Cubase 12 released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:46 pm - native modulation system, i.e. LFOs, ADSRs, MSEGs, Step Sequeners, Env. Followers that you can connect to anything

That post was obviously a joke :D
Yes I get that. I just want this to be true. Pretty sure I’ve been requesting this since before Bitwig even existed.

All I really want from a cubase update is native mod sources & the shitty quick controls to be updated to macros that can be assigned to multiple parameters with varying depths

Cubase is obviously awesome for film scorers & composers, not so much for electronic producers anymore. It’s been well & truly left in the dust by the likes of Ableton & Bitwig in that regard.

Wouldn’t take much to get it up to par, but steinberg insist on ignoring workflow improvements to add fluff no serious producer needs. They are trying to appeal to newcomers by adding FX & instruments so they won’t feel the need to buy 3rd party tools. Unfortunately (aside from Freq2 EQ) anything they’ve added in recent updates is borderline useless to me.

The only new additions since I’ve owned cubase that I actually make use of are the Bézier curves in automation & MIDI CC lanes & sampler tracks. Literally everything else is filler to an electronic music producer.

No doubt 11.5 will be more of the same. I’m not expecting the features I crave because why would SB change the habit of a lifetime? We’ll probably get some crap new native FX, bug fixes that should have been free & the rest of this cycle’s development probably went into compatibility for M1 macs & Win 11.

I doubt this update will even be as good as 10.5 which was by far the most lack lustre update in several years
Last edited by tremor206 on Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

^^^ but it should work at least on the same usability level as is in ReasonRack (same source different targets with different ranges even inverted etc.)
I've moved it manually by hand but ofc. it can be LFOed, MSEGed etc. in Reason

even a Logic like modulator plugin would be a step backward compared to what can be achieved with Reason one in Cubase, so at least an UVI Shade like modulation system would be needed
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

tremor206 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:44 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:53 pm Ok, I'll start.

Greg Ondo mistaken me for someone else and gave me a 1h tour of 11.5 via MS Teams. What's coming?
- clip launcher with integration for Push, Launchpads and touch screens
- native modulation system, i.e. LFOs, ADSRs, MSEGs, Step Sequeners, Env. Followers that you can connect to anything
- new modular environment for building synths & FX from scratch, basically like Reaktor
- full touch-screen support, incl. ability to actually draw staff notation as if it was on a sheet of paper
- vector GUI, that you can reskin and resize however you want & it stays crisp all the time
- plugin sandboxing & bit-bridging
Please... please... please... let this be true!

(especially the bit quoted in bold)
I don’t care for any of those listed features… :lol:

I think that shows the kind of pickle Steinberg is in with Cubase. It has a rather broad user base with very different demands, you have the film and media composers, but also people recording bands and doing audio and (surprisingly) also some electronic musicians, whereas other DAWs are more focused on one user group (ProTools: recording and mixing audio, Live/Bitwig/FL: the electronic bunch). Logic is probably in a similar position, S1 maybe getting there, dunno.

Anyhoo, what I want is a better comping system, an actually useful DOP and a proper macro/scripting language.

I would like to see a rebuild on the group editing and comping as well. Moving mixer strips around freely seems like a reasonable ask. Some more powerful midi Insert effects would be welcomed. I expect we’ll see some enhancements to the sampler track. A modulation matrix with built in lfo tools that allow linked vsts and efx to be saved and controlled would be welcomed although I can do that with a chainer.

With all those wishes I'm just waiting to see this topic going through the same route as the recent Spectrasonics one :D

tremor206 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:34 pm
Scotty wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:26 pm Can we cut out the Bitwig propaganda and get back to Cubase?
Propaganda? Because we want features that would improve workflow for anyone who uses cubase?

Are you saying you wouldn’t benefit from cubase having native mod sources that can be assigned to anything in a project?
Well, there are probabliy quite a few people that just don't approach modulation to synths like that. I work with all of it quite sufficiently in the synth and assign control to it. I don't get the necessity, there are other ways to be modular, a modular synth workstation is quite a transformation for a Cubase.

Propaganda means spin. You're spinning, acting like everybody - "anyone" - wants that stuff. To me it would be more like bloat.

I can live without 'Gapless Audio!' but personally I like the others especially the 'stability and quality' one https://forums.steinberg.net/c/cubase/6 ... rder=votes
not sure that would make good for productivity but would add automation to track versions for creativity

Proper Windows windows (on Windows!) would be nice instead of the grotesquerie we now endure. And underscores in the menus, you know, like a Windows program.

jancivil wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:00 pm
Well, there are probabliy quite a few people that just don't approach modulation to synths like that. I work with all of it quite sufficiently in the synth and assign control to it. I don't get the necessity, there are other ways to be modular, a modular synth workstation is quite a transformation for a Cubase.
Realistically I can't see Steinberg doing a bottom-up integrated modular system. It would be a different DAW and would likely need massive changes to the underlying code. When I crave that workflow I can load Reason as a plugin or another modular plugin and go to town. I own Bitwig and can understand the appeal but Cubase isn't going to be Bitwig.

