Spectrasonics build up to Sonic Extensions....

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark and Light Omnisphere 2 Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

Is there any of those expansions usefull for techno production?

Tendou wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:36 pm Is there any of those expansions usefull for techno production?
Seismic shock has a little, at the extreme end of things. I guess there's a few user videos out there now, have a listen and see if it floats your boat.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

thx!

Tendou wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:36 pm Is there any of those expansions usefull for techno production?
From what I see, no, I can't see them making a dedicated Techno extension tbh.

There's more in the core program tbh.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

LeVzi wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:08 am

mhh and what about undercurrent? Maybe some nice drone sounds to use in techno? I watched on youtube and some sounds are okayish aber noone tried to tweak it to my genre. Good drone hits are hard to find tho

Tendou wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:24 am

mhh and what about undercurrent? Maybe some nice drone sounds to use in techno? I watched on youtube and some sounds are okayish aber noone tried to tweak it to my genre. Good drone hits are hard to find tho
You could make really good ones with Omnisphere, as you could with most VST's tbh .

Undercurrent i'd say was more soundscapes and atmospherics, which would be nice in melodic techno I guess. Not my preference for techno though , I prefer the harder darker stuff.

But yeah you could do, but I was messing about with the core program and tbh that thing is so nice to program its got endless possibilities alone.

LeVzi wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:34 am
Tendou wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:24 am

You could make really good ones with Omnisphere, as you could with most VST's tbh .

Undercurrent i'd say was more soundscapes and atmospherics, which would be nice in melodic techno I guess. Not my preference for techno though , I prefer the harder darker stuff.

But yeah you could do, but I was messing about with the core program and tbh that thing is so nice to program its got endless possibilities alone.
awesome, ty!

vurt wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:33 pm you don't "need" them.
omni is not designed or aimed at the hobbyist market. its for sound designers on deadlines for tv and film stuff. that's spectrasonics market, always has been.
I love Spectrasonics. Just wanted to be clear about that upfront.

Vurt is spot-on. Hobbyists are not the Spectrasonics demographic.

This is the first time I've been on the fence about a new release. Of the new line, only Unclean Machine fits my tastes. That $149 price point, though, is one-third too high. :( That said, hey, a free update to O2 is great and much appreciated.

I can hold off one month and get something else I've hesitated on at the $99 price point during the Black Friday run.

And I'll add my addled tiny voice to the call for an RMX update/revamp.

None of what I've written matters at all, but the more I looked at the $149 price, the more I thought, "No, not this time", and that's a first for me wrt Spectrasonics.
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

gnu23 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:24 pm None of what I've written matters at all, but the more I looked at the $149 price, the more I thought, "No, not this time", and that's a first for me wrt Spectrasonics.
Yeah, same here. I honestly don't have a problem with the price tag and, based on the videos I've seen, they sound pretty impressive. I think the problem for me is that I've never really relied on Omni's presets. Not that I have a problem with presets, just that there is so much to explore in Omni's raw factory soundsources that I've never really taken the time to even listen to anything but a small fraction of the factory presets, aside from the Atmosphere and Trilian instruments, which I also owned prior to buying Omni v1 (bought it the day it was released). It's sorta like having an entire galaxy to gaze at and having somebody offer you a few more stars for $149 each. It's sorta ironic because I believe they used to have a slogan for Omni that was something like "it would take you a lifetime to explore"??? So, the expansions take, what? Four more lifetimes to explore? Are we cats now? :hihi: But, seriously, I still won't be surprised if/when I ultimately end up buying one or more of them anyway, because... it's Omnisphere. :dog: :lol:

That said, I wish there was an option to just buy all eight of the new effects for, like, $99. That would be more tempting to me than any of the individual expansions.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

cryophonik wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:11 pm
gnu23 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:24 pm None of what I've written matters at all, but the more I looked at the $149 price, the more I thought, "No, not this time", and that's a first for me wrt Spectrasonics.
Yeah, same here. I honestly don't have a problem with the price tag and, based on the videos I've seen, they sound pretty impressive. I think the problem for me is that I've never really relied on Omni's presets. Not that I have a problem with presets, just that there is so much to explore in Omni's raw factory soundsources that I've never really taken the time to even listen to anything but a small fraction of the factory presets, aside from the Atmosphere and Trilian instruments, which I also owned prior to buying Omni v1 (bought it the day it was released). It's sorta like having an entire galaxy to gaze at and having somebody offer you a few more stars for $149 each. It's sorta ironic because I believe they used to have a slogan for Omni that was something like "it would take you a lifetime to explore"??? So, the expansions take, what? Four more lifetimes to explore? Are we cats now? :hihi: But, seriously, I still won't be surprised if/when I ultimately end up buying one or more of them anyway, because... it's Omnisphere. :dog: :lol:

That said, I wish there was an option to just buy all eight of the new effects for, like, $99. That would be more tempting to me than any of the individual expansions.
Yeah, I'd go for the new effects for *mumble* dollars..

It occurs to me that all I accomplished was posting my Righteous Indignation(tm) on a tiny sign located deep in a Louisiana swamp right next to another tiny sign that says, "It was all good until the Alligators showed up.."

