The Most Overrated and Underrated VST/AU (Effects And Instruments)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

crickey13 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:50 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:01 pm Also, i have to say, the freeware Podolski NEVER gets mentioned. Sad since its such a great synth.
I wish it would get a GUI revamp like Zebralette and Triple Cheese. The latter looks awesome now.
Yeah that would be cool
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Overrated: Avenger. Plastic and fake sounding. Maybe good for people that like really harsh sounding way over compressed edm.

Underrated: all plugins coming from Psychic Modulation. The Echomelt 3 thread in the effects forum is barely getting any replies. If you like VHS tape aesthetic you'll adore their plugins. Part of me likes that they're underrated because I like having secret weapons.

bazille is also very underated it s one of my top plugin i enjoyed it more than diva , surprisignly as it may not be a emulation of analog synth i make analog sounding stuff that i enjoy more on it ,the sound quality of this synth is underated.

overated i m not sure there is any synth overated...often we rate a synth bad but it s often cause we don t know how to program it for the sound it s good at .

Underrated : plasmonic
Can't believe more people are hyped about it , everything is so well executed and superb quality
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:08 pm Underrated : plasmonic
Can't believe more people are hyped about it , everything is so well executed and superb quality
Shhhh.... :lol:

pdxindy wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:14 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:08 pm Underrated : plasmonic
Shhhh.... :lol:
Your "Shhhh" made me curious ;) I'm checking it!

Loomer's Aspect and String are pretty cool, so I'd say they are underrated.
Also Audjoo Helix, but none those have had major updates in years.
I don't think Helix will ever be updated (developer mentioned that), but who knows.

Not sure about the overrated plugins though.

Examigan wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:55 pm I don't think Helix will ever be updated (developer mentioned that), but who knows.
Helix had a maintenance update a couple years ago so it works in MacOS Mojave at least, but yeah the GUI will never be scalable.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Examigan wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:55 pm Also Audjoo Helix, but none those have had major updates in years.
I don't think Helix will ever be updated (developer mentioned that), but who knows.
Had an update in 2020. I like it and it's definitely underrated, it could a GUI update though. The sound of it though makes me come back to it every now and then for some reason, I just love the way it sounds.

i always considered sonigen modular as underated, at least it has is uniq sound a really nice caractere. also tracktion sutff coded by the guy who worked on blofeld and largo , i think he also worked on older waldorf synths , could be considerated underated if you like that sound

Well under rated and rarely mentioned partly because of age.
It sounds very good to my ear.
Art Vera Pyrite https://www.artvera-music.com/art-pyrit ... ument.html

Kalamata Kid wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:27 pm Well under rated and rarely mentioned partly because of age.
It sounds very good to my ear.
Art Vera Pyrite https://www.artvera-music.com/art-pyrit ... ument.html
If you like Art Pyrite, don’t miss the HG Fortune synths (now freeware, as the dev is sadly deceased), which are similarly great for weird pads and atmospheres. If you search these forums, you can find a link to all of the dev’s synths in one zip file. Like AP, they’re also 32-bit only.

Like Pyrite, they’re the sort of synth where practically every preset brings a new track idea.

briefcasemanx wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:41 pmUnderrated: all plugins coming from Psychic Modulation. The Echomelt 3 thread in the effects forum is barely getting any replies. If you like VHS tape aesthetic you'll adore their plugins.
Well, there's your answer because nobody with even half-a-brain could possibly "like" anything about VHS, beyond the fact we'll never have to experience it again.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Pretty much every new plugin is overrated to me. I'm only interested in standouts, which is why I find myself using obsolete plugins that I feel stand the test of time (some people already mentioned Helix, but I also main Albino, Blue II, Hydra, Largo, Dune 2, FM8). It's all been done before guys, and using up more CPU, RAM and storage space not a selling point. And Vital and Surge are free now. What's even the point anymore of buying up all these $100 plugins that spring out like whack-a-mole and they're all the same? The only thing in recent years that I found exciting was OB-E, and I can't even demo it to see if it's worth the money because It's a Mac exclusive.

Particularly I don't get the hype about the freebie GR-8. Phutura underwhelmed me to death, and GR-8 is merely righting the wrongs of Phutura. It's just another Superwave remake that uses 10x more CPU than Synth1. Edit: GR-8 has been GRowing on me, but yeah I wish it used less CPU.

If you think GR-8 is good, then Sonicbits Silk would be underrated.
Last edited by cyrb on Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BONES wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:03 am
briefcasemanx wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:41 pmUnderrated: all plugins coming from Psychic Modulation. The Echomelt 3 thread in the effects forum is barely getting any replies. If you like VHS tape aesthetic you'll adore their plugins.
Well, there's your answer because nobody with even half-a-brain could possibly "like" anything about VHS, beyond the fact we'll never have to experience it again.
well you're wrong and likely never saw it's value (kinda surprises me tbh)...back in the day of 4-tracks I wanted certain elements in stereo, bouncing wasnt always conducive to stereo and bouncing came with issues. I adopted a method I thought was my own at the time but really was a take on SGT Peppers concept. I would lay down 4 tracks, not three, mix them to a stereo cassette deck, then record that stereo track to two tracks later in the tape or on another tape in the 4-track essentially bouncing 4 to 2 instead of 3 to 1. I loved this, I could get my drums in stereo (which at the time wasnt very much, a Yamaha RX17).

I had (still do but in the garage) a really nice stereo VCR (sony), I decided one day to try and mix my two tracks to that instead of my cassette deck which was a basic JVC dual deck. There was a sound difference imo, but that wasnt what was better. Bouncing this way sometimes I might get little noises to the cassette, none with the VHS, but also degradation was better with the VCR.

A few years after that I started getting in digital, I also got into retail but that's besides the point. Imagine my surprise when i discovered that the most common digital medium available then was what BONES? ADAT.

You are quite wrong in assuming facts here sir that are merely your opinion and you need not ever call another human being an idiot or imply it until you dispose of your dunce cap too (the same goes for me and every other member here, we all wear dunce caps from time to time).

You see sir, ADAT played a very important role in the development of the recording industry especially for consumer recording as opposed to pro studios...it open the door and at one time they were every where you looked and it seems to me very, well, wait for it...popular...and you know what...I made a boatload of money on it.
nobody with even half-a-brain could possibly "like" anything about VHS, beyond the fact we'll never have to experience it again

absolutely 100% out of line and shows your ignorance, not ours.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Instruments”