s less than 400e https://soundcloud.com/user-495186412

Found a couple more small issues... the developer is already on it. Waldorf's support is outstanding.

Enjoyed a couple hours this afternoon designing sounds on the M. Listening direct out (no FX) and it's startling how good it sounds! Haven't tried importing any user wavetables yet, but looking forward to seeing how that goes.

Gadget Fiend wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:14 am The MicroWave I is my favorite synth by far. It's just magic.
I agree.

My Waldorf top 5 ( I own them all)
1 MW1 A
2 Quantum
3 M
4 XT
5 Blofeld

I think the M is fantastic. I just put MW1 A at #1, because I prefer the raw sound and the Quantum at #2 because I think it can sound very similar to the M and has many many extras on top of that.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:02 am plus 3 new modulators - inverse, coin flip and random (very useful!)
Random? That's a great addition!
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:25 am
pdxindy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:02 am plus 3 new modulators - inverse, coin flip and random (very useful!)
I've been making good use of it! :tu:

pdxindy wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:39 pm
Is there any way to "lag" or soften the shifts in randomness? Sometimes when using random it can cause sharp clicks.
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:27 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:39 pm
Is there any way to "lag" or soften the shifts in randomness? Sometimes when using random it can cause sharp clicks.
Random mod source in this case is a random value for each note that persists through the life of the note.

The LFO has a random mode. There the shifts are all soft/slow. There is no control (yet) to make them sharp.

christian f. wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:25 am Quantum at #2 because I think it can sound very similar to the M and has many many extras on top of that.
Unfortunately no, Quantum sounds way too clean compared to the M. They're not even close.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”