Looking for this effect

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I know my request may sound a little weird but let's go...
I'm running after a special reverb/delay for years now to put on my voice, I finally found a song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWwow4g ... 0r&index=2 where this special vocal effect is present at 0,29", especially this kind of discrete delay that comes after the reverb...

I have tried to join the singer who just told me it was made with Valhalla, but nothing more….
Could you help me out to find which reverb and delay is used to reach that special effect ?
Thanks in advance for your awesome help.
Dan

Maybe a send with a high-passed, lightly saturated delay? Adjust feedback and delay time to match. Also, it seems that you might want to only have the send active on the last 2 or so words of the line.
A well-behaved signature.

I'm on Logic, do you mean using send function better than insert plugin ?
Thanks

Yes, using a send bus allows you to separately process the delay's output (be sure to use 100% wet on the delay's settings). That's where you'll add the highpass filter and saturation. It also allows you to automate the send amount, so you only get delay on the last 2 words of the line (if that turns out to be what you want). (Instead of automating the send amount, you could also use multiple tracks with the last 2 words on the track with this delay send. Multiple ways to do this.)

I'm approaching, but still the delay attack is too much present and I can't do better..

I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:58 pm <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://youtu.be/K1ypjVcoXCA</span>
Nice one.

Still looking for though

It shows the difference between insert and send effects, which it seems you was struggling to understand also. The delay just sounds sidechained to the main vocal to me 🤷‍♂️

ramseysounds wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:55 pm It shows the difference between insert and send effects, which it seems you was struggling to understand also. The delay just sounds sidechained to the main vocal to me 🤷‍♂️
Yes it speaks to me..Do you mean side chain like a compressor and a voice that triggers it ?

Yup

Doing it with ducking (or sidechaining as is the vogue to call it these days) is one technique, but probably better for parts where it's more of a constant effect.

Easier way to do 'spot' effects like this is to duplicate the vocal track (after compression etc if you like) and run it at 100% wet through the desired effect(s) on another mixer channel - then mute the parts of the track you don't want.

Like so;
spotfx.jpg
Top track is the main vocal and the others are various delays/harmonizers/other stuff I didn't label... :hihi:

If you do it this way it's easier if you've got a lot of little effects flying in as 'fairy dust'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Danythedog wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:34 pm I'm approaching, but still the delay attack is too much present and I can't do better..
Not 100% sure what you mean by the "delay attack"... You could try placing a gate with a somewhat slow attack time before the delay on your send track. Does that help?

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:25 pm Doing it with ducking (or sidechaining as is the vogue to call it these days) is one technique, but probably better for parts where it's more of a constant effect.

Easier way to do 'spot' effects like this is to duplicate the vocal track (after compression etc if you like) and run it at 100% wet through the desired effect(s) on another mixer channel - then mute the parts of the track you don't want.

Like so;

spotfx.jpg

Top track is the main vocal and the others are various delays/harmonizers/other stuff I didn't label... :hihi:

If you do it this way it's easier if you've got a lot of little effects flying in as 'fairy dust'
Very Interesting, but the effect I'm looking for is for live session.

Thanks

sounds to me like a regular delay (with an hipass) mixed with an independent reverb...

but:
maybe try a convolution ?
i just had a look at audioThing's FogConvolver which in its very first "aluminium foil" factory presets
has quite something similar (soft attack, washed out feeling...)...

concolution not only does reverb but also quite a lot other effects like delay for example
but sometimes in a quite special way...

https://www.audiothing.net/effects/fog-convolver/

muki wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:25 am sounds to me like a regular delay (with an hipass) mixed with an independent reverb...

but:
maybe try a convolution ?
i just had a look at audioThing's FogConvolver which in its very first "aluminium foil" factory presets
has quite something similar (soft attack, washed out feeling...)...

concolution not only does reverb but also quite a lot other effects like delay for example
but sometimes in a quite special way...

https://www.audiothing.net/effects/fog-convolver/
It's a good idea but not exactly what I'm looking for. It seems that I have to search towards early and late reflections, but not easy to come close...

Return to “Effects”