Cubase 12 released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:39 am
fese wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:28 am Cubase was running really stable here for a long time with 10 and 10.5, but since a few weeks it has become a major crash fest, once or twice a day if I use it. Sometimes it is a plugin, but never the same one, always different ones, and sometimes just for the heck of it.
Really weird, if I had problems before it was mostly due to one buggy plugin, but not now. Maybe a windows update, dunno.
Rather annoying.
Maybe try to raise the buffer size a little bit? Sometimes people are running at extra low latencies without realling needing it, and that leds ot mor unstable behavior. Over here, I always run at 256 samples. It's low enough, IMO.
I have an RME, so I expect the driver to be unproblematic, but it might be worth a try, I usually lower the buffer size to 128 for recording but just noticed that I forgot forgot to set it back to 256, which is what I use for mixing. (don’t know whether that correlates to the start of the crashing though)

fmr wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:02 am
pixel85 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:53 am Now everybody wants them to add Dolby Atmos 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don't expect any major features/changes. Something on a level of RX9. Compatibility with M1 probably on a level of Rosetta only.

I wish they would work on fixes but looking at their last two updates it looks like stability is only becoming worst and worst.
I don't know what kind of things you are doing with Cubase. I've been working extensively with it, doing recordings, working with VIs, lots of plug-ins, etc, and I don't remeber having a crash. Basically all plug-ins work too. Of course, I'm working in Windows 10, with a computer that has enough muscle to handle all of it. :shrug:
Oh, classic "it works for me so it means that it's impossible that others have issues except if they use potato computers". :shrug:

Fun fact that is probably beyond your comprehension: everything is fine on Cubase 11.0.3 and 11.0.4 is crashing all the time. Surely it's because 0.4 require computers from NASA and 0.3 doesn't

T-CM11 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:55 am
fmr wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:02 am
pixel85 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:53 am Now everybody wants them to add Dolby Atmos 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don't expect any major features/changes. Something on a level of RX9. Compatibility with M1 probably on a level of Rosetta only.

I wish they would work on fixes but looking at their last two updates it looks like stability is only becoming worst and worst.
I don't know what kind of things you are doing with Cubase. I've been working extensively with it, doing recordings, working with VIs, lots of plug-ins, etc, and I don't remeber having a crash. Basically all plug-ins work too. Of course, I'm working in Windows 10, with a computer that has enough muscle to handle all of it. :shrug:
Cubase crashed a lot here (win10)... until I got rid of the MOTU Ultralite (&drivers). Now RME Fireface UC, very stable, no crashes at all.
I had to revert to 11.0.3. No more crashes

I genuinely wonder how many users Cubase has lost to S1, Reaper and other DAWs. It has to be significant I’d imagine. I know a lot of people have left PT for Reaper.

hoxclab wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:35 pm I genuinely wonder how many users Cubase has lost to S1, Reaper and other DAWs. It has to be significant I’d imagine. I know a lot of people have left PT for Reaper.
PT is losing customers to ANYONE, but that's not mainly because of the product, rather the company's price policies, IMO. I don't think Cubase is facing anything close to that. As a matter of fact, I'd risk to say that Cubase is keeping, if not reinforcing, it's leadership position.
Fernando (FMR)

hoxclab wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:35 pm I genuinely wonder how many users Cubase has lost to S1, Reaper and other DAWs. It has to be significant I’d imagine. I know a lot of people have left PT for Reaper.
I think that over the last 10-15 years the market of DAW users grew much faster than the number of available DAWs with all the hobbyists and bedroom producer, not to mention they became affordable and most people have - and use - more than one.

They're fine, I think.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

My experience has been .2, .3, & .4 hang during Export Audio. A render of a two-file, anything. It starts at once after installing. And so I uninstall and reinstantiate .0 and the project I was rendering renders nicely, and pretty fast.
(.1 I don't recall for certain if it did this one, but it was crashing a lot (more than .0))
I wasn't on .4 long enough to know if it crashes a lot. I updated to it because I'd updated the OS to Big Sur, in case it was necessary.

*all* of the stability problems I have experienced presented exactly the same symptoms whether it was my Quantum 2626 or the onboard MBP drivers

I actually think S1 gained most from eating at SONAR's user base, particularly on Windows. Beyond that, PreSonus had a better policy for onboarding users with cheap hardware bundling Studio One Artist. This also allowed them to move users over in the "cheap DAW" tier of the market (MAGIX, etc.).

Steinberg doesn't have a ton to offer in that market segment, and their bundling isn't nearly as good (the hardware is better, but PreSonus is selling to a lot of upstarts who are less discriminating).

Studio One has only become mildly comparable to Cubase with version 5. It's still not comparable in the niches where Cubase is predominant.

I think S1 had been leeching off SONAR for years before Gibson pulled the plug.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

fese wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:28 am Cubase was running really stable here for a long time with 10 and 10.5, but since a few weeks it has become a major crash fest, once or twice a day if I use it. Sometimes it is a plugin, but never the same one, always different ones, and sometimes just for the heck of it.
Really weird, if I had problems before it was mostly due to one buggy plugin, but not now. Maybe a windows update, dunno.
Rather annoying.
Graphics drivers also a reason for causing crashes. One main one for me has been that if I close a project and go to File > Open, this causes Cubase 10.5.40 to crash. It's rare that Cubase has crashed mid session, but I've had it simply shut down and no crashdump file generated. This has been on an AMD X570 system with a 5950X. It's why I'd wish for any software to have a decent reporting tool which is easy to follow, telling me exactly why it crashed, this plugin caused the issue bla bla bla, not a case of looking and looking for the problem, wasting valuable time.

I like how Ableton did with reporting crashes! Just email them the log file and tell them what happened! No need to open a ticket or contact support ..etc!
Bitwig doesn't crash! So, I don't know how to report crashes! :hihi:

most of my crashes with 11 created no crash dump. Some of it, even the majority of crashes, may be pinned to having 'graphics switching' enabled here, but it's still crashing far too frequently. There may be pitfalls for the recent Mac OS platform they have no grip of. Big Sur is not worse, it may prove to be more stable in the long view.

ElgrandeCastagneto wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:53 pm I found this : https://kit.co/MichaelMaas/music-produc ... cubase-pro
You'd have more luck mailing Hans or Ian and asking them what's in 11.5, because they're probably also using it or at least had presentation from Greg.
Music tech enthusiast

Who is Hans or Ian ?

Thanks for your reply very helpfull.

ElgrandeCastagneto wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:03 pm Who is Hans or Ian ?

Thanks for your reply very helpfull.
Hans Zimmer, the movie composer and probably the most known Cubase ambassador.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=junPw10YYBY

Ian Kirkpatrick, a pop music producer recently most know for Dua Lipa's music - he has great YT channel where he writes music or dissects his project (in Cubase, obviously):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCgvl_ ... iaw/videos
Last edited by antic604 on Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”