Wanna Buy Spectrasonics Omnisphere , but...

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRer
24 posts since 30 Sep, 2021

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:32 am

Hello everyone, I'm new here, kept coming across this forum before when searching about various plugins, so now I've become a member as well.

I'm deciding on getting Spectrasonics Omnisphere VSTi.
I've been using Stylus RMX since around 2007, ( Stylus RMX has amazing drums loops and samples but has a bug that is still present today in the latest version, at least on my computer )
I heard about, and listened to demos, of Omnipshere, and am considering getting it, especially that there are so many 3rd party libraries available for it.

But I'm concerned that it might be having the same bug as Stylus RMX, which I heard also happens in Omnisphere:

1) Slow, laggy patch browser.
Selecting a patch freezes up Stylus RMX interface for about 5 seconds, even thou the new patch loads and starts playing immediately.

2) Parts missing patches upon recall.
Upon re-opening the cubase project the 'patches' in stylus rmx parts are gone. no 'default' displayed or anything, but just blanks, (patches are still available in the browser of course, but they're just not loaded in the parts how I previously selected them ) and no sound coming from them. And the worst part is that there's no way to recover the patch selections in those parts.
I used to save a multi inside stylus rmx and in cubase for each stylus rmx instance as a precaution in case this happens again so I could recover everything by reloading the saved multis or track presets from stylus rmx or cubase. But reloading them doesn't work for some unknown very strange reason which doesn't make any sense to me, they just don't load, which makes me think they don't get saved initially.


Initially these issues started happening around 2007 when I first bought Stylus RMX, Spectrasonics Support had me try methods by reauthorizing stylus rmx again, trying to diagnose the issue but didn't find any solution because it kept happening again and again from time to time, especially on large projects. ( and the memory is not the issue here, I have 32GB of ram and haven't ever used more than 25GB in my projects ) .
There was no permanent solution that took care of this once and for all, especially that Spectrasonics team could not recreate the issue on their end, and according to them it happens only to very small number of users, likely to a computer configuration issues or licensing issues. It probably is something to do with licensing because in attempt to fix this I had reauthorize Stylus RMX when this happens. Which probably prevented this from happening for a while but never could recover the lost patch settings anyways.
I changed my computer about 4 or 5 times since 2007 and I has this issue on every single computer, so I doubt it's a configuration that causes this.

The latest issues with Stylus RMX happened a few days ago:
1) At first stylus rmx instances were responding slowly when I tried selecting and loading patches into parts.
This issues happens rarely so I quickly recorded a video of my computer screen and posted here: https://youtu.be/y5Cauzdsum0

2) Then after I reopened the project later, in some of the stylus rmx instances the patches in the parts were gone. I had about 4 stylus rmx instances and 2 of them had patches gone. I attached a screenshot here:
Stylus RMX issue 001 .jpg

I understand that not many users experience these issues, and Spectrasonics team cant recreate it on their end, but here it is happening on my systems through 14 years.
If anyone had these bugs in Omnisphere how did you solve it or what are the workarounds ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
KVRAF
6367 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:01 am

What is the only constant all these years? Your place! Did you ever moved your computer to a different place on this earth and experienced still the same?
If yes, the other constant is you - do other people experience the same with your setup? If yes, its a mystery… (I don‘t own any Spectrasonics stuff, can‘t tel more…)

KVRian
967 posts since 1 Jan, 2009

Post Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:14 pm

I have stylus and don't have any of the problems you are having. , The presets are changing almost instantly in all of the Spectrasonics plugins. But I know I had some problems with slow presets changing with Omni on my old iMac. But now I'm running Windows everything runs like smooth butter. Of course, big sample patch takes time to load fully.

KVRAF
1747 posts since 26 Aug, 2012

Post Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:51 am

nun of dem problems iz in Omni

KVRer

Topic Starter

24 posts since 30 Sep, 2021

Post Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:38 am

Tj Shredder wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:01 am
What is the only constant all these years? Your place! Did you ever moved your computer to a different place on this earth and experienced still the same?
If yes, the other constant is you - do other people experience the same with your setup? If yes, its a mystery… (I don‘t own any Spectrasonics stuff, can‘t tel more…)
Highly doubt that a computer or location have anything to do with it.
I changed my computer 4 or 5 times since 2007, and currently am at a 3rd physical location.

