Spectrasonics build up to Sonic Extensions....

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark and Light Omnisphere 2 Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

Probably pointless me saying anything, but very happy here.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:20 pm No one would admit it even if they did.
Yeah, because NOBODY on KVR has EVER expressed any regret or complained about a product they own EVER. :roll:

:hihi:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

So, probably no Omnisphere 3 in a while, then. It would be a dream come true if they allowed multisampling for 3rd party sound designers. Think of all the cool packs that could be done. But now it seems they want to reserve that ability to themselves and sell pricey soundbanks without need to worry about competition.

I wish more sound designers would make multisampled content to Falcon 2.5 instead.

Lati wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:42 pm So, probably no Omnisphere 3 in a while, then. It would be a dream come true if they allowed multisampling for 3rd party sound designers. Think of all the cool packs that could be done. But now it seems they want to reserve that ability to themselves and sell pricey soundbanks without need to worry about competition.
Yeah, I'd like this too. Omni is a fantastic host for stuff. Even if it's not as good as Kontakt for pure sample libraries, it's no slouch and what can be done with it is brilliant.

I'd love to see them team up with someone like ProjectSAM in the same way NI teams up with developers like Orchestral Tools. Really great orchestral content would be fabulous. But not for Another String Library - who needs that - more stuff that can be taken into different directions. Companies are doing this quite a bit now, but I'd much prefer it in Omnisphere than Kontakt.

Incidentally, I wonder if we've seen the end of libraries like Trilian and Keyscape. Even they must get fed up with having products 23 years in development - release more focused collections as Extensions instead.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

cryophonik wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:41 pm
Yeah, because NOBODY on KVR has EVER expressed any regret or complained about a product they own EVER. :roll:

Specifically Spectrasonics users ? I'm yet to see one do it. Pride n all that jazz. :lol:
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Lati wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:42 pm So, probably no Omnisphere 3 in a while, then. It would be a dream come true if they allowed multisampling for 3rd party sound designers. Think of all the cool packs that could be done. But now it seems they want to reserve that ability to themselves and sell pricey soundbanks without need to worry about competition.

I wish more sound designers would make multisampled content to Falcon 2.5 instead.
I'm working on something. :D

LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:49 pmSpecifically Spectrasonics users ? I'm yet to see one do it. Pride n all that jazz. :lol:
*slightly weary sigh*

Plenty of Omnisphere copies sold on KVR, and quite a few people in this thread said they didn't get on with it IIRC.

Guide for life - liking stuff isn't necessarily the same thing as denial.

(I know this wasn't necessarily about me, but) I sometimes get the fanboy taunt, which is odd cos I criticise a fair bit about specifics. On these expansions, Nylon Sky is a bit disappointing from a pure sampled guitar perspective, and Unclean Machine pushes the hissy / wobbly gimmicks a bit much for me (neither criticism bothers me too much though, even on Nylon Sky - when into the realms of design rather than straight sample playback it's a dream). I think they should allow for discounts based on past purchases. A lot of the tagging still makes no sense. Etc.

But there again nuance has never been KVR's strong suit - understanding that people can like things and be enthusiastic about them, while simultaneously feeling there could be improvements is a bit of a tricky concept I guess.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:30 pm
LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:49 pmSpecifically Spectrasonics users ? I'm yet to see one do it. Pride n all that jazz. :lol:
*slightly weary sigh*

Plenty of Omnisphere copies sold on KVR, and quite a few people in this thread said they didn't get on with it IIRC.

(I know this wasn't necessarily about me, but) I sometimes get the fanboy taunt, which is odd cos I criticise a fair bit about specifics. On these expansions, Nylon Sky is a bit disappointing from a pure sampled guitar perspective, and Unclean Machine pushes the hissy / wobbly gimmicks a bit much for me (neither criticism bothers me too much though, even on Nylon Sky - when into the realms of design rather than straight sample playback it's a dream). I think they should allow for discounts based on past purchases. A lot of the tagging still makes no sense. Etc.

But there again nuance has never been KVR's strong suit - understanding that people can like things and be enthusiastic about them, while simultaneously feeling there could be improvements is a bit of a tricky concept I guess.
I am not talking so much about here, because there really isn't that much discussion on Spectrasonics stuff tbh, compared to other synths.

