The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

That's a fun tune with a risque bent. However, on my setup I hear almost nothing in the low end - I checked to make sure my sub was on, and it is. Is there perhaps a HPF somewhere in the master chain, or possibly a phase issue with panned or effected elements canceling each other out?

Also what is the plot of this soap you're doing?

Winstontaneous wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:19 pm That's a fun tune with a risque bent. However, on my setup I hear almost nothing in the low end - I checked to make sure my sub was on, and it is. Is there perhaps a HPF somewhere in the master chain, or possibly a phase issue with panned or effected elements canceling each other out?

Also what is the plot of this soap you're doing?
I purposely used a bass patch from Fab Four that is almost completely lacking low end. I wanted there to be just a hint of bass on this track. If you listen to old Beatles records from the mid 60s, there's not a lot of low end. The reason is because back then, it was very hard to reproduce the low end. AM radio was essentially scratch city. This track is simply a throwback to those days.

The plot of the soap is too adult oriented to discuss on this forum. I'll leave it at that.

You may have purposely emaciated your sound for effect, but the high hats are dominating. Sounds none to pleasant, which is a shame as you can do better. There may not have been a low end as we know it now, but there was a discernable low end in relation to everything else. I'm not getting it here.

Some of those older songs you posted were quite good, taken in context. As in a style that was prevalent then. I don't care so much about the fidelity presented in those old ones, I listen to the songs. For better or worse I would say you carried that period with you in everything since.

I am seriously curious about this crossdressing, Eddie Murphy style "I'm gonna play everybody!", NSFW soap opera.
Reverbnation
see ya 'round...

Morgaxx wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:15 pm You may have purposely emaciated your sound for effect, but the high hats are dominating. Sounds none to pleasant, which is a shame as you can do better. There may not have been a low end as we know it now, but there was a discernable low end in relation to everything else. I'm not getting it here.

Some of those older songs you posted were quite good, taken in context. As in a style that was prevalent then. I don't care so much about the fidelity presented in those old ones, I listen to the songs. For better or worse I would say you carried that period with you in everything since.

I am seriously curious about this crossdressing, Eddie Murphy style "I'm gonna play everybody!", NSFW soap opera.
Yeah, that hi hat is hot but the frequencies are still under control and nothing at 5k or above is piercing. By the way, that hi hat is a Fab Four patch that I really love. I may use it again in the future but for now, taking a break from the pop music. Working on TV scoring now for my soap. Now THAT'S a challenge.

Anyway, I can appreciate that you don't like the mix but it was exactly the way I wanted it. As for my older songs, well, nothing needs to be said. I didn't even know what a compressor was back then. Some of the songs were really catchy and, in fact, are going to be covered by my group, but I didn't know crap about mixing back then.

Anyway, thanks for the listen and the feedback. As for the soap, unfortunately, most of it I could never post here or even on Youtube as it would be taken down. There are some PG scenes but they're, relatively speaking, not that interesting, though one of them is kind of funny.

The three oldies on page 247 were the first songs of yours I was able to endure to their full length. "I know why" is even a song I would say I like.
But the new stuff - sorry, but this is my opinion - is just chinese rap.

kylie wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:26 pm The three oldies on page 247 were the first songs of yours I was able to endure to their full length. "I know why" is even a song I would say I like.
But the new stuff - sorry, but this is my opinion - is just chinese rap.
Thanks for the listen and the feedback.

For anybody who's interested, here's a scene from "As The Clone Turns" season 1 episode 6. It's the opening title and the party and agents report at the end.

In a nutshell, Steven Wagenheim (me) is murdered. When the body is found, the police recover a thumb drive. On it is a video where Steve suspects that he'll be murdered and leaves instructions to not tell the family and have an agent undergo plastic surgery to take his place in order to uncover the murderer.

Yeah, it's a little far fetched but with the leaving behind of his whole life story, we make it work.

The suspected reason for the murder is because of the taboo lifestyle he'd lived. I'll leave it at that. Prime suspects are the mother and father having learned what their son is into.

I'm hoping to run this 6 or 7 seasons. Season 1 is finished with a really cool cliffhanger.

Anyway, here's the scene for anybody who wants to watch. It's all guys in this one. Sorry, nobody is going to see me in a dress anymore than they already have. I don't need the comments that are sure to follow.

https://youtu.be/--4wGTiibVc

dhg
Last edited by codec_spurt on Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

codec_spurt wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:03 am This shit is great!

Thanks for sharing this with us wags.

I'd pay good money to see the whole series.

Who ever knew you had such strength in depth?

Rock on, brother!

:hug:
Thanks. Trust me, some of this stuff would be very difficult for some people to watch.

pkjgh
Last edited by codec_spurt on Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

codec_spurt wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:51 am Ach, you'll be ok.

You've already done something more than 90 percent of KVR'rs didn't have the bollox to do - you've given something of yourself, laid yourself bare, ready to be judged.

And you got judged, but it wasn't so bad!

Even the people that have had a bit of a go at you have not done it through malice. Frustration, yes, among other things. Don't take the harsh words too much to heart. But listen where you can to some of the things they say. Not easy.

I've had some of the elders here send me PMs to school me about my personality disorder. Was it their place? Probably not. Did they do it out of malice? Probably not.

Your work is great. It's inventive, it's funny without trying to be comedic. It's funny without you being a clown. It's funny because it's you and it's very individual, without you trying to be 'individual' and 'unique'.

The music you used is really something great too. I can see you really making a niche for yourself there if you can follow that through a bit further. That stuff needs a 'sixth sense'. It seems you have it. That's another angle for you. I was not being flippant when I said you demonstrated depth in strength. You do.

