Arturia Pigments 3 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
4686 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:14 pm

I run pigments on an i7k. optimized for ultimate processing. the clicks and stutters come from modulations (mostly lfo), not oscillators.

KVRist
223 posts since 9 Oct, 2020

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:11 am

I’m ordering a 5950X (and an entire new computer’s worth of parts) today so I’ll post if I’m able to reach the legendary status of underrun/crackle-free max-duration max-rate polyphonic granular.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/63Br3Z

User avatar
KVRAF
8686 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:05 am

And I just bought a second hand 2012 Mac Mini so I… won’t even attempt it

KVRian
567 posts since 23 Dec, 2011

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:29 am

zzz00m wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:38 am
Teksonik wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:15 pm
Yes I'm running 3.1.0.1552 as well just on Win 10. I just timed it again and 26 seconds for the first instance and 15 for the second. Doesn't sound like that long but when you're sitting there staring at the screen it seems a lot longer. :lol:

Pigments is the only Arturia synth I own so I wonder if they're all that slow?

Ooops I lied I've got Analog Lab 4 and V and both of them took about 45 seconds to load. :o
Pigments 3 and Analog Lab V both take about 10 secs to load here. So they are the slow ones.

My other V Collection 8 synths take about 5 secs each to load.
Same here. Initial load .. 10 seconds for Pigments 3. Other Arturia VC 8 about 5 seconds. Moving between patches / groups once I have an instance opened - is instant. ...and no noticable CPU hit for me. This on an old Macbook Pro Early 2013 i5 with 8 GB RAM. Are there specific patches that are causing folks grief?

KVRAF
2677 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:25 am

jdoo wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:29 am
Are there specific patches that are causing folks grief?
Yes. Teksonik created and posted a test patch for Pigments earlier in this thread (p.43) that will make your system hit the wall.

Maxing out the partials and voices as I recall. Not all patches do this of course, as it was a demonstration only.

Per Arturia:
Watch your partials. Polyphonic patches using more than 128 Partials may overload your CPU. If that's the case, limit your Partials to 128 or less. You can still have high-frequency content by setting a higher Ratio or applying FM.
Windows10; plugins from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample, Arturia, Cakewalk, Cherry, DiscoDSP, Fathom, IKM, Initial, iZotope, KV331, NI, PluginGuru, PreSonus, Surge, TAL, Tone2, Toontrack, Tracktion, u-he, UJAM, UVI, Vital, Waves, XLN ...

KVRian
567 posts since 23 Dec, 2011

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:02 pm

I recall downloading / trying Teksonik's cpu killer patch. IIRC -- it *did* peg my cpu. That said though... None of the few dozen patches I used in Pigments 3 are pushing my cpu over the top. It may be, that I am bot using a lot of partials & voices? In any case.. glad they're aware, and hopefully correcting the problem. In the meantime.. Im using Pigment 3 without issue (for my use). All good.

Happy Sunday...

KVRist
52 posts since 21 May, 2015

Post Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:02 am

briefcasemanx wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:52 am
I'll buy pigments 3 if the oscillators in the VA section, especially the pulse wave, don't sound like complete garbage. Modulating the pwm on pigments sounds like freeware from 2005. Love the layout tho.
Yeah, what's up with PWM? I'm trying Pigments out for the first time and I'm taken aback by how nice everything else sounds in comparison to PWM. Was programming some Juno 60-style PWM keys, and there's some kind of weird "squawk" at the beginning of every note (especially when using an envelope to modulate the pulse width).

Just to make sure I wasn't hearing things, I pulled up Alchemy, TAL's U-No-LX, and Logic's Retro Synth, and they all sound fine.

A little confused.

KVRian
898 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:30 am

Bandaide wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:02 am
briefcasemanx wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:52 am
I'll buy pigments 3 if the oscillators in the VA section, especially the pulse wave, don't sound like complete garbage. Modulating the pwm on pigments sounds like freeware from 2005. Love the layout tho.


Yeah, what's up with PWM? I'm trying Pigments out for the first time and I'm taken aback by how nice everything else sounds in comparison to PWM. Was programming some Juno 60-style PWM keys, and there's some kind of weird "squawk" at the beginning of every note (especially when using an envelope to modulate the pulse width).

Just to make sure I wasn't hearing things, I pulled up Alchemy, TAL's U-No-LX, and Logic's Retro Synth, and they all sound fine.

A little confused.
The PWM oscillator sound is baffling. The most vanilla sounding softsynths have much nicer PWM oscillator sound. So weird since with Arturia usually their oscillators sound good and it's the filters that sound a bit bland.

KVRAF
1887 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:33 pm

E_Anderson wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:11 am
I’m ordering a 5950X (and an entire new computer’s worth of parts) today so I’ll post if I’m able to reach the legendary status of underrun/crackle-free max-duration max-rate polyphonic granular.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/63Br3Z
Will be interested to hear how this goes, have been wondering about upgrading mine to this platform as well. (Wasn’t planning on 128GB of RAM though, blimey! But it makes sense in terms of memory/core if you’re doing something heavy on there.)

