UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Technically VST2 should work fine in Apple Silicon but I suppose Steinberg won't support it for Cubase.
But AFAIK, please correct me if I am wrong, it will work fine in Reaper, Ableton Live and other VST host on OSX on Apple Silicon
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

otristan wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:12 pm Technically VST2 should work fine in Apple Silicon but I suppose Steinberg won't support it for Cubase.
But AFAIK, please correct me if I am wrong, it will work fine in Reaper, Ableton Live and other VST host on OSX on Apple Silicon
But only under Rosetta, right?

Nop. VST2 format should work as is on Apple Silicon and it does on non Steinberg DAW AFAIK.
It's just a deliberate move from Steinberg to force developers to move to VST3
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team

otristan wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:46 pm Nop. VST2 format should work as is on Apple Silicon and it does on non Steinberg DAW AFAIK.
It's just a deliberate move from Steinberg to force developers to move to VST3
Confirmed. This is some weird flex for sure. U-He, UVI etc. etc. all have native VST2 versions that run in native apps that don't support VST2 or 3 in Rosetta. From what I understand only AU translates x86 plug ins to M1 via Rosetta in M1 native DAWs, VST is not supported this way. I intentionally only have native versions of most plug ins on this M1 Air here, barring Amplitube 5 and VEP. Of the native plug ins I have almost all of them have native M1 VST2 versions.

They're essentially lying to their own customer base, it's just weird, and this kind of nonsense is one of the reasons why I've never used their DAW even though it looks like a good one. They famously lied that they would fix bugs in an update, then backpedaled and released a paid version upgrade with the bug fixes. :evil:

Thought the claim was fishy as I’d not heard this anywhere else.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

If Cubase 12 is VST3 only, do not worry, you guys will have a VST3 version of all our product. We know how to make those :)
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team

otristan wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:35 am If Cubase 12 is VST3 only, do not worry, you guys will have a VST3 version of all our product. We know how to make those :)
That's great. But please, multicore support, so we can use the IRCAM modes! :)

spoontechnique wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:23 pmI wouldn't say every new approach is better, but there is a collective experimentation and refinement that's happened since earlier soft synths. Falcon's routing and workflow are clunky in a way I associate with older soft synths, is all I mean.
I got into Falcon recently and I have to agree with this.

Something with the complexity of Falcon will be tedious, up to a point, and I have no problem with that. But the usability could be vastly improved.

Here are a couple of concrete examples:

1) FX cannot be reordered in the tree view. You have to double click on an FX on the tree view, leave the view you're currently working on, reorder the FX, and then come back to the view where you were previously, scroll down, etc.

2) The analog OSC has a voices setting but it doesn't have a semitones settings. You can't use it to add a sub OSC with multiple voices. The analog stack OSC has a semitones setting, but doesn't have voices. Instead of just adding a new OSC to the current keygroup you now have to create a new layer just to add a sub OSC.

3) Effects rack don't have a mix parameter and it's only possible to manage its effects from the tree view. This makes something as trivial as adding a reverb and an EQ to just the delay and not the dry signal very complicated.

I could go on, but you get the idea. These should be a given in 2021. Zebra for example had these features I mentioned almost 15 years ago.

I totally understand why spoontechnique would say Falcon is rooted in old UI/UX paradigms and that's because it's objectively the truth. Simply compare Falcon with products such as Ableton Live, Bitwig, KiloHearts, etc, which are not even so new anymore.

I appreciate UVI devs are putting a lot of effort into Falcon, but the product would benefit a lot more from a UI overhaul than more features. Falcon is already more powerful than Zebra, Omnisphere, and Kontakt combined and these are the popular products in the cinematic world.

pierb wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:32 am 1) FX cannot be reordered in the tree view. You have to double click on an FX on the tree view, leave the view you're currently working on, reorder the FX, and then come back to the view where you were previously, scroll down, etc.

I appreciate UVI devs are putting a lot of effort into Falcon, but the product would benefit a lot more from a UI overhaul than more features. Falcon is already more powerful than Zebra, Omnisphere, and Kontakt combined and these are the popular products in the cinematic world.
I tend to agree, most of the workflow needs to be accessible from the tree view, and that the weaknesses are more UI issues than anything else.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

It would be cool if you could detach all the modules like in HALion and then use them in full window size. In some places it is quite tricky to work in Falcon.

otristan wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:35 am If Cubase 12 is VST3 only, do not worry, you guys will have a VST3 version of all our product. We know how to make those :)
It officially is:
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/cubase-1 ... 748776/402
Steinberg has actively decided not to invest into VST 2 any more. The VST SDK is not supporting VST 2 since a couple of years. We are focusing on VST 3 as the modern and future proof technology. We are very open to work with 3rd party company on their transition to VST 3. NI has already released Kontakt as VST 3 and more will come from their side. Unfortunately UA is rather slow in this regards. If you don’t like that, please let them know.
(official Steinberg rep.)

Steinberg has actively decided not to invest into VST 2 any more. The VST SDK is not supporting VST 2 since a couple of years. We are focusing on VST 3 as the modern and future proof technology. We are very open to work with 3rd party company on their transition to VST 3. NI has already released Kontakt as VST 3 and more will come from their side. Unfortunately UA is rather slow in this regards. If you don’t like that, please let them know.
Steinberg has actively decided to press their very unloved VST3 API onto people.
If you don't like that, please let them know.

Or even better, let's have a better plugin standard from people who aren't as dull and stuck in the past as Steinberg (which in english would translate as "rockmountain" - so not really flexible at all... ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

digitallysane wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:45 pm
It officially is:
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/cubase-1 ... 748776/402
At some point indeed Cubendo may stop working with vst2 plugins, that time is not now. (unless you mean a Cubendo version that is Apple Silicon native, and you are running it on an Apple Silicon machine).
I can say no more.

but indeed new developers aren't legally allowed to use vst2 sdk etc, even if they find a way to download it.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:49 pm At some point indeed Cubendo may stop working with vst2 plugins, that time is not now. (unless you mean a Cubendo version that is Apple Silicon native).
I can say no more.

but indeed new developers aren't legally allowed to use vst2 sdk etc, even if they find a way to download it.
rsp
That quote is about Cubase 12 to be released next year.

I read it as either he is talking about the now announced Apple Silicon version of Cubase 12 running on an apple silicon machine, or a general statement about SB's vst3/vst2 policy.

As you can imagine, if Cubase is going to be released early next year, it has already been in beta for awhile.

Some of us here would know the answer with 100% certainty.

rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”