But I joined a few groups on facebook for Omnisphere, and it was just pure blatant fanboism and anyone dare speak against these extensions was mauled (as much as you can be on FB)

As I said before I am new to the whole OS stuff, and loving the core program to bits tbh, i've barely scratched the surface. But 149$ for an expansion is a no go.

LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:49 pm
cryophonik wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:41 pm

Specifically Spectrasonics users ? I'm yet to see one do it. Pride n all that jazz. :lol:
I shall say this only once (Alo Alo):

I really really like Unclean Machine (they could have called it "pecker", lost op here), Undercurrent not so much.

Not at all, really. I like maybe 5 presets from it which really rock my boat, everything else is unusable for what I do. 4 of those 5 presets were in the demo video.

I guess I pulled that trigger a bit too soon.

k

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:30 pm

(I know this wasn't necessarily about me, but) I sometimes get the fanboy taunt, which is odd cos I criticise a fair bit about specifics. On these expansions, Nylon Sky is a bit disappointing from a pure sampled guitar perspective,
Care to expand on that about Nylon Sky as it’s the expansion I am most interested in.

rACatkvr wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:34 pmCare to expand on that about Nylon Sky as it’s the expansion I am most interested in.
From a few pages back:
The main expressivo patch has baked in vibrato that, when played as held chords, is very unrealistic. It's a really weird effect. Solution - don't use that patch for held chords, use the Clean (non-vibrato) instead. (also the softest velocities are okay, but it's hard to trigger those from my keyboard without playing super-artificially soft).

Another thing that doesn't feel quite right to me are the realism noises. They seem a little weighted towards clonks and bangs, and not enough for finger noises.

Finally, compared with (say) a comprehensive Kontakt library, there's not many articulations in the main patch. Short glisses and hammer-ons in the main patches - that's it. Some other patches have stuff like harmonics though.
In short, if you're hoping for a Kontakt-style ultimate realistic library then I think it's going to be disappointing. Even though the tone is lovely and there's a ton of great stuff you can do, these are significant limitations. But on the other hand, the range of places it can go is stratospheric (to continue the Sky analogy).
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Nylon Sky certain seems like the best of the extensions.

Having watched the walkthrough on Seismic Shock and Unclean Machine, not 100% sure who these are aimed at tbh.

Haven't really looked at Undercurrent yet.

LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:36 pm But I joined a few groups on facebook for Omnisphere, and it was just pure blatant fanboism and anyone dare speak against these extensions was mauled (as much as you can be on FB)
That's the norm for FB groups. Try joining any Acustica Audio group, Waves or Plugin Alliance... :borg:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:20 am
LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:36 pm But I joined a few groups on facebook for Omnisphere, and it was just pure blatant fanboism and anyone dare speak against these extensions was mauled (as much as you can be on FB)
That's the norm for FB groups. Try joining any Acustica Audio group, Waves or Plugin Alliance... :borg:
tbh I joined a bunch recently, and now I am a member of about 2 which are quite placid and mainly for sound design ideas.

The fanatic groups I left quite quickly. The Omnisphere one I joined was run by the PluginGuru guy ? That sound right ? I was outta there quick. The dribble was building up by the salivating fanboi's

AudioAlien wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:04 am Here is audio for all 4 sonic extensions, since there is no demo I found these helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFnAOSH2xjk
Yes, I saw the video also already. Good overview.
There are same great patches included ("some"!). The video don't show any rhythm based patches/scenes. I thougt, some of the 4 libraries are full of rhythm based patches.
Cause at least 70-80% of the patches I don't use, 150€ - and on the end for all 4 libraries nearly 600€ - are quiet too much; it's more them buying Omnisphere :-)
If I compare this with all the libraries, which e.g. Pluginguru offers for Omnisphere....The prices there per library mostly under 50€ and come mostly with a huge number of patches/presets (incl. a lot of multis with playable grooves).
I further wait, if I buy a first library of Sonic extension and hope for more "real" user reviews incl. sound/preset demos.

Return to “Instruments”