Plugin Alliance BS vouchers

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So today I get an email from Plugin Alliance offering ANY plugin (Bar the ones they state) for 29.99

I think , thats cool, i'll get one I wanted.

Get to checkout, add the voucher code, its 29.99

THEN THEY ADD VAT.

Why on earth can't they swallow up the VAT themselves and then the plugin would actually be 29.99 like they stated.

It's my fault, I forget its Plugin Alliance, cannot trust them at all to be upfront.

Waves don't seem to have this issue , as do any companies that do these vouchers, what price they say is what price you pay.

PA need to cut this false marketing out once and for all, or at the very least put + VAT on the offer price in the emails.

/rant
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

This comes up time and time again. PA don't add VAT your government does it.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Yep, in the mail there is an asterisk at the price, and a note in the small print:
“Local VAT taxes may be added, only if required by law in your country. “
So they’re technically not doing anything wrong here… marketing and advertising, it’s not pretty, but not illegal.

I agree it is annoying as it is a real mixed bag out there some companies include the price of VAT in their listings like Arturia where others like Cableguys own store stealthily charge you an extra 20% at checkout, but confusingly cover the VAT when sold from third party stores like PluginBoutique.

To be fair to Plugin Alliance they do always state on their deals that local taxes will be added at checkout, you just have to read to the end of the email.

I like their cheeky way of using word "any" to give an impression that actually they mean any plugin while in reality it's selected pool of plugins in promotion.

I have a habit that when I see "*" in a headline, I'm instantly pressing trash bin icon.

Where I live we have no VAT but I had a few plugin developers charging VAT anyway. I find that even more annoying to be honest. Most however doesn't add any VAT so it's not a wide spread issue. PA never charged me any VAT.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

The VAT situation is essentially what it is, hard for me to properly attack it since they're far from the only ones doing like this. What bums me out with the PA payment flow is that they deduct money (if you use PayPal as the payment method) BEFORE you actually confirm the payment on the PA site, after being redirected back from PayPal. I'm not sure if it's only booked as a reservation towards the account, but this is really not okay.

As others have stated, they're doing business correctly; charging you their price for the product and adding on VAT if legally obliged to do so.

If they were to 'swallow up' the VAT then that would be unfair on people in countries that don't charge it. People like ATN69 above would be subsidising our (UK etc) VAT payments.

You're probably best getting angry at the other companies for overcharging non-vat payers or our govt.

VAT of $29.99 is not that huge deal tbh. I'm bouncing back more often when I see the final price of IKM plugins :)

move to a different country.

pixel85 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:41 am I like their cheeky way of using word "any" to give an impression that actually they mean any plugin while in reality it's selected pool of plugins in promotion.

I have a habit that when I see "*" in a headline, I'm instantly pressing trash bin icon.
To be fair, they never said "every" so there's really nothing cheeky about it.

fese wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:00 am Yep, in the mail there is an asterisk at the price, and a note in the small print:
So they’re technically not doing anything wrong here… marketing and advertising, it’s not pretty, but not illegal.
No, there is not. I am talking about the email they sent out, the asterix refers to the plugins that are NOT part of the deal, because it says ANY plugin 29.99 *

So I click the link to get a plugin and at checkout I get VAT slapped on it. How come Waves say 29.99 and it IS 29.99 ?
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

dblock wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:10 pm
pixel85 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:41 am I like their cheeky way of using word "any" to give an impression that actually they mean any plugin while in reality it's selected pool of plugins in promotion.

To be fair, they never said "every" so there's really nothing cheeky about it.
One of the definitions of 'any' is 'every'. 'Any' is used here as a typical marketing hook.

LeVzi wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:51 pm
fese wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:00 am Yep, in the mail there is an asterisk at the price, and a note in the small print:
No, there is not. I am talking about the email they sent out, the asterix refers to the plugins that are NOT part of the deal, because it says ANY plugin 29.99 *

So I click the link to get a plugin and at checkout I get VAT slapped on it. How come Waves say 29.99 and it IS 29.99 ?
Because WAVES is top customer oriented!

To me this isn't a Plugin Alliance issue. It's nice when some companies will cut their price to offset any taxes, but that's a relatively new trend and literally takes money out off the sale (i.e. less going to developers) while offering a larger discount to customers in higher tax areas in order to skirt sales tax (VAT) by charging less. 20% of $80 results in less tax than 20% of $100. This isn't or shouldn't be the rule. There are two certainties in life: death and taxes. VAT is the latter. I don't think getting angry at Plugin Alliance or posting about it on KVR is the right forum. Or at least, go to the Hyde Park sub-forum for a debate on tax policy.

Just my two cents...as stupid as anyone else's. ;)

Return to “Effects”