This isn't the ideal place for you to display your work. But it's probably the best place there is at the moment, so it will have to do, and we should be respectful of that.

The human race has come a long way very quickly. Multimedia, such as it is, may not be the message as much as it is the media, or was it the fact that it was not so much the media, but more the message? Marshall McLuhan - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_McLuhan

Anyway, you've done some great stuff. Respect.

You've got a lot of friends on KVR. Even those you think of as enemies. They aren't malicious and have your best interests at heart. As hard as that might seem to you.

I'll be looking at all your work from now on in, with a new light. Please keep sharing. I'll let you know what I think of it, good or bad. Being able to take genuine critique is a very important part of being an artist.
Thank you so much for this detailed response. They are rare and I really appreciate them.

As for the video thing, it's something I always wanted to do but never had the tools. Now I do. Having said that, nobody knows better than I do how amateurish this stuff is. It's not supposed to be Steven Spielberg. But I had a blast doing it. And that's all that matters to me. If somebody else appreciates it, that's just gravy.

And yes, please feel free to give your honest feedback on anything I post here. Having finally gotten my music recorded and sold and royalties coming in, I don't take criticism nearly as bad as I used to. I just think about what I've accomplished and it softens the blow, so to speak.

koilh
Last edited by codec_spurt on Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

codec_spurt wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:21 am
wagtunes wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:50 am ...

Thank you so much for this detailed response. They are rare and I really appreciate them.

As for the video thing, it's something I always wanted to do but never had the tools. Now I do. Having said that, nobody knows better than I do how amateurish this stuff is. It's not supposed to be Steven Spielberg. But I had a blast doing it. And that's all that matters to me. If somebody else appreciates it, that's just gravy.

And yes, please feel free to give your honest feedback on anything I post here. Having finally gotten my music recorded and sold and royalties coming in, I don't take criticism nearly as bad as I used to. I just think about what I've accomplished and it softens the blow, so to speak.
The thing is, you don't have that much farther to go.

Let's face it, in the words of Hunter S Thompson, you are one of God's own very prototypes never intended for mass production!

The niche that you would fill would depart very soon from KVR stuff.

Hell, even most of KVR doesn't like the other half of KVR.

But it provides a unique space none the less. And for that I think we should all be thankful.

The things is, what is it that you want to do?

And whatever that is, are you prepared for the serious arse beating you would have to take from the 'professionals' to make that come about?

I think an informal atmosphere is best for you. A very small space with trusted individuals who you could get to grow with quickly over time. Music, comedy, politics if you feel up to it...

The thing is with great talents like you, you always are difficult to deal with. You distrust people around you. And that is often a good instinct to start with in many ways. But it's disruptive to those that mean you well and just want you to have as much of a bite of the pie as they do.

It's all about trust and that is hard won.

Anyway, enough of that.

This isn't really my game, so I don't really care, I just think you could do well if you had someone to look after you. I don't know who that might be.

I think if you could get together with even one other person of your 'bent' or even better 'two'. Then you could do great things. But I won't pretend, you are the most temperamental of artists. I know you don't do it on purpose, but it's going to be off-putting to anyone taking you on.

Forget all that Wags. Forget I said anything. I think you are great.

Just keep on doing what you are doing.

Hopefully you can meet up with some kindred spirits to go along with you on your journey.

All of these things are surmountable.
Well, fortunately, I did meet someone musically who I get along with very well. He's the group leader. Maybe because we're both about the same age. Actually, he may be a little older than me. Our relationship is simple. He tells me what he needs from me, or what he would like, and I go and do it. So far, after over a year, there has been almost no friction between us. The only bit of tension was regarding the contract I had to sign. Some parts of it I wasn't thrilled with but after he explained why those parts had to be in, I was cool with it. Since then, it's been all smooth sailing. Of course it really helps that he loves my music, as does the band. They've got about 25 of my songs in the pipeline for future albums. I can't ask for more than that.

As for this video project, I honestly have no intention of this ever becoming a serious thing. It is all strictly for fun. The subject matter alone would make me extremely hesitant to put this out there for the masses. I can't even begin to imagine how those who dared to watch it would tear it to shreds. So I'm content being a one man show on this and doing it just for laughs.

Everybody needs a hobby.

What ... you are now a TV star!?
I think it's gonna be fun. Hopefully I don't insult you when thinking about your series be in the tradition of killer tomatoes or newer times master ken ... I really love these sort of productions that have their very unique charm, where you can "feel" through the screen that they were done with lot's of fun starting from writing up to do some improvising on the set. And one can feel a real dedication.
If I may suggest one thing - Watching the demo video and listening through headphones it occured to me, that the sound track could be pushed a little to the back when there are mono/dialogs. May be just add a little more ducking?

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:33 am What ... you are now a TV star!?
I think it's gonna be fun. Hopefully I don't insult you when thinking about your series be in the tradition of killer tomatoes or newer times master ken ... I really love these sort of productions that have their very unique charm, where you can "feel" through the screen that they were done with lot's of fun starting from writing up to do some improvising on the set. And one can feel a real dedication.
If I may suggest one thing - Watching the demo video and listening through headphones it occured to me, that the sound track could be pushed a little to the back when there are mono/dialogs. May be just add a little more ducking?
Yeah, I'm still getting the hang of underscoring. This is a whole new animal for me and it's gonna take time to polish it up.

As far as Killer Tomatoes or Master Ken, not familiar with either of them so I will definitely look them up to see what they're about.

Thank you for the feedback Peter. Always appreciated.

Return to “Music Cafe”