I could see Steinberg creating an integrated chainer with in-built preset recall , LFO tools. Macros etc. That would be more of a "bolt -on" addition but would be welcomed and more realistic in terms of development at least to the degree that I understand it.
Last edited by Scotty on Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

^^^ yepp, I would extend only the Rack part of C with some Unify-like visual builder (as an option) + macros + modulators + etc.
https://youtu.be/NCwBsNrPozs?list=PLTVy ... yEbx&t=467
ComboBox part on the left or 7:47>

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/unify- ... pluginguru

fese wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:19 pm
tremor206 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:44 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:53 pm Ok, I'll start.

Greg Ondo mistaken me for someone else and gave me a 1h tour of 11.5 via MS Teams. What's coming?
- clip launcher with integration for Push, Launchpads and touch screens
- native modulation system, i.e. LFOs, ADSRs, MSEGs, Step Sequeners, Env. Followers that you can connect to anything
- new modular environment for building synths & FX from scratch, basically like Reaktor
- full touch-screen support, incl. ability to actually draw staff notation as if it was on a sheet of paper
- vector GUI, that you can reskin and resize however you want & it stays crisp all the time
- plugin sandboxing & bit-bridging
Please... please... please... let this be true!

(especially the bit quoted in bold)
I don’t care for any of those listed features… :lol:

I think that shows the kind of pickle Steinberg is in with Cubase. It has a rather broad user base with very different demands, you have the film and media composers, but also people recording bands and doing audio and (surprisingly) also some electronic musicians, whereas other DAWs are more focused on one user group (ProTools: recording and mixing audio, Live/Bitwig/FL: the electronic bunch). Logic is probably in a similar position, S1 maybe getting there, dunno.

Anyhoo, what I want is a better comping system, an actually useful DOP and a proper macro/scripting language.
I think Cubase would improve faster if steinberg didn’t insist on there being 5 different versions of the app. AI, LE, elements, artist & pro. I get why they do a free version, but 2 free versions? And there really only need to be 2 paid tiers. Pro level & a cheaper beginner level.

With so many different versions to worry about, that’s a whole lot of additional testing to see how not including new features in lower tier versions affects everything else in the DAW.

As for mod sources, I’d be happy if they merely updated quick controls to act like multi assignable macros in synths & updated the midi inserts to be a bit more customisable. There’s no way that would take more coding than the time they spend making new native FX from scratch that nobody needs

def agree w. that update QC such as in that fashion. Not holding my breath.
if they work track presets to hold all the automation in what's saved I'll find the money for a point five.
If not it's in all likelihood more trouble than it's worth, to me.

tremor206 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:45 pmthe rest of this cycle’s development probably went into compatibility for M1 macs & Win 11.
They already announced W11 as being supported for the current release.

Maybe this post on their forum (from a year ago) gives some insights in one of the things that might be coming:
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/midi-rem ... ent/158426
Rumour has it that we are working on a new MIDI Remote API.

Usually we are not talking about our development roadmap, unreleased products or projects that are still under construction. But I guess we should make an exception from our policy here.

So, yes, we are working on a new MIDI Remote API that will allow deeper integration, a more convenient setup workflow for external MIDI controllers and more flexibility for manufactures to integrate their hardware. This is a huge project though and requires well-thought concepts and carefully designed UX. We are not there yet and hence we decided to invest further in this project.

Remote Control is one of the worst aspects of Cubase. Which is a little shocking considering how long it's been around and how extensive it's MIDI features in. You'd have thought that long ago, they'd have figured out how to better integrate MIDI hardware into their DAW. But it sounds like they got too far up their own asses and trying to sell Steinberg/Yamaha hardware with tighter integration at the expense of MIDI remote control features more broadly. Fixing that will be huge for Cubase, and I'm glad it's in the works. I think it was intended for Cubase 11 and just ended up being a much larger project than anticipated as some of the early [leaked] Cubase 11 docs and subsequent announcement of this "in the works" indicate.

...plus a publicly available API could open Cubase up to something like Reaper's CSI project, which is the best thing going on in DAWs+control surfaces by far IMO.

The floating title bar on Windows is infuriating. Who wants that? It's so counter to how Windows operates and what Windows users expect that it should've been ditched long ago.

HiDPI support, while not impacting me, is another mess in Cubase. It's been years and still not there yet. Same thing with the constant re-jiggering of menu items.

An external FX plugin is also badly needed IMO. The way this is meant to be built into the audio configuration is just silly. I may be patching in different bits of gear from a particular output, and it just makes a lot more sense to build something like ReaInsert or Pipeline for this.

And M1 support...that right there would be a great Cubase 11 or 12.

So, Is there any news on Cubase 12 yet?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”