Spectrasonics build up to Sonic Extensions....

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark and Light Omnisphere 2 Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

cryophonik wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:41 pm
LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:20 pm No one would admit it even if they did.
Yeah, because NOBODY on KVR has EVER expressed any regret or complained about a product they own EVER. :roll:

:hihi:
It's usually a bit different. You're buying a product you're stoked about, then realize that your other precious plugins have features that the one you just bought don't have. But, you want to use the new plugin, because it's so new and fancy, so you complain that it should have everything your other old and boring plugins have.

It's like the peeps constantly complaining about Studio One not having all the features that Bitwig has. :) It doesn't make sense at all, but, hey, what does these days?

E.g., I did a longer session with Massive X yesterday, and, it was abolustely fantastic. It doesn't have many features other plugins have, it has some deficiencies in regards of the the GUI and operation, and automatisms. But, hell, it smokes many, many plugins in terms of sound and immediacy.

I think people have a big issue with the mentality these days, in terms of accepting products which may not be 100% perfect. It's a direct result of both daintiness, and a market where you can get everything, in the blink of an eye, or the click of a mouse.

It's not like I didn't have my fair share of complaints about certain plugins as well. But, that's mostly limited to stuff where I just don't get the hype around here. Sometimes feel like KVR users have no taste, for the most part.

Just listened to a few videos again showcasing the sound demos of all Sonic Extensions. As I mentioned earlier, Unclean Machine and Undercurrent are my best picks and overall seem to be most useful ones for most people.

Now the question if I need them. I am done with the track I was working on and it had more than 5 instances of Omnisphere 2. So, I think it might be worth to consider getting two Sonic Extensions if I don't spend on anything else by end of the year, which I think will be the case, except Groove Agent 5 if it goes on sale.

So, to anyone with Unclean Machine and Undercurrent now that you have played with them sufficiently: Which one sounds more usable to you in terms of songs and music production? Which one has the most number of "usable" patches?

I am leaning towards Unclean Machine if I were to pick one, but getting at least two together only makes sense due to the "great" discount system. Some advice might help to completely skip the second one altogether and I can get just one and save some.
Last edited by LoveEnigma18 on Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:53 am Just listened to a few videos showcasing the sound demos of all Sonic Extensions. As I mentioned earlier, Unclean Machine and Undercurrent are my best picks and overall seem to be most useful ones for most people.

Now the question if I need them. Might consider getting them if I don't spend on anything else by end of the year, which I think will be the case, except Groove Agent 5 if it goes on sale.

So, to anyone with Unclean Machine and Undercurrent: Which one sounds more usable to you in terms of songs and music production? I am leaning towards Unclean Machine if I were to pick one, but I think getting at least two together makes sense due to the great discount system.
This is not easy to answer, really. Music production and songs can be anything. We do not know what kind of music or what type of songs you prefer. If you could give us a few examples it might be helpful. Both extensions can be used for a plethora of styles and with the ability to combine sounds in Omni there are really no limits.

enCiphered wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:08 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:53 am
This is not easy to answer, really. Music production and songs can be anything. We do not know what kind of music or what type of songs you prefer. If you could give us a few examples it might be helpful. Both extensions can be used for a plethora of styles and with the ability to combine sounds in Omni there are really no limits.
Yes, I could have mentioned that, but I was trying to mean that I am not into soundtrack/scoring music and rather into creating songs with/without vocals. Undercurrent seems to have more of the scoring stuff relatively, but I like how it sounds. So, if there are enough number of patches that can be useful for songs it would be good to consider it along with Unclean Machine. Basically just trying to decide whether I should get one or two.

I am making Alternative music, which is a mix of alternative rock/pop, electronic, and synthpop. I am not a guitarist, so even the so-called "rock" parts are done using sample-based instruments.

Thanks for the detailed reply!
Unclean Machine will be definitely more suitable for your needs. It has much more melodic presets which lean toward the positive mood of music. Not that you couldn´t use Undercurrent for your music but the sounds are very cinematic-driven, dominant and dark.