KVRist
324 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:05 am

briefcasemanx wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:30 am
Bandaide wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:02 am
briefcasemanx wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:52 am
I'll buy pigments 3 if the oscillators in the VA section, especially the pulse wave, don't sound like complete garbage. Modulating the pwm on pigments sounds like freeware from 2005. Love the layout tho.


Yeah, what's up with PWM? I'm trying Pigments out for the first time and I'm taken aback by how nice everything else sounds in comparison to PWM. Was programming some Juno 60-style PWM keys, and there's some kind of weird "squawk" at the beginning of every note (especially when using an envelope to modulate the pulse width).

Just to make sure I wasn't hearing things, I pulled up Alchemy, TAL's U-No-LX, and Logic's Retro Synth, and they all sound fine.

A little confused.
The PWM oscillator sound is baffling. The most vanilla sounding softsynths have much nicer PWM oscillator sound. So weird since with Arturia usually their oscillators sound good and it's the filters that sound a bit bland.
there is always something broken with arturia no? this time it s pwm, next plug it s something esle, that make me think when you buy their hardware you better cross your finger

KVRist
223 posts since 9 Oct, 2020

Post Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:22 am

imrae wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:33 pm
E_Anderson wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:11 am
I’m ordering a 5950X (and an entire new computer’s worth of parts) today so I’ll post if I’m able to reach the legendary status of underrun/crackle-free max-duration max-rate polyphonic granular.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/63Br3Z
Will be interested to hear how this goes, have been wondering about upgrading mine to this platform as well. (Wasn’t planning on 128GB of RAM though, blimey! But it makes sense in terms of memory/core if you’re doing something heavy on there.)
Definitely, I’ll try to remember. Unfortunately the build is delayed as the RAM seller is taking a month to even begin to ship it, so I bought other RAM and am trying to cancel the previous order. Probably by next weekend, we’ll be in business! Can’t wait, as my current computer can’t come close to handling the kontakt- and generally-ram-heavy orchestral music I’ve been trying to write.

KVRian
898 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:43 am

kobal wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:05 am
briefcasemanx wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:30 am
Bandaide wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:02 am
briefcasemanx wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:52 am
I'll buy pigments 3 if the oscillators in the VA section, especially the pulse wave, don't sound like complete garbage. Modulating the pwm on pigments sounds like freeware from 2005. Love the layout tho.


Yeah, what's up with PWM? I'm trying Pigments out for the first time and I'm taken aback by how nice everything else sounds in comparison to PWM. Was programming some Juno 60-style PWM keys, and there's some kind of weird "squawk" at the beginning of every note (especially when using an envelope to modulate the pulse width).

Just to make sure I wasn't hearing things, I pulled up Alchemy, TAL's U-No-LX, and Logic's Retro Synth, and they all sound fine.

A little confused.
The PWM oscillator sound is baffling. The most vanilla sounding softsynths have much nicer PWM oscillator sound. So weird since with Arturia usually their oscillators sound good and it's the filters that sound a bit bland.
there is always something broken with arturia no? this time it s pwm, next plug it s something esle, that make me think when you buy their hardware you better cross your finger
No.

KVRist
324 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:16 am

briefcasemanx wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:43 am
kobal wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:05 am
briefcasemanx wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:30 am
Bandaide wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:02 am
briefcasemanx wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:52 am
I'll buy pigments 3 if the oscillators in the VA section, especially the pulse wave, don't sound like complete garbage. Modulating the pwm on pigments sounds like freeware from 2005. Love the layout tho.


Yeah, what's up with PWM? I'm trying Pigments out for the first time and I'm taken aback by how nice everything else sounds in comparison to PWM. Was programming some Juno 60-style PWM keys, and there's some kind of weird "squawk" at the beginning of every note (especially when using an envelope to modulate the pulse width).

Just to make sure I wasn't hearing things, I pulled up Alchemy, TAL's U-No-LX, and Logic's Retro Synth, and they all sound fine.

A little confused.
The PWM oscillator sound is baffling. The most vanilla sounding softsynths have much nicer PWM oscillator sound. So weird since with Arturia usually their oscillators sound good and it's the filters that sound a bit bland.
there is always something broken with arturia no? this time it s pwm, next plug it s something esle, that make me think when you buy their hardware you better cross your finger
No.
then look at their forum or better you don t and still think everyhting fine :)

User avatar
KVRian
540 posts since 9 Apr, 2005 from Japan

Post Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:31 pm

kobal wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:16 am
then look at their forum or better you don t and still think everyhting fine :)
Who cares about the forum. They should just close it down. No one uses it anyway.
Stormchild

User avatar
KVRAF
8686 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:52 pm

Arashi wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:31 pm
kobal wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:16 am
then look at their forum or better you don t and still think everyhting fine :)
Who cares about the forum. They should just close it down. No one uses it anyway.
I’m not using his lungs so I don’t see the point of breathing

Return to “Instruments”