The Most Overrated and Underrated VST/AU (Effects And Instruments)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I ran some audio through a real SVHS and cassette deck, and it sounds nothing like the fake exaggerated effects all those plugins seem to make. In fact the effect can be quite subtle that some wouldn't even call it "analog enough".

Though maybe it's good if your bottom line is appealing to Synthwave/Vaporwave stoners who don't know any better on what analog is or isn't. But if you actually think fake flutter and VHS wobbles enhance the production pre-mastering, you're probably trying to cover up flaws in your music.

ADAT just used the tape, it wasn't VHS in any way, shape or form. VHS was a fully analogue recording system. My first album was mixed down to a Betamax tape, as a digital master via Sony's PCM device (Sony's answer to ADAT), but that doesn't change my view of what Betamax was, either. Nor does it make me want to sound that bad ever again. It seems, Hink, that you hold that sound quality in somewhat higher regard but, honestly, is it really something you would like to revisit in 2021 or is it just a little bit of nostalgia for better times in your life, rather than better production?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

That is not the point, the point is you stated for others what they like...it doesnt matter, it has absolutely nothing to do with you. I quoted directly, twice what I was referring to. The minute you speak for another you lose your voice.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

lol

Hink wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:18 amThat is not the point, the point is you stated for others what they like...it doesnt matter, it has absolutely nothing to do with you.
I wasn't speaking for anyone, simply pointing out how people come across when they say certain things.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

cyrb wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:32 am Pretty much every new plugin is overrated
This! And that is all :P
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

For overrated, i'd go with Pigments, I just never liked the sound of it. Underrated, for me, is the Shaperbox bundle. I know many people use Shaperbox so "underrated" seems off here, but i get the feeling 98% out there use it for sidechaining only, while its so much more than that.

BONES wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:03 am
briefcasemanx wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:41 pmUnderrated: all plugins coming from Psychic Modulation. The Echomelt 3 thread in the effects forum is barely getting any replies. If you like VHS tape aesthetic you'll adore their plugins.
Well, there's your answer because nobody with even half-a-brain could possibly "like" anything about VHS, beyond the fact we'll never have to experience it again.
Another Bones post where you triumphantly declare that people that have different opinions than you on subjective things are idiots.

Please take your personality disorder elsewhere. Or don't, keep posting so people can laugh.
cyrb wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:56 am I ran some audio through a real SVHS and cassette deck, and it sounds nothing like the fake exaggerated effects all those plugins seem to make. In fact the effect can be quite subtle that some wouldn't even call it "analog enough".

Though maybe it's good if your bottom line is appealing to Synthwave/Vaporwave stoners who don't know any better on what analog is or isn't. But if you actually think fake flutter and VHS wobbles enhance the production pre-mastering, you're probably trying to cover up flaws in your music.
What are you arguing exactly, that consumer analog tape cannot heavily distort? It absolutely can. I'm going to assume that you're very young if you don't think it can. Not every single tape, especially in good condition and played on a quality playback system sounds like Vaporware or whatever.

You could argue that every single effects process is to cover up flaws in your music. Arguing that aesthetic choices that you don't personally care for are made in order to "cover up flaws" is an incredibly logically terrible argument. As well as just plain ignorant and disingenuous.
Last edited by briefcasemanx on Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well, I vouch for judicious uses of VHS tape effect. Even if it's exaggerated, it kinda conjures feelings of nostalgia or anemoia for newer generations. This, when properly used, could be aesthetically pleasing and could take the listener for a bit of journey back in time. So it's not wrong at all to like it. As with anything though, overuse leads to sounding cliche and boring.
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

Overrated - Omnisphere - Spire - Dune 3 - iris 2

To the O.P. - I couldn't be more opposite about Iris 2 - I bought it many years ago and tried hard to love it, but found it unique for only one thing, and for everything else I could do it just as well on other synths. So I made a few tracks using that one unique feature, then never used it again. Waste of money for my workflow and approach - just didn't jell with it.

Underrated - don't know

What I love using - Phase plant & the complete Kilohearts ecosystem
Last edited by Fraggle on Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zen

Fraggle wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:38 pm Overrated - Omnisphere - Spire - Dune 3
Speak for yourself. :P

jethrobull wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:58 am
cyrb wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:32 am Pretty much every new plugin is overrated
This! And that is all :P
+1

Underrated: Synthmaster 1 and 2.

chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:39 pm
Fraggle wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:38 pm Overrated - Omnisphere - Spire - Dune 3
Speak for yourself. :P
yes , I think that's the point of forums =)
Zen

BONES wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:32 am
Hink wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:18 amThat is not the point, the point is you stated for others what they like...it doesnt matter, it has absolutely nothing to do with you.
I wasn't speaking for anyone, simply pointing out how people come across when they say certain things.
yes you were and you do it all the time...but I will delete it every time I see it from this moment on because you sir refuse to get it (I actually posted "are as thick as a brick" but you are not thick, you know exactly what you are doing). Go ahead, post a multiple paragraph post that takes you a while to write...just imply and use terms like idiot and half a brain, any form of attack.

People misguidedly blame me for you and your piss poor childish behavior I am sick to death of it, You need to stop...you bring good points but you need to learn how to talk to people and trust me I am done with you. I am not taking anymore abuse from any other members on behalf of you or anyone else who feels they do not have to follow the rules.

This time there was no report, this was preemptive...read my words...get use to it...you will, not abuse people here anymore. And for the record this should not be the threshold, but your constant abuse of others makes it so for you. You created this, honestly for a very long time I agreed that it should not be a threshold, but what you do is you muddy the waters...sometimes it's an attack and others it's not...I agree sometimes it's not...it doesnt matter, your abuse makes me from now and assume it is never intended to be anything but a dig...else you would choose other words that are not offensive in nature. It's called natural consequences, you created this.

FTR to everyone else I will not even recognize half assed reports from members here who are reporting BONES just for the sake of it, he is not wrong for disagreeing, he has the absolute right to his opinion and such reports are not advisable or reasonable in any way shape or form.

You see this is what this problem has come down to, one huge disruption...ftr I dont want anyone gone...but some lines need to be drawn in the sand...here is one more.

Also FTR I will delete any post from any person responding to this post of mine, only because I do not want this to derail or drag out yet another conversation...I drew my line, carryon :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Fraggle wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:38 pm Overrated - Omnisphere - Spire - Dune 3 - iris 2

To the O.P. - I couldn't be more opposite about Iris 2 - I bought it many years ago and tried hard to love it, but found it unique for only one thing, and for everything else I could do it just as well on other synths. So I made a few tracks using that one unique feature, then never used it again. Waste of money for my workflow and approach - just didn't jell with it.

Underrated - don't know

What I love using - Phase plant & the complete Kilohearts ecosystem
What one feature in IRIS?

Also why do you think Dune 3 is overrated. I almost kinda do too, but I also like it at the same time.

Return to “Instruments”