TEOTE additionally to Gullfoss?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys i love Gullfoss slightly on my master with slight tweaking around 10 or so percentage.
I added TEOTE demo after it and wanted not to overdo it but it has some nice adding to my ears for some tests so far added around 20-30%. But i dunno if it is just bad mixing, wrong impression or if TEOTE works different and both combined seems nicely working.

What are your experiences? Is Gullfoss replacing TEOTE or vice versa or do you even think both complement each other well?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I never tried them together, but personally I got better results with TEOTE than Gullfoss.

As far as I know, 'Mastering' mode in TEOTE reduces the processing by half - although this isn't reflected in the GUI. So this can be misleading as it might look like you're overprocessing, but you're not. Correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Can't compare with Gulfoss as I've never tried it.

MogwaiBoy, you are not correct. What you see is what you get, irrespective of Mastering mode.

If my master went Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE, Gullfoss, TEOTE would I eventually get a replicated pink noise shape?
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Aleksey Vaneev wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:17 am MogwaiBoy, you are not correct. What you see is what you get, irrespective of Mastering mode.
Thank you! I happily stand corrected.

I didn't really notice a change between Mastering mode on/off visually.

Definitely a voodoo plugin. Works in ways I am only beginning to scratch the surface of understanding.

Instead of buying Gulfoss I bought Voxengo Premium Membership. I'm set for life :love:

For mastering I prefer Gullfoss over TEOTE but will use both if I want a little more punch that TEOTE can offer. They both do different things and have a different effect. Gullfoss is meant to work beyond being a "goodizer" where-as TEOTE can be used subtly like Gullfoss or more overtly as an effect. I tend to use it in the latter "mode" during mixing and production. I have used it on the master for punch but only on very specific tracks. Because I like the way Gullfoss sounds and I have more experience using it for mastering I stick with it - I can't speak to using TEOTE as a Gullfoss substitute - some say they like it better, some say they dont, as it is with audio stuff. Try it the way you envision and if you think it sounds good, it sounds good (to you ;) ).

tbh since I started using TEOTE I won't even look elsewhere. It just fits. It takes the bite out of crazy resonances and tames things that actually make them more pleasant on the ears. I max it out which seems to be the best way. Made a huge difference to me on my masters tbh.

Not saying its better than Gullfoss, because i've never used that, but for me, TEOTE fits like a glove on my mastering chain.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Both - more is always better!

LeVzi wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:17 am tbh since I started using TEOTE I won't even look elsewhere. It just fits. It takes the bite out of crazy resonances and tames things that actually make them more pleasant on the ears. I max it out which seems to be the best way. Made a huge difference to me on my masters tbh.

Not saying its better than Gullfoss, because i've never used that, but for me, TEOTE fits like a glove on my mastering chain.
You max it out, 100%? And it doesn't sound really processed? :o Wow, do you have any examples? I'm interested to hear.

I find about 50% to be the limit, usually 10-30%. It is a magic plugin for sure - it's so deep.

I often max or almost max the FX amount. Boost Threshold is the one I'm more careful with (higher = less likely to boost stuff I don't want boosted).

For really nasty resonances I do still use manual EQ. TEOTE is good for "I wouldn't have even thought to cut there, but now it sounds better" stuff. But I'm also learning from it.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:26 am
LeVzi wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:17 am tbh since I started using TEOTE I won't even look elsewhere. It just fits. It takes the bite out of crazy resonances and tames things that actually make them more pleasant on the ears. I max it out which seems to be the best way. Made a huge difference to me on my masters tbh.

You max it out, 100%? And it doesn't sound really processed? :o Wow, do you have any examples? I'm interested to hear.

I find about 50% to be the limit, usually 10-30%. It is a magic plugin for sure - it's so deep.
Yeah number of bands is max. Doesnt sound over processed at all.

It's only my preference, but for some reason, I feel safer mixing into TEOTE rather than Gullfoss.

foosnark wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:40 pm For really nasty resonances I do still use manual EQ. TEOTE is good for "I wouldn't have even thought to cut there, but now it sounds better" stuff. But I'm also learning from it.
The best description of TEOTE I've seen so far, pretty much this.

That's why I love Teote , it seems to just take care of stuff I'd miss

If anything is really THAT bad it's hard to miss .

Return to “Effects”