Bitwig Studio 4.1 Beta release is imminent

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fieldframe wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:57 am Looks like some welcome additions for Bitwig the modular synthesis environment, maybe not so much for Bitwig the DAW.
Funny, I think of this update as specifically addressing the non-modular side, just like 4.0 did. (3.3 was a year ago, and had some good Grid and modulator additions.)

I use Bitwig for live recording of modular synths, and not for MIDI sequencing at all. That said, the note FX may be fun for the small bit of playing I do with a Launchpad X or the basic arp/sequencer in Microfreak -- which means the update is much more interesting to me than 4.0 was.

nbyte wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:06 pm Every one else has Problem with Push and Moosgraber Script on the beta release?
Push won`t output midinotes! It works with Bitwig 4.07...
Yes, the same with me !
Last edited by Invisble Man on Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So it's out but not out - would be nice to know when it is finally out

My subscription expired the 30 October so I don't have access to the beta..
Some cool new features but nothing that will make me extend my subscription. I will wait for something more consequent and stay on the mpc one for now :)

It's really basic but the first thing which annoys me with bitwig is no easy way to use the keyboard to trigger notes for the drum machine. Ok it's possible but I'm always in the wrong octave somehow and need to search the notes or search the magic shortcut that switches the octave, then the notes are not aligned with the bitwig pads...

So to produce drums without using the mouse to trigger pads, I need an external interface, even though i have a whole keyboard in front of me.. frustrating.

When i compare with the mpc one where I can do all this extremely fast it's like night and day.

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:23 pmSo it's out but not out - would be nice to know when it is finally out
You mean non-beta? It says Q4.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

We're in Q4 already aren't we?

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:36 pm We're in Q4 already aren't we?
Well, obviously down the Q4, but before Q1 :D

Anyway, I like how even the original palette is now more "punchy" :party:

Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Hmmm... The quirky, experimental nature of Bitwig is great, and I certainly don't want them to lose that. But at what point are they going to address in any meaningful measure Bitwig's function as a DAW, as a workspace? Broadly speaking, the last time they did anything like that was with the release of version 2.0, which was... 4 and a half years ago? I don't expect a dramatic overhaul every couple years, of course, and each release usually includes some useful workflow tidbits (custom color palette based on an image - useful and interesting!). Surely there's a middle ground to be had, though? I would just like to see a point-release or two whose theme was Bitwig's job as a DAW, not just a sonic playground.

Well, there aren't a lot of new features that could cause bugs in this release, so I guess it'll be out of beta in a week or two... :hihi:

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:23 pm
So it's out but not out - would be nice to know when it is finally out
I assume it will depend on how many bugs are found in the betas...

bigbot wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:31 am What's not useful about the way shuffle works now?
It doesn't swing it only shuffles (moves notes to the right of the beat versus to the left). The Global Shuffle doesn't actually shift the notes, you have to go to the quantize settings to do that and that is not realtime. In Logic I can choose a set of notes and apply shuffle/swing in realtime and see the results in the PR.

Groove templates are super useful. I don't use other people's swing. I use it to match my own swing across different instruments to keep the timing tight for things I play in. Sometimes I play without quantization turned on. In Logic/S1/Ableton this is super useful imo.

Then let's talk about audio quantization which is non-existent in Bitwig for some reason. Extracting grooves from audio is a big part of my workflow since I usually play in synths or drum machines (no midi just audio) and extract the groove to match my other content to it.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Redukt wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:14 pm Well, there aren't a lot of new features that could cause bugs in this release, so I guess it'll be out of beta in a week or two... :hihi:
That's true :D

auricle wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:38 pm
Redukt wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:14 pm Well, there aren't a lot of new features that could cause bugs in this release, so I guess it'll be out of beta in a week or two... :hihi:
That's true :D
My plan ends Nov 28th so.... :pray: Still, it wont bother me too much if I missed this one, I'll pick it up on the next once in maybe 6 months assuming something that I want comes along.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

PhilipVasta wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:12 pm I would just like to see a point-release or two whose theme was Bitwig's job as a DAW, not just a sonic playground.
...you mean like the comping that was the big deal with 4.0? Or maybe even the strumming device, which I can't really see as "quirky and experimental" at all?

Everyone has a different idea of what "Bitwig's job as a DAW" is, and everyone has a list of features they want that haven't been implemented yet. The devs' own list is probably longer than all of ours put together.

Pity they didn't finish the comping by adding midi comping.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Bitwig”