KVRer

Topic Starter

24 posts since 30 Sep, 2021

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:59 am

I bought new M1 MacBook, bought Omnisphere 2, but can't install Omnisphere nor install Stylus RMX,
because Spectrasonics installer doesn't work on MAC OS Monterey yet.

KVRist
58 posts since 10 Mar, 2009 from Australia

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:36 pm

So why did you upgrade to Monterey? M1 came with Big Sur.

KVRer

Topic Starter

24 posts since 30 Sep, 2021

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:35 pm

rACatkvr wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:36 pm
So why did you upgrade to Monterey? M1 came with Big Sur.
because I pre-ordered the newer MacBook (M1 Max) which will come preloaded with Monterey.

currently installing / testing software on this M1 macbook, and the plan is to on create time-machine backup so when the newer macbook will arrive I'll just install everything from the timemachine backup.

KVRAF
3190 posts since 27 Jul, 2004

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:36 pm

Kinh wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:51 am
nun of dem problems iz in Omni
Really??

I just demoed Omnisphere in a shop and compared it to different VSTi´s on the same machine...

Not related to the Patch browser but it take ages to load and show GUI compared to others...

I´ve read multiple times about users having problems that patches aren´t recalled correctly after saving and reloading the project...

My experienced is limited but I personally wouldn´t say there aren´t any problems related to the points of the OP in Omnisphere...
Follow me on YouTube: M.o.R FL Studio Tricks
Become a patron: M.o.R FL Studio Tricks

KVRAF
3992 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:21 am

vad.martyn wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:59 am
MAC OS Monterey
Big mistake here.

You have learned the hard way. Never update OS until it's one, officially released and two, when your favorite software & tools have been updated to that OS.
Last edited by Neon Breath on Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
__________________________________________________
http://redfog-drone.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/sleeping-on-lotus-ashes
__________________________________________________

KVRAF
6561 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:36 am

Trancit wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:36 pm
Kinh wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:51 am
nun of dem problems iz in Omni
Really??

I just demoed Omnisphere in a shop and compared it to different VSTi´s on the same machine...

Not related to the Patch browser but it take ages to load and show GUI compared to others...

I´ve read multiple times about users having problems that patches aren´t recalled correctly after saving and reloading the project...

My experienced is limited but I personally wouldn´t say there aren´t any problems related to the points of the OP in Omnisphere...
Uh, TBF, most music stores use the bare minimum of computer requirements to demo. Especially if they're a chain store. So lag there should be expected and is easily explained. Two of the stores I was demoing it at often had issues of not even being able to get it to load.
I complained on this forum about that and Eric actually ask me to PM him which stores they were. I did and they got both those stores up to par by the next time I got there. Could adequately demo from then, but it still suffered from minimum computer specs.

And one thing to beware of with Spectrasonics is their speed of implementing "subject to change without notice" clause.
Which is where my personal history of skepticism with them stems from.

KVRist
58 posts since 10 Mar, 2009 from Australia

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 pm

vad.martyn wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:35 pm
rACatkvr wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:36 pm
So why did you upgrade to Monterey? M1 came with Big Sur.
because I pre-ordered the newer MacBook (M1 Max) which will come preloaded with Monterey.

currently installing / testing software on this M1 macbook, and the plan is to on create time-machine backup so when the newer macbook will arrive I'll just install everything from the timemachine backup.
So install Omnisphere first then upgrade to Monterey then time machine for transfer?

KVRAF
3992 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:17 pm

Demoing a software in a store. Seriously let’s get real, what is this, 2003?
__________________________________________________
http://redfog-drone.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/sleeping-on-lotus-ashes
__________________________________________________

KVRer

Topic Starter

24 posts since 30 Sep, 2021

Post Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:58 am

rACatkvr wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 pm
vad.martyn wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:35 pm
rACatkvr wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:36 pm
So why did you upgrade to Monterey? M1 came with Big Sur.
because I pre-ordered the newer MacBook (M1 Max) which will come preloaded with Monterey.

currently installing / testing software on this M1 macbook, and the plan is to on create time-machine backup so when the newer macbook will arrive I'll just install everything from the timemachine backup.
So install Omnisphere first then upgrade to Monterey then time machine for transfer?
that's what I was gonna do, installed all of my other plugins but forgot about omnisphere and stylus rmx. only remembered after did the update. didnt do a backup either

Return to “Instruments”