The Most Overrated and Underrated VST/AU (Effects And Instruments)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
KVRAF
6752 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:34 am

crickey13 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:50 am
Halonmusic wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:01 pm
Also, i have to say, the freeware Podolski NEVER gets mentioned. Sad since its such a great synth.
I wish it would get a GUI revamp like Zebralette and Triple Cheese. The latter looks awesome now.
Yeah that would be cool
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

KVRian
898 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:41 am

Overrated: Avenger. Plastic and fake sounding. Maybe good for people that like really harsh sounding way over compressed edm.

Underrated: all plugins coming from Psychic Modulation. The Echomelt 3 thread in the effects forum is barely getting any replies. If you like VHS tape aesthetic you'll adore their plugins. Part of me likes that they're underrated because I like having secret weapons.

KVRist
324 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:44 am

bazille is also very underated it s one of my top plugin i enjoyed it more than diva , surprisignly as it may not be a emulation of analog synth i make analog sounding stuff that i enjoy more on it ,the sound quality of this synth is underated.

overated i m not sure there is any synth overated...often we rate a synth bad but it s often cause we don t know how to program it for the sound it s good at .

User avatar
KVRAF
4641 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:08 pm

Underrated : plasmonic
Can't believe more people are hyped about it , everything is so well executed and superb quality
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

User avatar
KVRAF
20442 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:14 pm

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:08 pm
Underrated : plasmonic
Can't believe more people are hyped about it , everything is so well executed and superb quality
Shhhh.... :lol:

KVRAF
7611 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:45 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:14 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:08 pm
Underrated : plasmonic
Can't believe more people are hyped about it , everything is so well executed and superb quality
Shhhh.... :lol:
Your "Shhhh" made me curious ;) I'm checking it!

KVRAF
6140 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:55 pm

Loomer's Aspect and String are pretty cool, so I'd say they are underrated.
Also Audjoo Helix, but none those have had major updates in years.
I don't think Helix will ever be updated (developer mentioned that), but who knows.

Not sure about the overrated plugins though.

User avatar
KVRAF
3795 posts since 25 Jan, 2014 from The End of The World as We Knowit

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:33 pm

Examigan wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:55 pm
I don't think Helix will ever be updated (developer mentioned that), but who knows.
Helix had a maintenance update a couple years ago so it works in MacOS Mojave at least, but yeah the GUI will never be scalable.
buying happiness

User avatar
KVRian
531 posts since 27 Aug, 2020

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:23 am

Examigan wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:55 pm
Also Audjoo Helix, but none those have had major updates in years.
I don't think Helix will ever be updated (developer mentioned that), but who knows.
Had an update in 2020. I like it and it's definitely underrated, it could a GUI update though. The sound of it though makes me come back to it every now and then for some reason, I just love the way it sounds.

KVRist
324 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:18 am

i always considered sonigen modular as underated, at least it has is uniq sound a really nice caractere. also tracktion sutff coded by the guy who worked on blofeld and largo , i think he also worked on older waldorf synths , could be considerated underated if you like that sound

KVRAF
5095 posts since 27 Jul, 2001 from Tarpon Springs, Florida, USA

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:27 am

Well under rated and rarely mentioned partly because of age.
It sounds very good to my ear.
Art Vera Pyrite https://www.artvera-music.com/art-pyrit ... ument.html

KVRer
24 posts since 21 Jan, 2020

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:37 pm

Kalamata Kid wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:27 am
Well under rated and rarely mentioned partly because of age.
It sounds very good to my ear.
Art Vera Pyrite https://www.artvera-music.com/art-pyrit ... ument.html
If you like Art Pyrite, don’t miss the HG Fortune synths (now freeware, as the dev is sadly deceased), which are similarly great for weird pads and atmospheres. If you search these forums, you can find a link to all of the dev’s synths in one zip file. Like AP, they’re also 32-bit only.

Like Pyrite, they’re the sort of synth where practically every preset brings a new track idea.

User avatar
GRRRRRRR!
12579 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:03 pm

briefcasemanx wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:41 am
Underrated: all plugins coming from Psychic Modulation. The Echomelt 3 thread in the effects forum is barely getting any replies. If you like VHS tape aesthetic you'll adore their plugins.
Well, there's your answer because nobody with even half-a-brain could possibly "like" anything about VHS, beyond the fact we'll never have to experience it again.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10(64), Evo8 | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

User avatar
KVRist
63 posts since 11 Jun, 2019

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Pretty much every new plugin is overrated to me. I'm only interested in standouts, which is why I find myself using obsolete plugins that I feel stand the test of time (some people already mentioned Helix, but I also main Albino, Blue II, Hydra, Largo, Dune 2, FM8). It's all been done before guys, and using up more CPU, RAM and storage space not a selling point. And Vital and Surge are free now. What's even the point anymore of buying up all these $100 plugins that spring out like whack-a-mole and they're all the same? The only thing in recent years that I found exciting was OB-E, and I can't even demo it to see if it's worth the money because It's a Mac exclusive.

Particularly I don't get the hype about the freebie GR-8. Phutura underwhelmed me to death, and GR-8 is merely righting the wrongs of Phutura. It's just another Superwave remake that uses 10x more CPU than Synth1.

If you think GR-8 is good, then Sonicbits Silk would be underrated.

User avatar
Rad Grandad
34972 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:41 pm

BONES wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:03 pm
briefcasemanx wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:41 am
Underrated: all plugins coming from Psychic Modulation. The Echomelt 3 thread in the effects forum is barely getting any replies. If you like VHS tape aesthetic you'll adore their plugins.
Well, there's your answer because nobody with even half-a-brain could possibly "like" anything about VHS, beyond the fact we'll never have to experience it again.
well you're wrong and likely never saw it's value (kinda surprises me tbh)...back in the day of 4-tracks I wanted certain elements in stereo, bouncing wasnt always conducive to stereo and bouncing came with issues. I adopted a method I thought was my own at the time but really was a take on SGT Peppers concept. I would lay down 4 tracks, not three, mix them to a stereo cassette deck, then record that stereo track to two tracks later in the tape or on another tape in the 4-track essentially bouncing 4 to 2 instead of 3 to 1. I loved this, I could get my drums in stereo (which at the time wasnt very much, a Yamaha RX17).

I had (still do but in the garage) a really nice stereo VCR (sony), I decided one day to try and mix my two tracks to that instead of my cassette deck which was a basic JVC dual deck. There was a sound difference imo, but that wasnt what was better. Bouncing this way sometimes I might get little noises to the cassette, none with the VHS, but also degradation was better with the VCR.

A few years after that I started getting in digital, I also got into retail but that's besides the point. Imagine my surprise when i discovered that the most common digital medium available then was what BONES? ADAT.

You are quite wrong in assuming facts here sir that are merely your opinion and you need not ever call another human being an idiot or imply it until you dispose of your dunce cap too (the same goes for me and every other member here, we all wear dunce caps from time to time).

You see sir, ADAT played a very important role in the development of the recording industry especially for consumer recording as opposed to pro studios...it open the door and at one time they were every where you looked and it seems to me very, well, wait for it...popular...and you know what...I made a boatload of money on it.
nobody with even half-a-brain could possibly "like" anything about VHS, beyond the fact we'll never have to experience it again


absolutely 100% out of line and shows your ignorance, not ours.
Words are a barrier to help-seeking and a motivator for making discrimination acceptable.
Mad Pride
If there is a direction to mankind, it ought to be a coming together Brian May

Return to “Instruments”