Either that, or it's Monday.
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:45 pm
Caine123 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:34 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:31 pm
Arashi wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:37 pm All four expansions sound really good, but they want too much money for them. I loved Eric’s BS spiel about their “great discount system that’s available all year round”. It really amounts to “no sales, ever, and you can either buy all four expansions at once or get bent over a barrel”. What a great discount system! An actually great discount system would let you progressively save money by buying additional expansions no matter when you buy them. This system is like “unless you’re rich enough to buy them all at once, screw you!” Gee, thanks! Really makes you feel like they appreciate the $500 you already spent just to get Omnisphere in the first place.

To paraphrase Dr. Phil, don’t put a dog turd in a bun and tell me it’s a hot dog.
Exactly. That's why I have written to their sales support asking for "retrospective discount" so that we can buy them in separate orders as budget permits and still get the discount. Not that they will accept, but just thought to give a try.

Might be worth it if a few of us could write such emails. That's the least thing possible with their discount system which is otherwise still expensive owing to "high" price of individual SEs.
yeah i wanted to write them as well, and will do. did you get a reply?
I wrote them today, so will hopefully get a reply on Monday. Will post what they say. Can hold off until then if you want. :)
So, they got back to me on this.

They said the suggestion for "retrospective discount" (discount when you buy SEs in different orders) suggestion will be passed to the concerned team. Hopefully they will think on this.

Regarding price, they gave the same justification as was given in the Q&A live stream video. Of course, was not expecting anything to change here.

gnu23 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:24 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:33 pm you don't "need" them.
omni is not designed or aimed at the hobbyist market. its for sound designers on deadlines for tv and film stuff. that's spectrasonics market, always has been.
I love Spectrasonics. Just wanted to be clear about that upfront.

Vurt is spot-on. Hobbyists are not the Spectrasonics demographic.
I agree with both of you - we don't "need" them. However, these days hobbyist are buying plugins than never before and if you already have Omnisphere you know it is aimed at you, not necessarily but because they are meant for Omnisphere. If we ignore the $149 price, the only thing they could probably do is to consider the discount if buying in separate orders. I thought why not try and suggest them. I did and now moving on...

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:18 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:45 pm
Caine123 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:34 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:31 pm
Arashi wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:37 pm All four expansions sound really good, but they want too much money for them. I loved Eric’s BS spiel about their “great discount system that’s available all year round”. It really amounts to “no sales, ever, and you can either buy all four expansions at once or get bent over a barrel”. What a great discount system! An actually great discount system would let you progressively save money by buying additional expansions no matter when you buy them. This system is like “unless you’re rich enough to buy them all at once, screw you!” Gee, thanks! Really makes you feel like they appreciate the $500 you already spent just to get Omnisphere in the first place.

To paraphrase Dr. Phil, don’t put a dog turd in a bun and tell me it’s a hot dog.
Exactly. That's why I have written to their sales support asking for "retrospective discount" so that we can buy them in separate orders as budget permits and still get the discount. Not that they will accept, but just thought to give a try.

Might be worth it if a few of us could write such emails. That's the least thing possible with their discount system which is otherwise still expensive owing to "high" price of individual SEs.
yeah i wanted to write them as well, and will do. did you get a reply?
I wrote them today, so will hopefully get a reply on Monday. Will post what they say. Can hold off until then if you want. :)
So, they got back to me on this.

They said the suggestion for "retrospective discount" (discount when you buy SEs in different orders) suggestion will be passed to the concerned team. Hopefully they will think on this.

Regarding price, they gave the same justification as was given in the Q&A live stream video. Of course, was not expecting anything to change here.
I can't see you get any joy with that. Im quite shocked and disappointed with the attitude of that guy who made the speech. No Sales ever, and only discounts when you buy more than one. That's just pure BS and greed.

But all I keep hearing is Omnisphere 2 is only for pro's not hobbyists, so the mere normal person shouldn't be in the price range of these exclusive extensions. :lol: :lol:

Price isn't as important to me as value as I get older. I've had total value out of Omni (and Atmosphere before it), Trilian and Bob Moog, and I should have jumped on Keyscape a few years before I did. This stuff has been the core of my virtual instrument world for 15yrs and it still makes me smile, and I think its easy sometimes to forget to value that beyond the bottom line. I'll probably be getting these they'll be relevant to me for many years yet, even though I'll flinch at the price on purchase day. (My major reason for hesitation now is that my 2013 256GB iMac SSD is full with the three core instruments and my STEAM folder won't take any more. So these expansions will arrive once iMacs go M1pro/M1max... again, that computer has given me value for 10yrs, way beyond its price tag).

I will say though that they've missed a trick by only releasing these to existing Omni owners. Had they made a stand-alone Omni player to run these they would have had many more potential customers, in the same way that plenty of folks own a Kontakt player library without the full version of Kontakt. Opens up an upgrade pathway.

And, thinking about it, existing Omnisphere owners might be the hardest to please - they're used to getting big library and sound source updates for free and this might represent a change in Spectrasonics generosity, to a business mode where the library expansions aren't gratis anymore.
Last edited by danbroad on Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

LeVzi wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:46 am
But all I keep hearing is Omnisphere 2 is only for pro's not hobbyists, so the mere normal person shouldn't be in the price range of these exclusive extensions. :lol: :lol:
Haha. Pro bros

Return to “Instruments”