Just to add - I think a lot of Undercurrent isn't dark, there's a lot of lighter and melodic stuff in there. I'd agree with the cinematic label, but not stuff that can't be used in other kinds of music... it's not all Hans Zimmer bombast or anything.

Unclean Machine is more straight ahead for sure, and it's easy enough to lose the slightly gimmicky hiss and wobbles which tend to dominate otherwise.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Thank you to both of you. Appreciate the advice.

Unclean Machine for sure then when I get the chance. Yeah, I also liked some melodic stuff that I here in Undercurrent demos and the overall sound suits my taste. Seismic Shock (that Seismic Choir preset is just heavenly) has some good sounds, but most of what I hear isn't suitable for me. So choosing the second one is a bit tricky. The discount system is pushing me into thinking of getting two but I might be better with just one and save money instead of going for the second one and then regretting it. Perhaps the future SEs might be better for me. I really hope that they consider the discount for future orders so that you only pay the difference compared to buying two or more together when you order again.

I too am curious about Undercurrant. Is it just a collection of drones and pads to stack on the many pads already in Omni or is it something more. Is it just for scoring music or commercial? Like are there any decent plucks in there?

I watched this video quickly and it seems that Undercurrent isn't really suitable for me. Sounds phenomenal, but not the type of music I am creating where I could use those sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc6jskxRa5I

Also this one helped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMdWREIaUzw

Kinh wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:00 pm I too am curious about Undercurrant. Is it just a collection of drones and pads to stack on the many pads already in Omni or is it something more. Is it just for scoring music or commercial? Like are there any decent plucks in there?
wi ya wana no dis n dat?

---
Last edited by LoveEnigma18 on Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:03 pm Unclean Machine is more straight ahead for sure, and it's easy enough to lose the slightly gimmicky hiss and wobbles which tend to dominate otherwise.
To confirm on this point: Can Unclean Machine patches be made completely noise-free (no lo-fi at all) if needed? Hope it's just a matter of dialing one or two knobs on the Custom Controls page for all the patches?

I am wondering if there are any similar plugins or libraries that are similar to Unclean Machine. Not talking about the quality of the product but from similarity of sound character. I can think of NI Hybrid Keys, Lo-Fi Glow, and Kinetic Toys - all of which Unclean Machine kinda blows away easily. Any other stuff?

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:40 pm
To confirm on this point: Can Unclean Machine patches be made completely noise-free (no lo-fi at all) if needed? Hope it's just a matter of dialing one or two knobs on the Custom Controls page for all the patches?
Yes. I was using the cinematic lofi piano sound (so-called because of a loud film projector noise underneath it) and I was able to reduce that noise to nothing from a knob on the Custom Controls panel. But even if it wasn't on the front, it wouldn't be hard to get into the fx page and disable it there.

As to your question about other libraries, there's Thenatan's Lofi Piano, Postcard Piano (which is just one instrument), a lot of the Sample Science stuff but especially Cassette Roads and Nouveau Mellow, Dopesonix has one, and Quiet Music's Love-Fi collection. Rhythmic Robot and Sound Dust both have good lofi instruments for Kontakt. And UJAM's Retro finisher, while not an instrument, could make Steely Dan sound like study beats. It's on sale for one more day at Plugin Boutique.

I'd take Unclean Machine over all of it. Hope that helps. :)
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:49 pm I am wondering if there are any similar plugins or libraries that are similar to Unclean Machine.
I will point you to PlugInGuru's Omnisphere library called "Beautifully Broken". Lots of beautiful sounds, but all a little broken, dirty, unclean. And since many (if not all) use a drive or waveshape or some other modulation to dirty it up, you can make things clean if you'd like. Check out the walkthroughs John has on his YouTube channel.

I can't remember if you own Omnisphere or not.

Return to “Instruments”